Thx-1138

Tools    

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
I just watched THX 1138: The Director's Cut at Cinerama.

George Lucas just couldn't leave it alone.

Like in the re-releases of the Star Wars triology, he added a bunch of unnecessary CGI(computer generated image) Special Effects.

What's next?

A Turner "colorized" version?

I still very much enjoyed seeing this on the huge screen.

Bad Morther****er
I'm going to the theater to see this tonight, I'm pretty excited to see what this is all about.
Justice will be served/ And the battle will rage/ This big dog will fight/ When you rattle his cage/ And you’ll be sorry that you messed with the U.S. of A./ Cause we`ll put a boot in your ass/ It`s the American way.
Courtesy Of The Red, White & Blue - Toby Keith

I'm not at all interested in seeing how Lucas has "fixed" this movie too. I have the original cut, letterboxed on LaserDisc. That'll do.

I had the opportunity to see this fudged THX on the big screen a while back. For free. I declined.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

There are those who call me...Tim.
I'll probably go and see this out of curiosity, but it would be nice to see the old version to compare the two.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I like how everyone judges Lucas for doing what he could never do before. Now that he has the money and the resources he is releasing the films he wanted to make and everyone is going ape**** over it. I say leave the guy alone, if these are the movies he wanted to make in the first place then let him make the changes -they're his movies after all, not yours.

There are those who call me...Tim.
The point is he isn't changing them for the better, he's just tinkering with them for the sake of it. You only have to look at the Star Wars Special Editions to see that. If he wanted to improve them, then he should've redone the space battles, not change parts of the dialogue in Empire which were fine to begin with.

If you've ever read an interview with Lucas, not just the recent ones, then you would know that he has never been satisfied with his movies - which is why saying he is "just tinkering with them for the sake of it" is a lie. He isn't adding/removing things because he just randomly feels like it. He isn't spending millions of dollars of his own money to just experiement with his movies, he is spending millions of dollars of his own money to finally make the movies he set out to make. And I say rock on George Lucas for having the balls to go all out regardless of what the fans want. Everyone was complaining that the Star Wars movies were becoming way too Hollywoodized - what he is doing with them is pretty much anti-Hollywood; he isn't sacrificing his film vision for the sake of the fans.

One of my favorite things he has said recently was in an interview with Yahoo!

AP: Do you pay much attention to fan reactions to your choices?

Lucas: Not really. The movies are what the movies are. ... The thing about science-fiction fans and "Star Wars" fans is they're very independent-thinking people. They all think outside the box, but they all have very strong ideas about what should happen, and they think it should be their way. Which is fine, except I'm making the movies, so I should have it my way.
George Lucas is hardcore and I now have a much larger respect for him than I ever did. Rock the **** on George Lucas!

i agree, lucas shouldn't give a sh*t about the picky fans who "enjoyed it the way it was back when they saw it in the whatever years ago." Lucas didn't have the technology he dreamed of back then, but now he does, so he can finally make his masterpiece.

Originally Posted by Miles
i agree, lucas shouldn't give a sh*t about the picky fans who "enjoyed it the way it was back when they saw it in the whatever years ago." Lucas didn't have the technology he dreamed of back then, but now he does, so he can finally make his masterpiece.
YEAH!

Too fu*kin' bad Fritz Lang is dead. Metroplois is an OK movie and all, but if he could get in there with some CGI today and do it "right"....man, that thing would be a bonafide CLASSIC! Kubrick should have fixed 2001 too before he croaked. That thing is a mess!

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
YEAH!

Too fu*kin' bad Fritz Lang is dead. Metroplois is an OK movie and all, but if he could get in there with some CGI today and do it "right"....man, that thing would be a bonafide CLASSIC! Kubrick should have fixed 2001 too before he croaked. That thing is a mess!
ok i see your point, didn't need the sarcasm buddy.

Originally Posted by Miles
didn't need the sarcasm buddy.
I thought you did. And thanks, for calling me "buddy", Pal.

Georgie Lucas should have this quote from Stevie Spielberg's Jurassic Park tattooed on his frippin' forehead: "Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should." Steve himself should take a gander every now and then, if he's not too busy talking on his CGI walkie talkie.

Oh, and somebody should sock Lucas in the nose too. I'd be willing to drive on down to Skywalker Ranch myself, if needed.

I agree the movies don't need any improvements and the ones he is making take away from the soul of the movies, but I perfectly support his right to do so.

Han shot first.

Originally Posted by OG-

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
...if he's not too busy talking on his CGI walkie talkie.

Petition for the Original Trilogy.

By the way, Holden, you said somewhere that you had the trilogy letterboxed on LD. Are these the original theatrical cuts? If so, damn, I need to get a copy.

Originally Posted by Garrett
By the way, Holden, you said somewhere that you had the trilogy letterboxed on LD. Are these the original theatrical cuts?
Yes. Of course.

The Satchel Snatcher's on the loose
Originally Posted by OG-
If you've ever read an interview with Lucas, not just the recent ones, then you would know that he has never been satisfied with his movies - which is why saying he is "just tinkering with them for the sake of it" is a lie. He isn't adding/removing things because he just randomly feels like it. He isn't spending millions of dollars of his own money to just experiement with his movies, he is spending millions of dollars of his own money to finally make the movies he set out to make. And I say rock on George Lucas for having the balls to go all out regardless of what the fans want. Everyone was complaining that the Star Wars movies were becoming way too Hollywoodized - what he is doing with them is pretty much anti-Hollywood; he isn't sacrificing his film vision for the sake of the fans.

One of my favorite things he has said recently was in an interview with Yahoo!

Yeah what you're sayin makes sense, he is now making the movies he always wanted too, but answer me this. Then why did he substitute Hayden Christiansen in for the original actor of Anakin Skywalker at the end of Return of the Jedi, Standing next to Alec Guiness and Yoda.

There's no way that was in the original plan.
I know why he's doing it though, but do you.

George Lucas is hardcore and I now have a much larger respect for him than I ever did. Rock the **** on George Lucas!

Yeah what you're sayin makes sense, he is now making the movies he always wanted too, but answer me this. Then why did he substitute Hayden Christiansen in for the original actor of Anakin Skywalker at the end of Return of the Jedi, Standing next to Alec Guiness and Yoda.
To give the movies more continuity (with the prequels at least). Sure it wasn't his original goal, he isn't Mrs. Cleo, but he still has the right to do so.