Why are action movies afraid to have more collateral damage?

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Basically in action movies when you feel that there are hostages and lives at steak, you feel that maybe there would be more loss of life, but there isn't, which arguably, could make for a less powerful story in some ways.

For example in the movie Speed (1994), which I still like nonetheless, you have a bus going at 50 mph, and cannot stop, in downtown L.A. and no one on the street gets hit by this thing. Everyone seems to survive.

One woman on the bus is killed, but she is killed a bomb rather than the hurling bus itself. There is even a scene where the bus slams into a baby carriage, knocking it in the air, but instead of a baby being inside, we see empty cans fly out. It felt like such a cop out in a way, as if the filmmakers are willing to do it, but then no.

Or in a movie like Die Hard 2 (1990), we have collateral damage in the sense that the villain was willing to kill a lot more hostages than usual, which I found refreshing, in the scene when he crashes a plane to show he means business... but we never actually see any dead bodies when John McClane is wondering through the crashed rubble. We just see rubble only. On the special features the director talks about how they shot dead bodies, but he was talked out of showing them by the others, and maybe he shouldn't have let himself be talked out of it.

I am not saying show a lot of gruesome images, but just even having one shot with a pause of bodies from McClane's point of view, could have sufficed a lot better, rather than just showing him look at rubble remains.

But what do you think? Do you think that a lot of action movies are just afraid to show more collateral damage, which could serve to make the action that much more intense, rather than showing a lot of just stunts and mostly near misses?

Because it's harder to cheer for the good guys if they're responsible, even indirectly, for the death of innocent people. It may not be as emotionally compelling, but many (maybe most) action films are more concerned with being fun or exciting.

Yeah but it's accidental, and there is nothing to the good guy could do to stop it, and he's just doing his best so we would feel for him that way, in his shoes, making it more engaging, wouldn't we?

I mean 24 does it with Jack Bauer, for example.

Yeah but it's accidental, and there is nothing to the good guy could do to stop it, and he's just doing his best so we would feel for him that way, in his shoes, making it more engaging, wouldn't we?
It might be more "engaging," but it's clearly less fun. Innocent people dying is not generally conducive to a fun, easygoing movie experience.

I mean 24 does it with Jack Bauer, for example.
That show's trying to be dramatic and thrilling, not fun.

The assumption behind your question is that every action film wants to be emotionally compelling and engaging. That isn't so. Some just want to be lighthearted fun, and therefore obviously avoid scenarios where depressing tragedies are depicted.

... in the movie Speed (1994), which I still like nonetheless, you have a bus going at 50 mph, and cannot stop, in downtown L.A. and no one on the street gets hit by this thing. Everyone seems to survive...
Did you want to see innocent people being killed by the bus in Speed? I wouldn't, and I bet most people who go to see a film like Speed don't wish to see innocent bystanders being killed either. That's what horror films are for.

Honestly in speed,i haven t thought about this, because ur busy focusing on how this bus will stop and what will happen, plus, most of the time the bus is on a highway, and if remember annie wanted to take an exit road to get on another highway she was about to hit school kids crossing the street when she realized she turned away to make sure she doesn t hit them

Oh yeah, but she hits a baby carriage that just so unlikely happens to be filled with cans, which made my eyes kind of role.

I'm surprised people want to have lighthearted fun as it is a movie about a terrorist with a bomb making demands, so you think people could expect some possible darkness when they go to see a movie like that.

I don't remember anyone obviously being killed during it but perhaps the car chase in To Live and Die in LA would be more what your after?

Have you seen the movie "Knowing"? There are some great scenes in there where a lot of people die (including a plane crash) and it is shown with gruesome bodies (and some people still dying) all over the place. The same goes for the scene in the subway.

Yeah I saw Knowing and To Live and Die in L.A., I liked those ones.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Batman V Superman I think dives into the civilian casualty bits from Man of Steel.

Suspect's Reviews

Another movie that does is The Matrix Reloaded when Neo had to save Trinity and flew to her location but ended up killing all those people in cars and traffic to do it, when we see all the cars being totaled by him as he flies past them.

This is one case where I objected to the collateral damage though, cause I thought it was too heartless of the hero to kill hundreds of innocent people just to save his love interest.

Where as in Speed things like that would have been an accident more so, as oppose to deliberate. So in cases I am against it I guess.

You could find more than one reason why, but here’s some thoughts on it...

For one, action films are a lot about entertainment and tension and whatnot and doing something as dark and bleak as to kill people - especially innocent ones and perhaps even in big numbers, you will lose that tension and that entertainment because you force the audience to feel a certain way - just like when you “force” them to be on the edge of your seat etc. You can control your audience. If you throw a dead innocent body in their faces they will feel a certain way that will in one way affect the story and their pleasure watching it but also their view on the characters, including the main character.

The negative feeling this gives is generally not something you want to throw all over your action film. That said, it isn’t something that’s never done at all. Actually it’s often done but in small doses or at crucial points in the story to tell the audience something about the characters or themes in the movie - for example what the villain is capable of and/or what the hero is incapable of. A good example could be Dark Knight with Rachel.