Mission Impossible movies

Tools    

I really like Tom Cruise, but have never seen a Mission Impossible movie. Not an action movie fan, per se, but I loved the Bourne movies.

People here seem to really like the M.I. movies & I can get this box set for $20 from amazon, which seems like a heck of a good price.

Anyone have an opinion to share before I buy this?

This might just do nobody any good.
2 and 3 kind of suck, in my opinion, but 2 has more, um, personality. Inferring from your posts, 2 will just drone on but i do find some of its, for a lack of a better word, “unique” action movie cheese enjoyable for a quick laugh.

3 is just plain forgettable, save for Philip Seymour Hoffman’s bored out of his mind performance. It’s kind of amazing to see such a lauded actor eyeing the exit door for the duration of a film.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
M1’s close to brilliant if you ask me. One of those movies I didn’t appreciate enough in my youth - was a bit complicated.

M1 is more serious like Bourne...the others are not serious nor do they take themselves so...unless maybe the 3rd tried too. The focus is action. So...you may only like 1. Or...you may love them all lol.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Haven't seen the new one yet, but my order would be something like:

1. Rogue Nation
2. M:I 2
3. M:I 1
4. M:I 3
5. Ghost Protocol

Mi 1
Mi fallout
Mi ghost protocol

Ok, so I have started viewing my box set.

In the other thread “Rank the Mission Impossible Films”, people seem to like this first movie. To me it seems horribly clunky & old-fashioned (especially for 1996), but maybe I will go back & try to go further than I did at the weekend. Keep an open mind & all that.

So then I decided to watch the 5th film & I enjoyed it & maybe will re-watch it.

I loved the scenes at the opera, Tom hanging off the plane (what!), the underwater scenes, etc. I had no idea Tom does all his own stunts. Unbelievable. How does he even get anyone to insure him? As I said, I think I will rewatch this. Love Jeremy Renner so cool to see him. Rebecca Ferguson excellent too. Don’t know why Ving Rhames with his wooden performance is in these movies. Simon Pegg not as amusing as he thinks he is.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I don't think they would ensure Tom since he's an expensive star, wouldn't they get him to sign a waiver saying that it's his own risk, etc?

For Tom it’s just a win-win. If the stunt succeeds, then it succeeds. If it doesn’t, he moves onto the next plane of existence and meets his overlord.

I think that’s how it works.

I don't think they would ensure Tom since he's an expensive star, wouldn't they get him to sign a waiver saying that it's his own risk, etc?
Maybe. But what about the risk to production? There would have to be insurance in case the movie was never completed.

I always chuckle that Dougray Scott turned down the Wolverine role in X-Men to do MI2 (my least favourite of them, by a long way)
When Stirchley says the first was "old fashioned" I think that's what they were aiming for with the old tv series
I really like the 1st, Fallout is up there with it too

I liked how Ethan’s rock climbing skillz™ made a comeback in Fallout.

Started watching MI Ghost Protocol, which I am enjoying so far. I’m getting into the groove of the genre now, which helps. Still like the Bourne movies much better, but not sure why.

Welcome to the human race...
Whatever you say, user who has both Fallout and "Untitled Avengers Movie" in their top 10.