Movie: The World, the Flesh, and the Devil - re distant explosions

Tools    

Towards the end of the movie, "The World, the Flesh, and the Devil" there are several short shots of landscape in the distance and the closed caption reads "Distant Explosions" or is it "Explosions in the distance" - pretty much the same thing.

Does anyone know what that is all about? What explosions? Where are they occurring? What is causing them? What does it mean to the story?

Nothing is said about them except for those scenes I described. Characters don't say anything, there is no text explaining them - nothing..

What the heck are the "distance explosions"

I've done a lot of searching and have found nothing.

Thanks, that explains why I could not find anything about it.

There were no distant explosions. It's a mistake in the subtitles.

No, don't listen to Citizen. There ARE distant explosions, but you need the glasses given to audiences to watch 13 Ghosts to see them. Don't let the fact that I am lying about this dissuade you from hunting down a pair of Illusion-O-Glasses to confirm what I am saying here.

No, don't listen to Citizen. There ARE distant explosions, but you need the glasses given to audiences to watch 13 Ghosts to see them. Don't let the fact that I am lying about this dissuade you from hunting down a pair of Illusion-O-Glasses to confirm what I am saying here.
Rep for the 13 Ghosts reference...and hey it's only 13 days until Halloctober, good timing!