So there is a movie adaptation of Fantasy Island coming out?

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Here it is:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0983946/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I feel that Michael Pena is really miscast though as Mr. Roarke. I feel that Antonio Bandaras would have actually been perfect for it, and feel he is the obvious choice. Not sure why they went for Pena.

I also noticed that the Tattoo character, is not in the cast at all, it seems, which may be a let down, but maybe not.. What do you think of this film adaptation?

My initial vibe is... it's going to be awful.
But sometimes the worst looking previews are for the best movies and vice versa.

I remember the first couple Fantasy Island TV movies (before it became a series) and Roarke was basically some kind of villain (almost like a genius super-villain, or a James Bond villain.) As the show progressed, it got cheesier and Roarke became nicer - with shark-jumping hints of him being some sort of divine or angelic being.

But, yeah, Pena just seems so wrong for Roarke when we only have Ricardo Montalban to compare him to.
To quote Dennis Hopper... Montalban was... "suave!"

...I remember the first couple Fantasy Island TV movies (before it became a series) and Roarke was basically some kind of villain (almost like a genius super-villain, or a James Bond villain.)
I do remember that...

As the show progressed, it got cheesier and Roarke became nicer - with shark-jumping hints of him being some sort of divine or angelic being...
...and this

I watched Fantasy Island every week for years for one reason...it came on after The Love Boat. I liked Fantasy Island but not real interested in a re-hash. Besides there's nobody who can fill the shoes of Ricardo Montalban.

It just came to me that Roarke may have been another "Jigsaw" precursor - a nefarious genius who often put people in peril or tested them with difficult choices to teach them something about themselves, to ultimately force them to overcome inner demons or become better people.

I do remember that...

...and this

I watched Fantasy Island every week for years for one reason...it came on after The Love Boat. I liked Fantasy Island but not real interested in a re-hash. Besides there's nobody can fill the shoes of Ricardo Montalban.
Since the shows were back to back, I always longed for a Love Boat / Fantasy Island crossover - with the crew members having to live out (or face) their "fantasies" as Captain Stubbing would have to engage in a duel of wits with Mr. Roarke to save his crew and passengers!

Since the shows were back to back, I always longed for a Love Boat / Fantasy Island crossover - with the crew members having to live out (or face) their "fantasies" as Captain Stubbing would have to engage in a duel of wits with Mr. Roarke to save his crew and passengers!
Could you see "Murray Slaughter" (Gavin MacLeod) vs. "Khan Noonien Singh" (Ricardo Mantalban)?

I think they did do a crossover with the Love Boat docking at Fantasy Island. Actually they would've needed to use Tenders.

I think they did do a crossover with the Love Boat docking at Fantasy Island. Actually they would've needed to use Tenders.
If they ever had made a Love Boat vs. Fantasy Island mini-series, Bert Convy would HAVE to guest star!

Non-sequitor: but I always thought it weird that in Monty Python's The Meaning of Life (in the last segment where everyone is in heaven) ...the nightclub singer (Graham Chapman) appears to be made up to look like Bert Convy! Was he supposed to look like Convy? Was he supposed to BE Convy? Was it an accident? I always wondered.

Why do you think they left out the Tattoo character?
It just seems likely, since the cast does not mention the character at all, and it already seems heavily cast so far.

I think a Fantasy Island movie could be good if they did it in the same kind of spirit as The Game (1997), or Totall Recall (1990), where the character is not sure what is real and what not, and why.. Maybe?

It just seems likely, since the cast does not mention the character at all, and it already seems heavily cast so far.

I think a Fantasy Island movie could be good if they did it in the same kind of spirit as The Game (1997), or Totall Recall (1990), where the character is not sure what is real and what not, and why.. Maybe?
In your opinion, why would the director decide not to include Tattoo?

Oh I don't know why the director would not, it just seemed that way. Don't know why though, but it got me curious.

Take a look at this thread, it might answer the question for you.
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=60585
Yeah... I was thinking along the lines that the PC / Woke crowd would view featuring a dwarf character as some sort of exploitation of little people. Whereas, in reality, as with any other actor, it would be giving someone a job.

Funny, I mentioned Roarke as seeming like a Bond villain earlier... when Herve Villechaize was given the role of Tattoo most likely based on his role as the murderous henchman of a Bond villain (called "Nick Nack") in The Man with the Golden Gun (1973).

But there have other works of fiction that have had little people characters, and people were not offended though. Look at Game of Thrones for example?

Plus I thought it might have an opposite effect with audiences, such as finally another actor with such a height, has gotten a role like that now since Game of Thrones. Isn't it offensive to not have the character, saying that little people are touchy and easily offended to hire for a movie nowadays?

Or if modern audiences are so offended of a little person character, than why not hire an actor of regular size to play the character then, cause then at least you would still have the character?

Yeah... I was thinking along the lines that the PC / Woke crowd would view featuring a dwarf character as some sort of exploitation of little people. Whereas, in reality, as with any other actor, it would be giving someone a job.
That's what I was thinking. To be specific, I could see if this Fantasy Island remake cast a dwarf actor in the role of Tattoo, there would be those members of PC/Woke culture that would cry foul. Just like Tattoo cried out, 'da plane, boss, da plane!' A lot of the PC/Woke stuff is really about people who don't want to be reminded that at one time society and movies did mistreat and make fun of people who were different.

Did the original Fantasy Island make fun of Tattoo? I don't think so and to me he was always an important part of the show. But to others he might look like the servant of the white man. Despite the fact that Ricardo Montalban was Hispanic...but that's the PC/Woke culture for you, making no sense at all.

But I thought that members of PC/woke culture would cry foul and not include Tattoo, because, they would be insulted that they decided to exclude a little person character and give such an actor a chance.

But I thought that members of PC/woke culture would cry foul and not include Tattoo, because, they would be insulted that they decided to exclude a little person character and give such an actor a chance.
That too...There's just no pleasing some people.

But they would theoretically be more please to have the character than not have him. Not having him would be like remaking Lethal Weapon, but then saying, "Woke culture would not like us having a black partner for Martin Riggs, cause of the sensitive race issue now, so let's take the black parter out entirely".

Wouldn't that offend them more, rather than having the character still be in it?