Submit Your
Comedy
List
The deadline for the Top Comedies of All Time list is coming up! Submit your ballot now, or read about it here

Short Cuts vs Magnolia

Tools    

Better film?

It's no secret that PTA borrowed pretty heavily from Short Cuts to make Magnolia.

I love both films. Magnolia is probably a bit more entertaining, and has a bit of a lighter tone.

Short Cuts is much darker, and more depressing, though arguably a bit better overall.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Better film?

It's no secret that PTA borrowed pretty heavily from Short Cuts to make Magnolia.

I love both films. Magnolia is probably a bit more entertaining, and has a bit of a lighter tone.

Short Cuts is much darker, and more depressing, though arguably a bit better overall.

I agree, and would probably go with Magnolia.. I also think PTA took a lot of "Nashville" for Magnolia.. As well as "McCabe and Mrs. Miller" as an influence on "There Will Be Blood", as well as "The Long Goodbye" to "Inherent Vice" (which I could not get into at all).

I agree, and would probably go with Magnolia.. I also think PTA took a lot of "Nashville" for Magnolia.. As well as "McCabe and Mrs. Miller" as an influence on "There Will Be Blood", as well as "The Long Goodbye" to "Inherent Vice" (which I could not get into at all).
Yeah, I think Inherent Vice is the weakest link in PTA's film portfolio. It doesn't hold a candle to The Long Goodbye.

As for There Will Be Blood.... I feel Anderson was probably more inspired by Citizen Kane than McCabe and Mrs. Miller in making TWB.