The Lighthouse - Robert Eggers

Tools    

First screening at Cannes has just finished and Twitter is awash with praise. Robert Eggers (The VVitch) DirectsRobert Pattinson and Willem Defoe in a black and white tale of insanity and the sea.

I cannot wait for this to go on general release.

Looks good doesn't it? I thought he was doing that (disappointingly faithful-looking to my mind) version of Nosferatu next.

The Lighthouse has the look of a good film-- very intriguing. What gives me pause is that it was praised at Cannes...
Lol
That's the same reaction I get when I read a review where a critic says : 'This is an important movie. '
I have found that usually means it's important to me to leave .

But this movie DOES look intriguing .

Why?

You don't even like the Palm D'Or winners?
That's a bit of a blanket stretch, SL.. In fact I certainly liked the 2002 winner, The Pianist. But in general my criteria for what makes for a good or great film is different from whatever collective philosophy that results in winners at Cannes. Therefore a Cannes winner is most often not a good recommendation for me.

That's a bit of a blanket stretch, SL.. In fact I certainly liked the 2002 winner, The Pianist. But in general my criteria for what makes for a good or great film is different from whatever collective philosophy that results in winners at Cannes. Therefore a Cannes winner is most often not a good recommendation for me.
Fair enough - I think Cannes gets it right more than most when a film tends to do well there.

Maybe it's just a difference in taste / genres or something.