Cartoon Grandpa telling ghost stories

Tools    

So the only other person I know who remembers this cartoon is my brother who also can’t remember the name and the remainder of the internet has failed me. It’s something we watched in the late 1980s/early 1990s and the gist of the story that we remember is a grandfather telling his grandkids about the time he stayed in a haunted house. I vaguely remember it being 8 bit animation, with a little boy in blue and white striped pajamas, walking through a haunted house with flashlight and there’s a storm outside. Lighting randomly flashes, making ghosts appear in the shadows. One very specific detail that I remember is that because it’s the grandchildren’s imagination showing the story, the little boy has a mustache because they only know their grandfather with a mustache.

What my brother and I can’t agree on is whether is was a kids book accompanied with a movie or some sort of a kids video game? Any clues would be greatly appreciated!

"How tall is King Kong ?"
8 bits ? I'm not sure I understand. You mean coarsely pixelated, and in 256 colors ?

That's unusual, tv didn't make computer animations with that tech as far as I know. Was it voiced ?

I mean, even the Hugo game show was based on 32 bits Amigas. Or do you mean something else ?

8 bits ? I'm not sure I understand. You mean coarsely pixelated, and in 256 colors ?

That's unusual, tv didn't make computer animations with that tech as far as I know. Was it voiced ?

I mean, even the Hugo game show was based on 32 bits Amigas. Or do you mean something else ?
Maybe I’m using the wrong terms but I remember it being animated similarly to Super Mario video games from the time (essentially the “grandpa” looked like Mario but in striped pajamas). Again, it may have been a video game and not a movie.

"How tall is King Kong ?"
Maybe I’m using the wrong terms but I remember it being animated similarly to Super Mario video games from the time (essentially the “grandpa” looked like Mario but in striped pajamas).
It would be the right term, then. It just makes it surprising for a cartoon.

And the premise is surprising for a videogame (they had less elaborate ones).

Makes it a weird object.

If it's a videogame, the way you describe it makes it some sort of platformer, right ?

My brother remembers it being an interactive book, like a video and book you looked at together.