Question about the plot and ending to The Farewell (2019)

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I found the movie's premise to be kind of far fetched, even though it was based on a true story. So in the movie the family and relatives of a woman do not want to tell her that she is dying of cancer and all come up with an excuse to all come see her, the wedding...

It is also said in the movie that this is a part of Chinese culture, and this tradition of not telling the her person they are dying has been done before over and over in the generations.

WARNING: "SPOILER" spoilers below
The woman who is dying, Nai Nai, also kept her own husband's terminal illness from him when he died, a secret from him as well. So when this is a traditional culture thing in China and the culture seems to know about it, how is it that Nai Nai was able to be fooled by everyone? She has symptoms of illness and it gets worse with coughing, yet when her family tells her that she is fine, with medical results that they are relaying to her, she is completely fooled, even though she herself fooled her own husband this way.

However, at the end of the movie after they say their goodbyes to Nai Nai, and drive away, Nai Nai starts to cry after, and her look changes to much more sadness compared to before they left. So does indicate that Nai Nai, highly suspected the whole time, and they weren't really fooling her then, cause she is well aware of the tradition?

She was sad coz her granddaughter and the rest were leaving. Back to the common humdrum of daily life. The about suspecting it, no one likes to think terminal illness. Death is ubiquitous, but we as humans don't always think about it.

Really, cause I am just really surprised they were able to fool her, when they all grew up in a culture where it's common practice. You think that having experienced it with her own husband would get her suspicions raised and set off alarm bells. I just don't by we don't think about death for it occur to us as that plausible, especially when you fooled your own husband with it.

Can't really say, even if she did we are looking at the story through Akwafina's lens. It might have crossed her mind. But Nai Nai's sister handles every situation brilliantly. A very resourceful lady!

Oh okay thanks . There is one other thing. It was said in the movie she has stage IV cancer.

WARNING: "SPOILER" spoilers below
However, at the end, she is completely cured it seems as she has lived on for six more years so far. But with stage IV, there is no chance you can live that long I thought, unless they are able to shrink the spreading of the cancer with chemo.
But since no one told her she had, and she didn't receive any chemo, than how was she able to last six more years then?

Now I am no Cancer expert.... Are there any doctors in the house?

Medical miracles happen. I have no clue about it.

It turns out her grandmother still hasn't seen the film!

Now I am no Cancer expert.... Are there any doctors in the house?

Medical miracles happen. I have no clue about it.
Oh okay it's just everyone I know who has had staged IV cancer has died, and that is with treatment, so I am wondering how did she live, if they didn't even give her the treatment?

Another thing about the movie is that I read it was a comedy-drama, but I found it to be mostly a drama, with very little comedy in it, accept for a couple of laughs here and there, but mostly a serious drama. Not that that's bad, but perhaps mis-marketed when reading the genre on sites?

Yes there were laughs in bits and pieces. It is mostly a drama. Everyone I know (2) have passed away with Stage IV. There is one guy in my office who came back from Stage III. But I would be talking about it from my rear end, if I had to dive into the medical terms and how it all works.

Oh okay well if it's possible to beat stage IV cancer, than why didn't the family tell her in order to get her treatment? Did they think she didn't have a chance of beating it, even if the doctor says there is a chance?

It could very well be a wrong diagnosis. But with cancer and lumpy stuff, can the doctors mess it up?