How big would digital resolution go, before it outsizes 35mm film?

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
A lot of movies shot on 35mm film originally, are now being transferred to 4K. However, I am wondering if resolution will eventually get so high, that the picture quality will degrade, cause the resolution quality is much bigger than that of the film it was shot on.

For example, in say 10-15 years from now, when movies shot on 35mm are going to be transferred to 8K, and everyone has 8K TVs, will the movies still look good on 8K? What about 16k? Or how high would you have to go to actually out-resolve the resolution of 35mm film, if that makes sense?

Technologically it already has... but, in terms of actual usability it's pointless... I've said this before, but the human eye can only see a maximum resolution.
It's like making a TV that shows infrared and ultraviolet.

All these super-duper 8K TVs and stuff, is wasted technology.
Sure it looks a bit smoother than regular TV, but there's a cut-off point as to what the human eye can actually pick up.
The human eye simply doesn't process such information.

Oh okay. So what digital resolution would be closest to 35mm film resolution then?

But there is a million pixels in a megapixel so wouldn't the number be in the tens of millions somewhere, rather than only 6000 pixels?

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
But there is a million pixels in a megapixel so wouldn't the number be in the tens of millions somewhere, rather than only 6000 pixels?

Here ya go, buddy. All your math is under the section titled the digital resolution of film.

https://kenrockwell.com/tech/film-resolution.htm

Yeah 6K isn't 6000 pixels.
6K is 9 megapixels. 9 million pixels on the entire screen with the screen being 6000 pixels in width.

8K is 33mp.

^ That's my argument for it all.
Repeating myself again, but the human eye can't see 95% of the detail that the screen supposedly has on it.

Yeah 6K isn't 6000 pixels.
6K is 9 megapixels. 9 million pixels on the entire screen with the screen being 6000 pixels in width.

8K is 33mp.
Oh okay I see. So 8k is 7680 × 4320. Which means that when 8K TVs come out and all of our favorite movies are released on 8K, then they will be going beyond the resolution of 35mm then?

Another problem with all these massive images... is the resolution of the TV, and player, and the disc (Blu Ray or DVD etc.)

If your movie is presented in 8K... and your TV is, say, Full HD rather than 4K or 8K... then at least 88% of the information contained on the disc isn't being shown on the lower resolution screen.

Same the other way around... if you have a movie presented in Full HD, and your 8K TV is upscaling the image to 8K... then basically 1 pixel of information on the disc is being stretched to the size of 4 pixels, and the movie will look nasty on the 8K screen.

Oh okay. Well if you have a movie like Skyfall, which I read was shot in 2.8K, if that's correct, then it's going to look bad blown up to an 8k release then, while being played through an 8K TV, right?

Yup.

I noticed one thing a couple years back... I still had my old Super Nintendo up until only a short while back... and I decided to dig the thing out and play it on my big TV.
It looked awful. Super Mario Kart looked like Pong

Same thing with this new tech... you either lose up to 90% of the info if the screen is too low a resolution... or, a small amount of info gets stretched to fill a huge resolution and it looks poo.

So if this is the case, are then even going to bother to make 8K TVs and media for movies then, if most movies and shows are shot on 35mm and therefore cannot support 8K properly? Is 4K going to be the last one for TV?

If I can but in and throw my two cents - and it's only a guess. I'd say 8k cinema is going to be a major component of 8k display and vice versa. I'm sure Peter Jackson will be humping its leg if he isn't already. Get ready for the new frame rate - 240fps! Blazing fast drama slowburners! YES!

Actually, that framerate is older news. Hope it went away like a summer rash

When did this new framerate come up?