African Movies

Tools    

Sorry for my bad English :p
hello, and happy quarantine for y'all
so in this time of self quarantine and since i live in the wuhan of algeria lol , i decided to take this time to watch some african movies,
i havent seen much of african cinema before , ive seen a lot of algerian and egyptien movies , some movies from tunisia , morocco , south africa , plus few others like moolaadé, timbuktu ...

so what do you suggest ?

hello, and happy quarantine for y'all
so in this time of self quarantine and since i live in the wuhan of algeria lol , i decided to take this time to watch some african movies,
i havent seen much of african cinema before , ive seen a lot of algerian and egyptien movies , some movies from tunisia , morocco , south africa , plus few others like moolaadé, timbuktu ...

so what do you suggest ?
Cool idea, I don't know of any personally, but it will be interesting to see what people mention.

Not seen Tsotsi for a number of years but it left an impression on me.
Sadly I don't generally get to watch too much from there and of the more recent African watches I wasn't overly impressed with either I Am Not A Witch or Rafiki myself, though both have received some acclaim so you might want to check them out.

edit: Just noticed you said you already saw Timbuktu

Not seen Tsotsi for a number of years but it left an impression on me.
Sadly I don't generally get to watch too much from there and of the more recent African watches I wasn't overly impressed with either I Am Not A Witch or Rafiki myself, though both have received some acclaim so you might want to check them out.

edit: Just noticed you said you already saw Timbuktu
ive seen i am not a which and i wasnt impressed neither , tsotsi is in my watchlist

Welcome to the human race...
A recent one I liked was Five Fingers for Marseilles, which plays like an African version of a revisionist Western.

Also, if your cinematic sensibilities skew that way, I recommend Who Killed Captain Alex? and Bad Black as low-budget action-packed fun.

A recent one I liked was Five Fingers for Marseilles, which plays like an African version of a revisionist Western.

Also, if your cinematic sensibilities skew that way, I recommend Who Killed Captain Alex? and Bad Black as low-budget action-packed fun.
i've heard of who killed captain alex? ; its one of those movies so bad that are good

Black Girl (1966)
Sambizanga (1972)
The Child of Another (1975)
Harvest: 3000 Years (1976)
Yeelen (1987)
Buud Yam (1997)
Bamako (2006)
The Square (2013)
Beats of the Antonov (2014)
Atlantics (2019)

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
There was also an action movie that came out around the late 2000s that was set in the Congo, if I remember correct. Does anyone know which action movie this was?

Black Girl (1966)
Sambizanga (1972)
The Child of Another (1975)
Harvest: 3000 Years (1976)
Yeelen (1987)
Buud Yam (1997)
Bamako (2006)
The Square (2013)
Beats of the Antonov (2014)
Atlantics (2019)
great ! thanks for the list

If you haven't seen this, you have to take a long hard look at your life!!!!

I have seen quite a few, but other than Tsotsi, coz of the Oscar thing, barely remember any of the names. One, I watch them very rarely, two, none of the movies were that memorable to begin with.

If you haven't seen this, you have to take a long hard look at your life!!!!

I have seen quite a few, but other than Tsotsi, coz of the Oscar thing, barely remember any of the names. One, I watch them very rarely, two, none of the movies were that memorable to begin with.
ive seen a video on vice about uganda movies or Wakaliwood, and im planning to see who killed captain alex? seems like the best movie since the room

ive seen a video on vice about uganda movies or Wakaliwood, and im planning to see who killed captain alex? seems like the best movie since the room

I many respects it's better than the Room. The movie is so bad it's effing brilliant. Room can feel dull, but with this one, not a chance.

The movie's budget was $200. But the heart and effort of the filmmakers just oozes from every frame. And the kung fu!!!! They are all poor. From what I know the actors are all self-taught. If you buy it online, you get a t-shirt too. At least I got one. Unfortunately ripped it!

And a heart-warming note from the director saying Thanks!

I many respects it's better than the Room. The movie is so bad it's effing brilliant. Room can feel dull, but with this one, not a chance.

The movie's budget was $200. But the heart and effort of the filmmakers just oozes from every frame. And the kung fu!!!! They are all poor. From what I know the actors are all self-taught. If you buy it online, you get a t-shirt too. At least I got one. Unfortunately ripped it!

And a heart-warming note from the director saying Thanks!
i was going to watch it on youtube, but now im gonna buy it online ! thanks

After scratching my head for a while Touki Bouki comes to mind. It has achieved some sort of a cult status now. I think Queen of Katwe can qualify as an African film.

BANNED
Ready Player 1
Wrinkle In Time
Uncle Drew
Hardflip
Project X
Blockers

I recently saw "Out of Africa" starring Meryl Streep. It is a romantic movie, but gives a good feel of Africa (although I have never been there myself)