Phantom Edit

Tools    

Okay, I just heard of a new edited version of The Phantom Menace that someone online made. Does anyone know about this? I've just heard rumors. Like they made Jar Jar smarter or cut him out etc.. Has anyone seen the edited version?

'The Phantom Edit' Menaces Hollywood
By Erin Lauten
May 17, 2001 05:38 PM PDT

A mysterious video cassette containing a re-edited version of George Lucas' "Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace" has started circulating around Hollywood. Called "Star Wars Episode I.I: The Phantom Edit," the "special corrector's edition" challenges the vision of the original film. According to posts on an online Phantom Edit discussion forum, "The Phantom Edit" represents a better version of the story than the version that was released in May 1999, which has inspired strong negative feelings in many dyed-in-the-wool Star Wars fans -- including one dissatisfied fan who created a forum on the Internet called "Jar Jar Sucks So Hard I Can't Stand It!" The Razzies nominated "Phantom Menace" for a whopping seven "worst" awards, including worst picture of the year. (The film "won" for worst supporting actor for Ahmed Best, the voice of Jar-Jar Binks.)

The posts on the online discussion board, which hail from the likes of "TrueJedi," "SW lover" and "wisejedi," range significantly in subject matter. Some posts are desperate pleas for ideas on how to get a copy of "The Phantom Edit." Some delineate the differences between the original and the unauthorized re-edit. And some muse on the possible identity of "The Phantom Edit's" mysterious auteur. Many suggest that the new cut is the handiwork of filmmaker Kevin Smith ("Clerks," "Dogma").

I doubt it's Kevin Smith -- it's probably someone we've never heard of. Either way, I think Lucas and Co. would be smart to embrace this, track down the creator, and encourage their fans to do things like this every now and then.

I would love it to be Kevin Smith and it wouldn't surprise me because he is a huge Star Wars fan, but I really can't see it being him. If anyone knows where they can get their hands on a copy be sure to post it here.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Sounds cool. I'll ask around.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I found it on KazaA. Ripe for the download. I'd download it but I've got a 56k. So It'll take me a while. I'll report back in a week or so!