Question about the plot to Lifeboat (1944).

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I was watching the movie and maybe I got lost in the plot, but Willi said that they should go a certain direction, as that will take them to Bermuda. Kovac disagrees and appoints himself skipper, and threatens to harm anyone who will disagree with him, so they all give in and agree. Kovac decides to go in the opposite direction as Willi, as he does not trust Willi.

Then later the survivors find out that Willi send them of course, perhaps deliberately. But how is it that Willi was able to send them of course, when Wllii failed to talk Kovac into going his direction? Did I miss something?

You've missed a few things, Iron.
Their whole plan was to head to Bermuda, but Willi had a hidden compass and manages to get them to head in the wrong direction while they slept hoping that they would be picked up by the enemy... and he also manages to get control of the boat during the storm.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
But what I don't get is, is how did Willii get them in the wrong direction when Kovac wasn't listening to him and the others were following Kovac's direction. At what point did Willi get Kovac to change his mind on following his direction?