Soda fountain screenshot

Tools    

Hi all,
do you know whether this picture comes from a movie or it is just an old ad for a soda fountain ? Can't identify any face with Google Image.
Thanks a lot in advance

What an excellent day for an exorcism
Winnie the Pooh!

That's Sterling Holloway (wearing glasses), who did the voice for Disney's Winnie the Pooh. You could search his filmography to see if that image pulls up. He looks very young there, so likely a film in the thirties....maybe forties.

Also, a good chance that place is called Doug's Soda Shop/Fountain, etc. (the name backwards is partially covered by the guy's hat )

And, behind the lady is an advertisement for Calvert liquor, which was not founded until the mid-forties.

What doesn't make sense, is the cigarettes (Kool's) shows they are 15 cents a pack. That was the price range in the thirties, but they were at least 20 cents a pack in the forties.

However, behind the clerk is a Motion Picture magazine for 10 cents, which was the going price all the way to the late forties.

And among the magazine rack includes The Golden Book magazine, which ceased publication in the late thirties.

The Heinz ketchup bottle is the design of the thirties, but by the forties, they had removed the middle label (on the shoulder of the bottle).

The candlestick style telephone behind the clerk is definitely the style of the early thirties

It seems this image has a combination of thirties and forties visual icons.

Also, behind the lady is a "pre-Speedy" Alka Seltzer advertisement. Speedy was not introduced until the early fifties, so that might rule out any time in the fifties.

It's a matter of piecing together all the clues.

The woman, to me, looks like Ginger Rogers.

I'm not convinced that's Ginger Rogers. Stare and compare of profile don't seem to match. But if it is her and that is not a staged stock photo, that could narrow it down to 'Professional Sweetheart' or 'Gold Diggers of 1933,' which both Ginger and Sterling co-starred in.

I'm not convinced that's Ginger Rogers. Stare and compare of profile don't seem to match. But if it is her and that is not a staged stock photo, that could narrow it down to 'Professional Sweetheart' or 'Gold Diggers of 1933,' which both Ginger and Sterling co-starred in.
It's not Professional Sweetheart - that scene isn't in the movie and Sterling doesn't have glasses.

Gold Diggers of 1933 doesn't work either.

Also, a good chance that place is called Doug's Soda Shop/Fountain, etc. (the name backwards is partially covered by the guy's hat )
I agree with all of your other points except for this. I'm 99.99% certain the word behind the man is DRUGS. Soda fountains were a common feature of pharmacies - they could be used to deliver caffeine, lithium,cocaine, etc in drinks. This evolved into regular soft drinks once many of these drugs weren't allowed except by prescription.

It's not Professional Sweetheart - that scene isn't in the movie and Sterling doesn't have glasses.

Gold Diggers of 1933 doesn't work either.
Well, it's a moot point if that is not Ginger.

I agree with all of your other points except for this. I'm 99.99% certain the word behind the man is DRUGS. Soda fountains were a common feature of pharmacies - they could be used to deliver caffeine, lithium,cocaine, etc in drinks. This evolved into regular soft drinks once many of these drugs weren't allowed except by prescription.
That fits better. There would be an apostrophe if it was Doug's. Doesn't look like it has one.

Also I'm not sure about the Calvert liquor. Most of the visuals clues point to this being shot in the thirties......except that Calvert bottle which was founded in the mid-forties. Maybe there was another Calvert brand.

It's a publicity still from Palm Springs (1936)

Palm Springs Affair
1936: Spring Hyington, Sterling Holloway (1905 - 1992), Ernest Cossart (1876 - 1951), Sir Guy Standing (1873 - 1937) and Eddie Tamblyn are all in a scene from the film 'Palm Springs', alternatively titled 'The Palm Springs Affair'. The film was directed for Aubrey Scotto for Paramount. (Photo by Hulton Archive/Getty Images)
Gettyimages

I didn't think that was Ginger Rogers, though I would have never guessed Spring Hyington. Not familiar with her. She looked like another blonde actress I was thinking of but I couldn't locate her name.

Thank you guys! Your knowledge is awesome.
This picture hangs on the wall of an ice-cream parlor here in Italy, and I was trying to identify it since ages. Power of the Internet! have a nice day.