The MOFO Preliminary Discussion of the Top 100 Comedies

→ in
Tools    

Ladies and gentlemen,

We can finally get started with the Comedy Countdown!

A list of the Top 100 Comedies of All-Time comes with unique challenges: comedy can be such a broad category, and can require the watcher’s judgment as to what is a comedy, and what is not. For instance, I never considered The Graduate to be a comedy, however it appears on several Best Comedies lists. There are also Dark Comedies which require a great degree of subjectivity. In other words, what seems like a comedy to an individual might not seem like a comedy to another. Rather than telling you what a comedy is or is not, you can make that decision for yourself. You have three months to view movies that will make your ballot. The due date is June 2nd, 2022 by 11:59 p.m.

How It Works

If you've never participated in one of these, don't be intimidated: it's easy! Any member registered for at least one month is eligible to participate. Just rank your top 25 comedies (no restrictions on years). The order matters, because it determines scoring: your #1 film receives 25 points, you #2 film receives 24, and so on, with your last film, the #25 film, receiving a single point.

The Usual Annoying Rules/Details

Any decade, any length, any language, streaming or not, but there are a few things you need to know:
  1. You have to nominate movies individually
    You can’t nominate movies in a series (such as The Lord of the Rings series together). You must nominate each film in the series individually The Lord of the Rings is not generally considered a comedy, but you get the idea. If there are any edge cases, ask about them here and we'll make a ruling, and probably keep a running list of said cases to make things easier on others.
  2. Do not reveal your list
    This is important! Please do not post or discuss where a film was in your rankings until it's revealed during the countdown. Mistakes happen, but depending on specifics this may cause your ballot to become disqualified.
  3. Your list is final
    Please note that once your list is submitted, it will be considered final. So make sure you see the films you want to beforehand. You've got time. You actually have four months. And while that sounds like a lot, you'll be amazed at how quickly that last week will arrive.

The countdown will begin shortly after voting ends (the exact date will be determined based on how much work is left, but safe bet it'll start less than a week after the closing date. Each day during the countdown we'll reveal two films from the list, though we may switch to one as we near the end, and we may skip a day here or there for major holidays. Once a film is revealed, the thread is open for discussion on its placement. Remember to keep it civil, this is all in good fun!

We Have a Ballot Link
Submit your ballot here https://www.movieforums.com/ballot.php

Ballot's Received:
Holden Pike
Hey Frederick
John W. Constatine
Tugg
Matt 72582
Moviefan1988
Torgo
donnie darko
ML
Kgaard
Mr Blond
John Dumbear
Allaby
Thursday Next
Deschain
SpelingError
Kaplan
seanc
xSookieStackhouse
Austruck
Death Proof
Diehl40
aronisred
Tokoma11
mojofilter
PHOENIX74
bradpitt
Raven73
crumbsroom
Steve Freeling
Daniel M
Scarlet Lion
Movie Meditation
Esmasus Sapos
Little Ash
Omnizoa
Miss Vicky
Groga
Thracian Dawg
Urkillinmesmalls
Powdered Water
The Usual Suspect
Frightened Inmate #2
Citizen Rules
Wbadger
Rauldc14
7th son
John Connor
Wigram
Cee Gee Reviews
R brayer
Fabulous
Markf
Adersenal
Rockatansky
Harry Lime
Jinaffetastin
Marlon Brando
Gulfport Doc
Slenter7
Ah Well
dedgumblah
Wyldesude19
Sedai
Cricket
loudykazoku
IrishSansred
Siddon
Yoda
Captain Spalding
Mistique
Rusty G.
Sarah F
gbgoodies
honeykid
iroquois
cobbyth
agrippinax
Thief
ynwtf
Wooley
Captain T
Apex Predator
beelzububble
Obi wan mifune
John Mcclain
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	vqcZtAT.png
Views:	4056
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	85758  

I imagine some of you want to submit your list right away, but I need some time to prep the ballot software for the new list, so you'll have to wait at least a few days, maybe a week or two. Gives you some time to reconsider.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I like the rules. If I submit a movie no one else finds funny, then it won't make the list.

Three months is more than plenty of time, but I'll only need a day or two before sending my list. Thanks for doing this, Diehl!

Out of curiosity, what is your criteria for favorite comedies? Personally, if I've laughed aloud or inside once, it has a good chance. Once those are up, I go with the writing, or scenes that are audacious, usually black humor. The actor makes a difference, especially the angry types.

Out of curiosity, what is your criteria for favorite comedies? Personally, if I've laughed aloud or inside once, it has a good chance. Once those are up, I go with the writing, or scenes that are audacious, usually black humor. The actor makes a difference, especially the angry types.
Unless you're asking what Diehl's personal definition is, just to make conversation, the first post mentions that there is no criteria: anyone can vote for any film that consider a comedy.

The trick is not minding
There's no way to submit yet. We'll be using the same ballot tool as last time, but I mentioned just above that it needs to be prepped a bit more.
*Submits 5 lists for good measure*

Did they get through?
👀

To be honest I expect this to end up with a list where I really don't care much for the majority of fillums on it (my sending in a list would be highly unlikely to change that) but as ever I wish the endeavour well and shall follow the countdown and participate in that thread as best as I can without being a wet blanket. I'm sure Diehl40 and co will do a grand job - certainly off to a (Monty Python) flying start with that OP artwork

Unless you're asking what Diehl's personal definition is, just to make conversation, the first post mentions that there is no criteria: anyone can vote for any film that consider a comedy.

I know, I'm just asking out of curiosity.

Victim of The Night
Considering the vastness of comedic film, I’d be shocked if anyone gets ten off their ballot to appear in this countdown.
Absolutely, I think I've hit 25 already and I'm not even past 1950.

A system of cells interlinked
1 - 25 : Heathers

This is gonna be hard. Several of my favorite movies that aren't generally considered comedies are really funny. But also, there are a lot of favorites that are considered comedies but I don't love them for their humor. Do I vote for the ones that aren't considered comedies because they crack me up even though I know I'll probably be the only voter? And do I vote for the ones that are considered comedies even though it's the emotional impact of them that I love? How do I decide?!