A.I. - Artificial Intelligence

→ in
Tools    

Eversince I heard the title of this movie I knew it would be something I would definately like to see - being a Speilberg film also makes it even more exciting. In fact, the story is actually based on an script from the late Stanley Kubric, but Speilberg has re-written the story and has appearantly made it less serious.

So far there haven't been any good sci-fi movies in the last few years - except The Matrix and Deep Impact - So I am really looking forward to this movie.

If you watch the trailer it is very vague and mysterious, but there are clues hidden within the trailer and posters.... so far there seems to be a lot of hype because of the lack of information available.

Many people on the net have been discussing their attitude towards Speilberg and they seem to see him as a businessman first then a storyteller. I was a little annoyed when I heard that the screenplay had been rewritten to be les serious, but I do enjoy Speilberg's films and I never really felt compelled to watch Kubric's films so maybe this might be a good thing.

Even though the majority of people don't know much about this film, there seem to be alot of buzz within the die-hard movie fans... I'm a bit suprised nobody has mentioned the movie on this board.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I was actually thinking about posting about this movie today, but never got around to it.

I was reading about it on IGN and it's begining to look better and better. I saw the trailer awhile back, and was thinking it would be good because it was Speilberg, but I still have this sneaking suspiscion(spelling?)that its going to be like D.A.R.Y.L.

I'm sure it will be different, but I still think its going to be like that movie some how.

AI will be a box office smash. I have no doubts about that.

But I am concerned with Spielberg's vision opposed to Kubrick. Their styles clash. Spielberg knows cute (ET and Hook). Kubrick hates cute, witness everything he has ever done. Spielberg has a tendency to go for the easy emotion. Check out the bookends of Private Ryan and the ending to the otherwise immaculate Schindler's List. Kubrick rarely let emotion slip into his films. Kubrick was about the experience, the art, not the manipulation.

So who's version are we going to get?

If Spielberg can harness his manipulative powers then AI may not be bad at all. His casting is already a bonus. Osment is the only child actor capable of such a part and Jude Law is simply amazing.

I'll wait and see. . .

I've been looking forward to this movie too. It should be very good. I agree that it will definatly be a box office mash, like most Speilberg movies.

MovieForums Extra
Yep, this one definitely looks like it's gonna be a smash! I'm actually hoping that it will be a combination of both Spielberg's and Kubrick's styles, it would definitely make for interesting viewing.

While I think it will be a good movie, I'm almost certainly sure it won't get an Oscar for best picture next year...I just saw the preview for Pearl Harbour, and if that doesn't win best picture, then I'm a monkey's uncle! It just looks soooooo much like Oscar material, sort of like a Titanic love story mixed with tragedy!

Looking forward to both in any case! This year will definitely be a good one for the movies (unlike last year)!!

Originally posted by Zephyrus
This year will definitely be a good one for the movies (unlike last year)!!
Yeah I know what you mean, last year was so disapointing. The only movies I liked were X-Men and Perfect Storm. (I looked forward to Mission To Mars, but the ending sucked and I almost saw Erin Brockovich, but only because of the hype)

I can pretend that things last.
Originally posted by Zephyrus
I just saw the preview for Pearl Harbour, and if that doesn't win best picture, then I'm a monkey's uncle! It just looks soooooo much like Oscar material, sort of like a Titanic love story mixed with tragedy!
Sounds like From Here to Eternity

MovieForums Extra
Yep, so many good movies coming out, you just don't know where to start! It's definitely gonna lighten my pocket!

All these good movies coming out and my buddy comes up from Chicago to see TombRaider... I'll let ya'll know about it tomorrow, though I haven't heard anything good yet.

I am pretty geeked to see AI. That kid is one helluva an actor. He was brilliant in Sixth Sense and great in Pay it Forward, though the movie was horrible b/c of the ending. I am pretty excited to see what he can do in a movie like this.

I think that Spielberg will combine his style with that of Kubrick, though I think he will tend to go for the easy emotion like the earlier posts.

Overall it should be a fun movie and a fun summer... and amen to the pocketbook being lighters!

This flick looks good. I hope it is, I seriously do. With a preview like that, something has to be up. Theres lots of flicks to look forward to, though. I'm seeing Tomb Raider this weekend.

This year's been good so far, my favorites are The Widow of St. Pierre, Memento, Moulin Rouge, Wit, and Shrek.

mightymose, you liked Pay it Forward? Ugh!

Shrek -- I've yet to find a person who didn't like that movie. I'm dead serious.

A.I. looks good -- no doubt about it. It also looks odd, though. Let's face it: this movie is going to try to make us think things through. We're supposed to come out of it with some deep, philosophical questions on our minds. This gives it a bomb-factor: if you try to make people think deep thoughts, and fail, you're toast.

That said, I don't want to venture a guess as to whether or not I will enjoy this movie. I really cannot say. I certainly want to see it, however, if only to satisfy my curiousity.

If anything this movie will be Spielberg's and have no ties to Kubrick at all. Kubrick had already decided to let Spielberg direct before he died, so he doesn't have any obligations to make the movie according to Kubricks criteria. The will most certainly be a Spielberg movie with great special effects and no real meaning behind it. It's pretty much a modern day Pinochio(spelling?) story and thats what Spielberg is going to with it, I think. If Kubrick had done... well thats another story, but I think that AI will be an enjoyable movie and maybe pick up a few oscar nominations.

It really has no unique meaning. It's a millenium-fied Pinochio(spelling?) If Kubrick had done the film I know he would have put huge spin on the story and made it different from what you would expect. Spielberg though is just going to make it a millenium-fied Pinochio. This is all just a guess of course I'll have to see it, but the previews make it appear this way.

Well, here's my theory: it's going to be all about whether or not machines are human, and will force us to think about a difficult, yet important issue: when do machines become alive? Do they at all?

This movie is here just in time: technology is at a crossroads. We will have to decide what can be done with our newfound powers (genetics, AI, etc), and what is considered moral. This movie will likely depict the rights of machines.

This will force us to examine these morals, and try to decide where the line should be drawn. Pinnochio had none of that. The "I am a real boy" reference is just a clever line, in my opinion.

I enjoy your theory on the movie and hope in the name of all that is holy that you are right.

Just read an interesting article on AI... don't worry, no spoilers

http://www.drudgereport.com/link6.htm

Has anyone else read some of the things Haley has written? This kid is obviously very bright. He's more articulate on paper than most other people years his senior. I suppose most child actors are intelligent people, with few exceptions.

Pigsnie just saw a preview of AI & he told me the ending. (I dont mind, I like being spoiled ) Anyhoo, it is one of the worst endings I have ever heard, Pigsnie sounded pretty disapointed. He said people laughed at inapropriate places & kept looking at their watches thruout the movie. Some people even walked out, he said.Sad, I dont know if I want to see it now and he says this isNOT a kiddy movie so dont bring 6 year olds. :bawl:

I saw this movie today...WOW!

I'm not ashamed to admit that I was blown away...up to a point. I thought the ending was too "Spielbergian". It took the easy way out, and went for sentimentality.

But before that? I was moved, and shown a world that was completely new to me...I don't think I've seen a movie like A.I. before. It's so damn visionary and ambitious, but at the end, I just can't even put my finger on it... I'm not going to outline the events of the movie, but I will say that the ending feels false, and tacked on.

I think that this is one of the most visionary and original films I've ever seen...it's such a bummer that it doesn't deliver at the end. But I would not want to discourage my fellow posters from seeing it, because even in its imperfect form, it's a reminder to where films can take us. Everyone here needs to see it. It's your duty as film lovers.

And I will also say that Haley Joel Osment is one of THE best working actors. He's terrific, and deserves an Oscar nomination.