Musicians, directors, comedians, writers..

To me, autobiographies are even more interesting, but some didn't live long enough.. There's some who are more interesting than their work... When it comes to biographies, I usually try to find them all, to compare. And with the internet, I will stop so I can look up said concert, interview, etc., and compare it with the perception of the author.

Another great thing I like to do, and recommend, is if you see a quote - type it in a search engine and find the entire interview. The bibliography page has led me to finding full archives of free interviews/magazines.

Do you "investigate"? If you see conflicting reports, or something you think is off? Many of the biographies I read are events so old, and memories get hazy, and sometimes it's the modern-day influencing what is said, or not said.

I love interview/diary books as well. There's a compendium of interview books like "Conversations With Filmmakers Series" or "Musicians In Their Own Words".

I've read close to a hundred, and obviously the autobiography and biography (fairly new) of Mort Sahl's are most interesting, but I just finished:

Street Player (Danny Seraphine)
Edward Van Halen A Definitive Biography (Dodds, Kevin)

and currently reading:
Whiskey Bottles and Brand-New Cars The Fast Life and Sudden Death of Lynyrd Skynyrd (Ribowsky, Mark)