I didn't understand the story to Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I don't get what the movie was trying to about. What's the theme or the message? Mainly it's about a guy who is fascinated with a woman and he keeps on being fascinated by her for the length of the movie and that's all it seems to be about, with any real theme or message to it.

Like why was this movie even made or why am I watching? Since I didn't know what to feel at all, I couldn't even bring myself to watch the ending, cause I feel need to figure out what the point of the rest of the movie is first, before I go any further.

What do you think, or can anyone tell me what I am missing?

...What do you think, or can anyone tell me what I am missing?
Audrey Hepburn, that's what you're missing. That's what the film is about a romantic comedy with a popular star. It doesn't have to have a message.

It was suppose to be romantic comedy? Cause the only funny part I laughed at was her clumsy over the top landlord. I didn't laugh at any other parts.

It was suppose to be romantic comedy? Cause the only funny part I laughed at was her clumsy over the top landlord. I didn't laugh at any other parts.
I can't help you there, I thought it was funny. Not all movies are going to appeal to all people. Cool if you didn't like it.

It's Audrey Hepburn's character dealing with her new boyfriend who, after witnessing her outlook on life, is able to help her grow.

A lot of people, myself included, Mickey Rooney's Japanese landlord is the worst thing in the movie.
I'm not saying it's a good thing in the movie, I was laughing at it more than with it, but it was the only part I found funny, if it's suppose to be a romantic comedy.

I think I just feel I didn't care about the main character, and she needed more to invest me maybe, and just didn't get the big deal.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
@ironpony

Are you an alt account for some other member? If not, are you in school and posing these questions for a class you are taking?

No, I am not an alternate account and I am not posing these for a class. I seriously was just asking what the meaning of the story was, cause I just wanted to know out of shear interest in the movie.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Good to hear. I am always impressed by how much participation your threads generate.

No, I am not an alternate account and I am not posing these for a class. I seriously was just asking what the meaning of the story was, cause I just wanted to know out of shear interest in the movie.
Ironpony, I like your movie questions and I believe you're sincere You like to know more about movies and that's cool

I bet you would like an HoF (Movie Hall of Fame). I'm thinking of making a 'first timers' Virgin HoF for 4-5 people to try out, and see if they like it.

I think HoFs are cool as we all watch the same movies and discuss them, which is fun and interesting. I know you like to discuss movies. Do you think you might be interested?

Breakfast at Tiffany’s is a character piece. It’s not really a romcom, more of a rom with some com, as Holly tries to reinvent herself. A bit like Cabaret in the sense that both Sally and Holly are flamboyant and unreal.

Breakfast at Tiffany's is about a woman who sells herself (not her body, which would at least be somewhat honest, but simply the theoretical chance at her body, a lie which upon which she never delivers or backs up) for money in order to keep herself in a lavish lifestyle in New York City without producing a single thing whatsoever. It is insipid, stupid and (as a minor point, due to the time frame in which it was filmed) contains a, now-considered, racist performance by Mickey Rooney. In other words, the movie is very bad. Avoid at all costs.

I don't get what the movie was trying to about. What's the theme or the message? Mainly it's about a guy who is fascinated with a woman and he keeps on being fascinated by her for the length of the movie and that's all it seems to be about, with any real theme or message to it.

Like why was this movie even made or why am I watching? Since I didn't know what to feel at all, I couldn't even bring myself to watch the ending, cause I feel need to figure out what the point of the rest of the movie is first, before I go any further.

What do you think, or can anyone tell me what I am missing?

Read the book or

But if you really want a possible interpretation of the film it's possible Holly Golightly was about gay kept men in the 1950's or about Truman Capote's mother in the 20's.