Great Artists No One Tried To Emulate?

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Many artists living/dead have been influential, and some that came after had/have no problem admitting they were heavily influenced by singing and/or lyrical style, dance moves, etc.. But I'm sure there are some artists no one would dare to emulate, because it would come off silly. I'm guessing most candidates will be lead singers. I think most would laugh at someone trying to pretend to be Jim Morrison, for example.

Jim Morrison is a drunken buffoon posing as a poet. Give me the Guess Who. They have the courage to BE drunken buffoons, which MAKES them poetic.

Go listen to Guess Who's "Friend of Mine" -- it's actually a complete Jim Morrison rip-off (and not in a good way).. It's actually my favorite song of theirs. I've had music friends over, and on two different occasions, they thought it was The Doors. Then of course, listening to the lyrics, Burton is talking about Kurt, etc.

Friends of Mine is your favorite The Guess Who’s song?

You know Jim Morrison could never have written that, don’t you? But yeah, I know the song lol
Yes, it's my favorite song. And I imagine it would be difficult to write a parody like that for Jim.

No one attempted to emulate Harry Partch (1901-1974) because his complex compositions were written in microtonal scales for a myriad of string, percussion and keyboard instruments that he had designed and built himself. He was one of America's most unique composers, oftentimes grouped with John Cage and Henry Cowell.