Copland (1997) review

→ in
Tools    

Copland is a film that i ignored for many years, probably because as a kid
I only saw sly stallone as a action star, when i saw the trailer of this film, i thought
No i don t like his role, but god i was wrong, i just watched it today, and boy how
From the first 5 mins u feel interested of what is gonna unfold in garrison new jersey

Copland is another example of 90s film that make u feel as if you live there, it shows u every nick and crooney in new jersey, and the scenery is amazing with the way james mangold handles the scenes, the direction is great, the acting is superb, especially from sly himself
I like ray liotta s role , he s brilliant with how his role manages to give that multiple side feel,
You never know whether he s good or bad, until the end.
All in all a great 90s cop drama.

this movie perfectly sums up james mangold as a director. He is good at making competently made movies and tries to make them as fresh as possible. But, he never aims for greatness in his movies. It almost feels like he is afraid of failing and fears someone will take away directing privileges from him, so he tries to please people.

Whacking people is at its best in a gangster genre. The moment you put it in a movie about cops with cops doing the whacking, it will never be as cool as when gangsters do it and especially not when all the dirty cops look like bad guys.

this movie perfectly sums up james mangold as a director. He is good at making competently made movies and tries to make them as fresh as possible. But, he never aims for greatness in his movies. It almost feels like he is afraid of failing and fears someone will take away directing privileges from him, so he tries to please people.
Oy, this again? This just empty speculation. You don't know these people and cannot glean deep, intimate details about their psyche from watching a few of their movies. Like, not even close. Doing so is aggressively silly and the resulting opinions are impossible to take seriously.