Does The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly go downhill as an adult?

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I liked it a lot when I was teenager but now, looking back it feels kind of lacking for the high classic that is.

SPOILER

Basically the story doesn't really have any character arcs, and it's just about three guys who want gold, one guy manages to win it from the two others, and that's it really. So it feels like perhaps the most simplistic and the least deep Italian western I have seen maybe, but have only seen like five.

But what do you think, looking back on it now?

I still rate it very highly but its moreso that Once Upon a Time in The West & America have risen more in my estimations over time. The latter especially would probably be in my top 10 films now.

Oh okay. What makes so appealing though to this day, if there characters don't go through any arcs though?

Welcome to the human race...
Oh okay. What makes so appealing though to this day, if there characters don't go through any arcs though?
I feel like we've been over this before, but there's more to films than whether or not the characters in them go through readily-recognisable arcs.

What Iro said. Sure, it's not good on character development, but it's great in other ways. It's funny, clever, well-shot, the score is tremendous, and it makes long, drawn-out confrontation feels tense and interesting the whole time (with a couple of modest exceptions).

There's a long list of things that can make movies great, and movies don't need to check them all off to be a classic.

Sometimes you don't need character arcs. Case in point: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

The shortest answer to this is because it's ****ing cool.

That's true it's very cool and it's hard to deny that.