Films like “Thelma”?

Tools    

Just had another long browse and found nothing quite like it. I’ve probably seen most roughly similar films, as I’ve been researching this ever since it came out, but thought I’d ask around. Also what I’ve noticed is that the algorithm tends to emphasise the
WARNING: spoilers below
lesbian/LGBT
element, which I find slightly annoying (the algorithm aspect, not the element), because I’m looking for a more conceptual match in terms of it being Nordic/speculative/supernatural/integrating the supernatural seamlessly into the everyday (rather than full-on world building) etc. All recommendations appreciated.

I thought I bailed out of Thelma, but, reviewing it in wiki, now I’m not so sure.

Anyway, I can’t help in what you’re looking for.

Going off-topic, did you see The Power of the Dog? I saw it twice.

I really love Thelma, it’s absolutely 100 per cent up my street. Not sure you’ll like it as it’s a bit too speculative/horror-y (I think) for your taste, but I find it very sexy and interesting, the latter being far more unusual these days. Kind of keeps me guessing still.

I liked some things about The Power of the Dog (Jesse alone being in it makes it great ), though Elliott’s comments about homoerotic overtones perplex me. I’m very fond of said overtones if done well, but I just honestly totally do not see that here. Generally I’m not a massive Campion fan - my favourite film of hers is The Piano, boring as that is. But it is well made, will probably rewatch it soon.

Thelma was one of the movie nominations in the Foreign Language HoF. It came in middle of the pack after the members voted on the movies. I just now read my review and apparently I liked the movie.

Don't know if you care about reading other MoFo's opinions on Thelma but if you're interested here's a link to that HoF and the reviews by the members.
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...01#post1883101

I really love Thelma, it’s absolutely 100 per cent up my street. Not sure you’ll like it as it’s a bit too speculative/horror-y (I think) for your taste, but I find it very sexy and interesting, the latter being far more unusual these days. Kind of keeps me guessing still.
So this might not totally match, but elements of it (from an emotional point of view) made me think of Season of the Witch (the Romero one).

While I was really split on it, but also kind of Hagazussa?

Most of what I can think of are films that don't do things quite as well as Thelma. I would also throw Saint Maude in the ring in terms of the vibe and supernatural elements. Ooh, and also Amulet.

So this might not totally match, but elements of it (from an emotional point of view) made me think of Season of the Witch (the Romero one).

While I was really split on it, but also kind of Hagazussa?

Most of what I can think of are films that don't do things quite as well as Thelma.
That’s spot-on how I feel. Agree re: Saint Maud, though it wasn’t anywhere near as good. I have seen Hagazussa and it was alright, but hasn’t left much of an impression. I need to watch Season of the Witch, that’s been a major blind spot. Very excited now, hey

That’s spot-on how I feel. Agree re: Saint Maud, though it wasn’t anywhere near as good. I have seen Hagazussa and it was alright, but hasn’t left much of an impression. I need to watch Season of the Witch, that’s been a major blind spot. Very excited now, hey
I actually really loved Saint Maud.

I'll keep thinking on this question, because I feel like there should be a few more that fit the bill. Have you seen Burn, Witch, Burn?

I actually really loved Saint Maud.

I'll keep thinking on this question, because I feel like there should be a few more that fit the bill. Have you seen Burn, Witch, Burn?
Have not. Will check it out - thank you. I also feel there should be a bit more than what I can think of.

Not familiar with Thelma, but if we are talking about slow-burn, folk horror type stuff, this is underseen

Oh yes, this was phenomenal. Certainly the sort of thing I had in mind. Will give it another watch too.

I liked some things about The Power of the Dog (Jesse alone being in it makes it great ), though Elliott’s comments about homoerotic overtones perplex me. I’m very fond of said overtones if done well, but I just honestly totally do not see that here. Generally I’m not a massive Campion fan - my favourite film of hers is The Piano, boring as that is. But it is well made, will probably rewatch it soon.
Never been able to finish The Piano. Not even close.

Sam Elliott is simply looking for attention. I choose to ignore him.

You don’t see “homoerotic overtones” in the movie? Are we talking about the same movie?

Never been able to finish The Piano. Not even close.
Why not? Also when you don’t finish films, do you get bored or do you actively dislike something about them?

Agreed on SE, overtones-wise, it’s a matter of taste, I guess - this is not a film where I’d say that jumped out to me particularly, unlike Ripley etc (though I appreciate Ripley is explicitly about that, unlike this).

Why not? Also when you don’t finish films, do you get bored or do you actively dislike something about them?
Both. If a movie bores me, I immediately move on to something else. I do not like being bored.

I dislike movies where I don’t believe in the characters. Or the actors are badly directed.

I actually think I have excellent taste so I don’t worry that I’m missing out on something by bailing out.

And, admittedly, I have loved movies that I initially bailed out of. Wind River for one.

Both. If a movie bores me, I immediately move on to something else. I do not like being bored.

I dislike movies where I don’t believe in the characters. Or the actors are badly directed.

I actually think I have excellent taste so I don’t worry that I’m missing out on something by bailing out.

And, admittedly, I have loved movies that I initially bailed out of. Wind River for one.
Yes, I can understand that. Not believing in characters is especially annoying. Start to think you have more of a point than I do, as I make a point to finish everything and often end up frustrated in the process.

Yes, I can understand that. Not believing in characters is especially annoying. Start to think you have more of a point than I do, as I make a point to finish everything and often end up frustrated in the process.
A lot of people finish every movie they start whether or not they enjoy it. Supposedly books too.

I just can’t do this. My free time is to be spent in enjoyable occupations & being bored silly for 2 hours is not one of them. And I bail out of so many books that I am taking a break from books. And I’m a big-time reader.

A lot of people finish every movie they start whether or not they enjoy it. Supposedly books too.

I just can’t do this. My free time is to be spent in enjoyable occupations & being bored silly for 2 hours is not one of them. And I bail out of so many books that I am taking a break from books. And I’m a big-time reader.
That’s fair enough. The only thing I’d say on my end is that I have found some films I distinctly disliked to stay in my memory for a very long time over the years. But I’m not sure that’s an argument for ploughing through them. I will admit that I’m less tenacious with books and will abandon them if I truly hate them, but that doesn’t happen too often.