Traffic the miniseries

Tools    

I heard somewhere that there is a mini series called "Traffic" coming out...It's on USA Network. I haven't seen any commercials yet. Can someone fill me in on what this is about? I'm totally curious..

Don't know about a new mini-series, but the Steven Soderbegh Oscar-nominated feature film Traffic (2000) was an adaptation of the BBC mini-series "Traffik", which aired way back in 1989. Many of the same plot arcs and characters are kept very similar, but obviously the setting was quite different. The original mini-series was set in Great Britain, Germany and the poppy fields of Pakistan. The most recognizeable star of the BBC series to more casual American audiences is Julia Ormond (Legends of the Fall, First Knight, Sabrina), who played essentially the same role as Erika Christensen in the Americanized re-make.

"Traffik" is available on R1 DVD, a complete boxed set of the entire series (six hour-long episodes on three discs).
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

OK, apparently there IS a "new" version of this coming to USA Networks, starting on January 26th, 2004.

The commerical (downloadable on the usanetwork.com website) says it is based on the film - which as I've just explained was itself based on a British mini-series to begin with. But, from the clips shown in the commercial, looks like this new "Traffic" min-series uses similar themes and subjects, but doesn't replicate the plot strands and character types from the first two projects. It stars Elias Koteas (The Prophecy, Fallen, The Thin Red Line), Balthazar Getty (Lord of the Flies, White Squall, Lost Highway), Mary McCormack (Howard Stern's Private Parts, Mystery Alaska, K-Pax) and Martin Donovan (Amateur, The Opposite of Sex, Insomnia).

Wow--it sounds pretty good. I love miniseries. The cast seems pretty cool. I hope it's fast paced and action packed!! I think i'll definitely be watching it.