Who are some directors that haven't quite made it, but are really good

Tools    

I'm thinking guys who are still maybe trying to establish themselves. Not household names even in the cinephile scene, but who you think are really talented.

An example for me would be Kurt Kuenne. Dear Zachary and Batkid Begins were great documentaries, but it seems he hasn't really taken off.

He's not super obscure, but I think Shane Carruth is such a genius he absolutely deserves to be a household name.

Jeremy Saulnier, of Green Room and Blue Ruin.
What would making it look like for him? He is a big name as far as i am concerned.

Well, this is a movie forum, and has probably self-selected for people with a particular interest in guys like him. Most people have never heard of him.

Anyway, bigger budgets, for one.

Well, this is a movie forum, and has probably self-selected for people with a particular interest in guys like him. Most people have never heard of him.

Anyway, bigger budgets, for one.
Does he even have the desire to do large scale stuff that needs a bigger budget?

Bigger is, of course, a relative term, distinct from "big." I don't know if he has a desire to make blockbusters or mainstream fare or whatever, and it's possible he'd be a worse filmmaker if he had $100 million more per picture. But $1-2 million more? That'd probably help.

At the very least, it stands to reason there are any number of cinematic ideas that are non-starters for him now, which may not be. I like his style, and the types of films he makes, but it's not clear if he makes them because that's all he wants to do (or is all he's good at), or in part because that's the kind of thing he can make with the kind of budgets available to him.

Anyway, the question in this thread is filmmakers that are good that aren't that well-known. Whether or not they want to, or even whether or not I want them to, make bigger-budgeted films is a separate question.

Bigger is, of course, a relative term, distinct from "big." I don't know if he has a desire to make blockbusters or mainstream fare or whatever, and it's possible he'd be a worse filmmaker if he had $100 million more per picture. But $1-2 million more? That'd probably help.

At the very least, it stands to reason there are any number of cinematic ideas that are non-starters for him now, which may not be. I like his style, and the types of films he makes, but it's not clear if he makes them because that's all he wants to do (or is all he's good at), or in part because that's the kind of thing he can make with the kind of budgets available to him.

Anyway, the question in this thread is filmmakers that are good that aren't that well-known. Whether or not they want to, or even whether or not I want them to, make bigger-budgeted films is a separate question.
Will anyone be well known in the future like Micahel Bay and Spielberg was?