Benedetta (2019) - Paul Verhoeven

Tools    

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benedetta_(film)

Originally titled The Blessed Virgin.

Based on the true life account of a 15th century Nun accused of Lesbianism... and inspired by the 1986 novel Immodest Acts - The life of a lesbian nun in Renaissance Italy.
Directed by Paul Verhoeven.

Virginie Elfira is set to star as Sister Benedetta, with Charlotte Rampling, Lambert Wilson, Daphne Patakia, Olivia Rabourdin.

The story is a true account of Sister Benedetta Carlini... a Nun in 15th century Italy, who is accused of Lesbianism, Frottage, Witchcraft, and Demonic Possession, and is imprisoned and tortured by the Catholic Church for 35 years.

Filming started in August 2018, and is still undergoing production.
The only official release date given so far is "France 2019".

If Charlotte Rampling is in it. Somebody is gettin naked. Just sayin.

a new classic could be in the works, i ve missed his work

I think this is a fantastic movie.

Verhoeven is a master filmmaker whose past films like Robocop, Total Recall and Basic Instinct are among the greatest movies ever made. Too bad he didn't end up where others like Christopher Nolan ended up, making huge movies and getting award recognition.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

I think this is why I love Verhoeven as much as I do.

His movies predict the future... and back in the early 2000s he foresaw that Hollywood was going to go down the pan, so he went back to Europe before it was too late.

Movie has been pushed to 2020 instead of this year.
Paul Verhoeven has been undergoing hip surgery and had to postpone filming.

After Verhoeven's hip surgery, the movie was pushed from 2019 to 2020... then was pushed again without an actual date, due to CoVid...

Now though, it's Premier has been cemented at Cannes 2021.

I've checked the Cannes site, and nothing has been updated yet for next year... but the dates are May 11th to 22nd 2021.

So expect an erotic, brutal, violent and atmospheric satirisation of Homosexuality Vs 17th Century Catholicism, somewhere between May 11th and 22nd 2021

If Charlotte Rampling is in it. Somebody is gettin naked. Just sayin.
Totally.