Why did Forrest Gump end this way?

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
SPOILER

When Jenny finally regains her sense and seems to have cleaned up her act, and then decides to go back to see Forrest, she then has sex with Forrest and seems to realize that she loves him.

But then after doing this, she leaves him again for a few years and then decides to send him a letter to come see her, not telling him she had his son.

It feels like to me that her leaving him again was not necessary, and the movie perhaps should have just ended with her staying with him and having the kid with him. It feels like that her leaving him AGAIN, was just an extra icing on the cake that was not needed at all, and just perhaps felt excessive at that point.

But what do you think?

Jenny gave him AIDS.

I hope just the retard had AIDS!!! "Die Forrest die"!!! LOL.
Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534

So you are saying if Jenny hadn't left him for another time, then she would have given him aids, so her having to leave him one more time was absolutely necessary for that?

Jenny was the Sexy Celebrity/Jase of Forrest Gump. She couldn’t decide on what she wanted to do.

OK, here's my interpretation with a SPOILER ALERT. Jenny did have sex with him but she didn't love him the way he loved her so she set out looking for that love or whatever she felt was missing in her life. When she discovered she was dying (It's implied from AIDS and presumably after she had sex with Forest.), she realized he was the one person she encountered who truly loved her and could be counted on to care for her and their son.

Jenny's confused, man. She's casting about for purpose and affection and doesn't know what she wants.

Characters. Don't. Always. Behave. Rationally.

OK, here's my interpretation with a SPOILER ALERT. Jenny did have sex with him but she didn't love him the way he loved her so she set out looking for that love or whatever she felt was missing in her life. When she discovered she was dying (It's implied from AIDS and presumably after she had sex with Forest.), she realized he was the one person she encountered who truly loved her and could be counted on to care for her and their son.
This makes sense, but it feels like just a theory to me, cause all of a sudden Jenny leaves, and then we see her in a diner see Forrest on TV, and the right there, all of a sudden she has gone through some character transformation, but we never get to see it hardly, cause too much of it is told from Forrest's point of view, and not hers, I feel.

Just seeing him on TV does not feel like enough to feel that character transformation I felt.

But when Jenny said she loved him and asked him to marry her, was she meaning it or was she just using him as a facade to get him to take care of her son.

Jenny wasn't "in" love with Forrest, but she loved him enough to know she didn't want to use him. When she knew he was in love with her she left because she'd feel like she would be taking advantage of him.

Btw, its damn hard for a woman to give a man AIDS, but women can get it from guys almost every time. So unless Forrest had a small cut on his junk theres no way she gave him AIDS.

Jenny wasn't "in" love with Forrest, but she loved him enough to know she didn't want to use him. When she knew he was in love with her she left because she'd feel like she would be taking advantage of him.

Btw, its damn hard for a woman to give a man AIDS, but women can get it from guys almost every time. So unless Forrest had a small cut on his junk theres no way she gave him AIDS.
People always badmouth Jenny, but remember, she came from an abusive home with a cruel father. The woman did not know how to love properly. Her childhood was just as handicapped as Forrest's, but in a different way.

But if she didn't want to take advantage of him, then why did she come back and marry him before she died, in order to motivate him to taking care of the son for her. Wouldn't that be construed as taking advantage still?

But if she didn't want to take advantage of him, then why did she come back and marry him before she died, in order to motivate him to taking care of the son for her. Wouldn't that be construed as taking advantage still?
Because she being away from him , taking care of herself for the first time in her life all on her own , she learns that being "in" love is not as important as having true love.

Oh okay, so she was truly in love with Forrest then, and didn't just tell him that, so he would take care of their son?

Oh okay, so she was truly in love with Forrest then, and didn't just tell him that, so he would take care of their son?
Correct. With her abusive upbringing and her own drug abuse and sexual abuse she probably committed to herself after, what she would be "in" love with would be extremely unhealthy to her. Once she goes out on her own and fixes her self as best as she can then she realizes feelings she never could have comprehended before.

Of course I'm just guessing

She leaves because she's a mess and doesn't feel like she deserves him. She marries him because she's gotten her life together and realizes he's the only person that was every really good to her, and marrying him is a way to express that.

She's not being mercenary, and she's not undergoing a sudden transformation, either.

Yeah that's what I think too. Some people think she was just using him in the end so he would take care of the son after she died, but I think if this were the case, the climax would have been done differently.

The wedding wouldn't be done in such a Cinderella story uplifting way, with the happy music, if that were the cast. At least that is how I am interpreting it.

Actually come to think of it, what if they did the movie so that she decided to go back to Forrest and marry him before she discovered she had AIDS?

That way she learns what she wants in life after having her son, with love being the overall motivator instead of AIDS having to be an additional motivation on top of that.

So she marries him but then finds out she has aids after that. Would that have been better?

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Have a relationship (try) with a woman who has gone from one potentially abusive relationship to another (starting with her father if I remember correctly?), and has, as a result, a deep fear of commitment and a deflated sense of self-worth and you will find your answer.

These people exist, and they do exactly that. I might argue she only reached out to Gump to protect her kid and not because she thought herself worthy of Gump's unconditional love. Without the kid as an external factor for her to project value onto (the child's, not her own), then i doubt she would have ever faced Gump again for what I mentioned above compounded now by guilt in finally recognizing how Gump sees her but leaving him anyway. Probably because she still believes what most of her relationships have taught her.

Haven't seen it in a while tho. May be mixing up some timelines.

OMG mobile typing is hard. Edit x5

Well I think maybe the movie might have been better if she decided to be with Forrest before she found out she was dying, and then found out after they were married maybe. Unless I am wrong...

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Well, that's drama for you. Her tragedy is that much more heartbreaking in contrast to Gump's innocence.

Maybe the writer had a ghost of a non-commital ex to exorcise.