Ichi the Killer

→ in
Tools    

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
I saw this movie a while ago, and, to say the least, I'm hooked on Miike's style. The man has some of the best visuals I've seen in a long time. Say what you will about the violence in the film, I thought the movie was great.

Has anybody seen this? What did you think?

Hi
It entertained me incredibly just like all his others but i refuse to give any serious thought to the ending.

Originally Posted by Tuna
It entertained me incredibly just like all his others but i refuse to give any serious thought to the ending.
Allow me to attempt to do some for you....

WARNING: "Ichi the Killer" spoilers below
Lets see how this works...The bright resolution in scenes only occurs when a character's mind is reverted to its primal desires and thoughts, such as what has been programmed into their personalities. (Example, Ichi-the rape) Kakihara, barely piercing his brain with that sharp thing of his, reverts to his basest primal desire: to feel pain. He sees Ichi killing him, when, in actuality, he stumbles around and falls to his death. Jiji sees that Kakihara killed himself, and that Ichi failed. The kid kicks Ichi to death. Kakihara, being dead, is in his own personal hell. The blue color of it is in stark contrast to the red of the blood he so desired to see, (as well as the color scheme of his clothes for the most part). In Kakihara's hell, the worst possible thing is to be alone, doing nothing. He cannot feel pain, which, for him, is the ultimate suffering. Jiji, seeing that his plan failed, hangs himself. The kid, after killing Ichi, symbolically wears the dark rain coat Ichi donned earlier. The kid has become the killer.

That's what I got from it. (Was that good, or am I grasping at straws...?)

Hi
That's a good interpretation of it but a couple things I think about it is
WARNING: "ichi" spoilers below
Are you sure it was the kid wearing the coat? I always assumed it was just Ichi lost and confused after seeing his master had killed himself and nothing was there to motivate him. A good observation with the blue color, I never noticed that and it makes a lot of sense. The part about that scene I was confused with was the significance of his mouth opening. Was it just some random joke because of his slit cheeks?
The other reason I am discouraged to take a more serious thoughtful look into his movies is because I assume he mostly sets out to entertain and shock without too much substance. Audition had a simple message that was clear but not too deep. His yakuza films don't seem to help change my opinion of him either so when I watch Ichi and suddenly there is a somewhat unclear message I wonder if I'm overanalyzing it. Still don't get the wrong message, he's one of my favorite directors because he entertains me either way..

I'm fairly certain it isn't Ichi....

But maybe.

Mother! Oh, God! Mother! Blood!
This film was featured for a couple of days on the mail order DVD rental website I use (similar to Netflix, only better cult, foreign, indie, and classic choices). I considered getting it, then decided it against it. Now I think I'll get it.
NEW (as of 1/24/05): Quick Reviews #10

Hi
Greencine right? I use it too.

Mother! Oh, God! Mother! Blood!
Originally Posted by Tuna
Greencine right? I use it too.
Right. Did you see it featured on the homepage the other day?

What's the turnaround on your DVDs? They usually receive my DVDs the day after I mail them, and I recieve new ones the next day, or day after that! (I live two hours from SF).

Hi
Yeah i actually did see it on the daily list.
I hate you for your turnaround time I live in Massachusetts so its like 3-4 days each way but im sticking for an East Coast Distributor soon..

the movie was good but that commentary track on the dvd was horrible all they did was talk about how much tarantino loved it...

Originally Posted by AlexBlack
the movie was good but that commentary track on the dvd was horrible all they did was talk about how much tarantino loved it...
Which isn't a bad thing.

I don't know what it is about this movie but I hated it. Despite all the gore and violence I thought it was very boring, and much too slow. I think that if it didn't have so many sub-plots going on within it the movie would have seemed more focused, easier to follow, and to me much more entertaining. Plus the violence actually seemed toned down a little from the trailer I saw a while back which sort of disappointed me. (I know that sounds sick).

You can't help but respect a guy who chops his own tongue off for an apology. Loved this film-and, got to say, "Audition" also by Miike is outdone by this one!!!

The trailer is enough to scar people with a low-tolerance for violence for the rest of their lives.

Originally Posted by runningscared
You can't help but respect a guy who chops his own tongue off for an apology. Loved this film-and, got to say, "Audition" also by Miike is outdone by this one!!!
WARNING: "Ichi the Killer" spoilers below
What I really thought was awesome about Kakihara is that when he cut his tongue out he wore a bib to protect his awesome suit. The reason I love this movie is because Kakihara is so awesomely evil. One of the greatest villains ever.