Do you think that Sundance has 'sold out'?

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I thought that the purpose of the Sundance film festival was to give indie filmmakers a chance, but it seems they only pick movies that have stars and named actors in and other things like that. But I feel it's a sell out, because indie films don't need named actors and all, and that's the point of an indie film, unknowns...

So I wonder if they have become too Hollywood and become what they were trying to be separate from. What do you think?

I remember reading an article four or five years ago, saying the same thing about Sundance.

Having visited some festivals here in the city, I can say that is the case with all festivals. Initially when they are new, seeking sponsors, they seem like small events championing indies, from which maybe few movies get picked for major releases. In few years couple of those films become really successful, casting a light on the festival, which in turn attracts more sponsors, allowing the festival to advertise itself more. Unsurprisingly, that catches the eyes of bigger fishes who then offer themselves to the event. The festival can't say no because it only helps it to grow bigger, which attracts more stars... And that's how it happens all the time.

Weird is relative.
Sundance is held at such an inconvenient time of year. It's way too cold and snowy in Salt Lake City for me to want to travel there at that time, even though I keep intending on doing so...

Anyway, I think they're still doing fine at promoting smaller films that then become popular on the awards circuit later in the year.