'Roma' - and Netflix

Tools    

I've got a bit of a bee in my bonnet about this. It looks like Alfonso Cuaron's new film 'Roma' will only have a selected cinema release in December for a week before it goes to Netflix.

Now I don't mind Netflix and their business model. They bring tv and movies to a wider audience which is great. But this feels like a decision made purely to get them notoriety and an academy nomination.

Cuaron is adamant that it needs to be Dolby Atmos. Which most cinemas don't have. And Netflix need this in theaters to get a nomination. So the result is that it's hardly going to be shown anywhere. Apparently. I live in a capital city in the UK and there is no indication that 'Roma' will be shown here at all. This isn't a tiny indie film. We're talking about one of the most anticipated films of the year.

I like Netflix. But I mean do they want people to go to the cinema anymore or what?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
My daughter Sarah saw Roma at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood on Saturday at the AFI Fest and said it was very inpressive visually and aurally.. Incidentally she saw many other films at AFI this past week [she goes every year] which either had their World Premiere or U.S. Premiere. Many films at these festivals are trying to find distribution deals even if that's not the case with Roma.

I've got a bit of a bee in my bonnet about this. It looks like Alfonso Cuaron's new film 'Roma' will only have a selected cinema release in December for a week before it goes to Netflix.

Now I don't mind Netflix and their business model. They bring tv and movies to a wider audience which is great. But this feels like a decision made purely to get them notoriety and an academy nomination.

Cuaron is adamant that it needs to be Dolby Atmos. Which most cinemas don't have. And Netflix need this in theaters to get a nomination. So the result is that it's hardly going to be shown anywhere. Apparently. I live in a capital city in the UK and there is no indication that 'Roma' will be shown here at all. This isn't a tiny indie film. We're talking about one of the most anticipated films of the year.

I like Netflix. But I mean do they want people to go to the cinema anymore or what?

I will take these same day Netflix releases over the slow rollout garbage that happens during awards season all day every day. Also not so sure Roma is on people's radar outside the insular cinephile world. I am more surprised about Buster Scruggs than I am this. Surprised but happy, I can't wait till Friday. If It wasn't for Netflix I would be waiting another month for one of my most anticipated movies of the year

This might just do nobody any good.
Yeah, movies like Roma don’t really get theatrical runs anywhere near of where I live (seeing something like Silence early last year was a stroke of luck), so I’m pretty okay with the Netflix thing.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Is this movie any good? My brother saw it after watching a movie I recommended to him (They Shoot Horses, Don't They?), which is odd, and it's probably the 4th or 5th time he saw a movie I recommended in the last 20 years. He loved "Roma", too, and thinks I would, but I tried watching a bit, and went on with "Vice" instead. I've been up since 3:30, and I'm not in the mood to see a bad movie. I never am, but I "wanna give things a shot".
If you know my movie taste, I'd like to ask if you think I'd like this.

Is this movie any good? My brother saw it after watching a movie I recommended to him (They Shoot Horses, Don't They?), which is odd, and it's probably the 4th or 5th time he saw a movie I recommended in the last 20 years. He loved "Roma", too, and thinks I would, but I tried watching a bit, and went on with "Vice" instead. I've been up since 3:30, and I'm not in the mood to see a bad movie. I never am, but I "wanna give things a shot".
It was my movie of 2018. Close to 10 out of 10. I find it hard to describe but it's very moving. A work of art. In that sense it is pure art house.

Some of the camerawork and photography is breathtaking.

Alfonso Cuaron is probably one of the best Directors on the planet.

Unregistered User

I think you would Matt. Probably my favourite film of the year too.

As long as to you get to watch the movie and appreciate or hate it, who cares whether its on Netflix, Prime or Theatre? To be honest, I barely go to the theatres at all these days, just watch movies at home. Saves time, money and sheer lack to effort.

My friend watched it and said its absolutely wonderful. Perfection. I am saving it for last. I want to finish all the Oscar front-runners then watch Roma. But I am surprised its also touted as being nominated in the best picture category. But that is fine. From what I hear, it will win in whichever category it goes in.

, who cares whether its on Netflix, Prime or Theatre? .
Well the director does. He said it should be seen on the big screen in dolby atmos.

The nearest cinema to me that showed it was a 212 mile round trip.

I think Dallas got a show somewhere, but I am too lazy to get out and watch one. My last one was Get Out.

The nearest cinema to me that showed it was a 212 mile round trip.

If its Old Trafford, I can do that distance, not for a movie, no matter how good it is!

Well, its getting better now that the idiot is fired.

But I think Netflix is a little irked that Prime beat them to more awards with Manchester by the Sea.