Nostromo War Show Reviews

→ in
Tools    

Alexander (2004)

A film with such ambition and potential, about the Macedonian who conquered most of the known world by the time he was 30 years old. An intelligent military commander who transformed classic warfare, won every battle, and whose campaigns and approach are still studied by military academies today. On the other side, Alexander (played by Colin Farrell) was convinced by his insane mother, Olympias, that his father was Zeus and that he ascended from Achilles and Heracles. Olympias (Angelina Jolie), a beyond eccentric absolute nutcase occultist obsessed with snakes, was actually the fourth wife of Macedonian King Philip (Val Kilmer). Interestingly, the film is mostly historically accurate to a fault compared to most.

Met with the dilemma of Philip's blossoming new fifth Macedonian wife, foreign-born Olympias and her son Alexander connive for dominion over the Greek state. Mentioned before that it's historical to a fault, in spite of its fantastic visuals. There's so much material for director Oliver Stone to explore- twelve years of crimson-soaked campaigns, that concluded with Alexander the Great's preeminence over a vast empire that was bordered by the Adriatic sea to the west and modern-day India to the east. Appearances by Anthony Hopkins as Ptolemy, Jared Leto as Alexander's childhood rival and companion Hephaistion, Christopher Plummer as wise teacher Aristotle, "When men compete to bring out the good, the best, in each other, this is the love between men that can build a city-state, and lift us from our frog pond," as well as Rosario Dawson as mighty warrioress Roxane. A fascinating film to look at, yet a mess in many ways with really puzzling pacing issues. Yet one I do not mind revisiting anyways. I find Kilmer's King Philip and his faithful soldiers, especially Cleitus, who remain loyal to his ways after his death strangely memorable, in spite of Alexander's far-reaching achievements. Oh, quite enjoy the music by Vangelis as well.
No man or woman can be too powerful or too beautiful without disaster befalling them

Rating:
6.0 / 10

IRON MAIDEN

Attila (2001)

Story set in the crumbling phase of the Western Roman Empire and the Hun invasion of Europe. Before I get into all that narrative fare that who-knows-who-reads-it, the approach taken here is polar opposite to Alexander (2004). This one is hardly historically precise, but unlike Alexander actually remembers to pack an awesome MOVIE intensity throughout. Attila the Hun commanded a tribal empire that stretched from the modern day Middle East into Central Europe, and he's played in this film by Gerard Butler. We see young Attila befriend a strange mystical girl named Galen who reads the stars and the sky, and the sun and the moon. She shares her visions with Attila, of his destiny, and the sword he'll find with a handle of gold, ivory, and rubies. As Attila grows into a man, with the advice of the mysterious woman, he emerges as King of the Huns. His success leads to his primary friend and rival in the film, Roman General Flavius Aetius, played well to my liking by Powers Boothe. Aetius takes the Hun king to Rome to see its radiance and meet the royal women.

Along with familiar faces Gerard Butler and Powers Boothe, Tim Curry makes an appearance as do a host of dazzling ladies. Completely forgot about this TV movie, then it came back to me today- I watched it on television when it came out in 2001... the first time I saw Gerard Butler in a movie. I know that I'm really into a film when I can't stop snapping screenshots as I did with this. The visuals are terrific with barren wilderness settings, fire-lit tent encampments, as well as striking Roman scenery. I could tell this took somewhat off of Gladiator in ways, but it's also different too and I really enjoyed the rawness of it compared with the much more polished and Academy-acknowledged Russell Crowe flick. I've seen that one enough though, *waves hand* as far as I'm concerned I'll lay my bet down on Attila rough tough TV movie dazzle with a cool cast.
I'd sooner die than bed a Hun.

Rating:
9.0 / 10

Galen Witch Theme

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	attila 2001 poster.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	46312   Click image for larger version

Name:	atilla 10.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	263.7 KB
ID:	46313   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attila 13.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	46314  

1492: Conquest of Paradise (1992)

Why should I believe in you, Seńor Columbus? An Italian navigator dreams of opening new trade routes from Western Europe to Asia, but is met with hostility and decrees of heresy by his colleagues. Christopher Columbus meets Queen Isabel (Sigourney Weaver) who reluctantly approves of his perilous sea-crossing campaign. I searched for a film displaying the middle ages here, but I struggled to find one that met a vision... of a story that held higher implication beyond the era in which it occurred. Columbus meets interference for his voyage at the University of Salamanca, but gains approval from the Queen through genuine flattery. Some dispute may come in at the outset, as to how pure a war film this is. Well, I'd imagine many certain inquisitors could site this exploration as the first act of wider European imperialism, in 1492.

The navigator, questioned how he and his crewmates shall find land on the 48th parallel, meets fortune and claims an island and names it San Salvador in October 1492. Columbus and his mariners do not find the spices and gold they were hoping for, but instead encounter a primitive tribal village and vast wilderness... an untamed land and unexplored Eden. In this age of rigid faith, Columbus challenges the authorities of fear and control. A passionate man, played by Gérard Depardieu, crosses the sea of darkness seeking gold, dignity, and a promising new future. I feel certain this act can be proclaimed an act of hostility against the natives of the lands, hence its integration here. This film opens a potentilly large conversation, and has been criticized and actually forgotten, but I enjoyed Depardieu as Columbus. A voyage which set out to accomplish a courageous passage across an unexplored ocean, and to return the insight to Europe, about the sailors who could say, I was on the Pinta, I was on the Nińa, and the Santa Maria.

Rating:
7.0 / 10

Vangelis

Attachments

Name:	conquest of paradise1.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	46347   Click image for larger version

Name:	Conquest of paradise2.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	319.0 KB
ID:	46348   Click image for larger version

Name:	Conquest of paradise3.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	46349  

Bonus Shots
Attila (2001)

"You Romans play with Kings & Nations as a child plays with toys."

Red-Haired Woman & Attila
*MELODRAMATIC SWOON*
Attachments

Name:	attila r.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	331.9 KB
ID:	49072   Click image for larger version

Name:	attila 7.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	363.3 KB
ID:	49073   Click image for larger version

Name:	attila g.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	49074   Click image for larger version

Name:	atilla 3.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	254.3 KB
ID:	49075   Click image for larger version

Name:	atilla 4.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	49076  

Name:	attila 6.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	49077  

Somehow I'd never noticed this thread until now. I had to write a paper on Oliver Stone's Alexander for a history class. I ended up fast-forwarding through most of the movie because I hated it so much. Still made an 'A' on my paper, though. I've had 1492: Conquest of Paradise on my watchlist for quite awhile since it's one of the only Ridley Scott films I haven't seen.

Embarrassing admission: I grew up thinking that Atilla the Hun was a woman until Night at the Museum educated my ignorant ass. Guess that shows how much attention I paid in class. I think maybe an old cartoon put that idea in my head. Or maybe I just always thought Atilla sounded like a chick's name. That babe's provocative leg action in your screenshot had me wanting to watch the film until I read that it was made-for-TV, so that's gotta mean it's fairly toned down on the sex and violence front. Never been a fan of Gerard Butler, either.

I could definitely learn a few things from Nostromo the Historian, so this thread could prove to be both educational and entertaining. Just remember that there's no fighting in the war room!

I know I hated it when I first saw it in theaters in 2004. Oliver Stone meant for Alexander to be a detestable kind of film, I think, with all kinds of themes of oedipal complex and greek tragedy. Compared to other movies in that 2000-2007ish window, which played more to the glory side of things. I actually like Gerard Butler more in Attila than in 300, and the women in Attila more than that, but I still enjoy 300 (2006) well enough.

Where Eagles Dare (1968)

Allied commandos Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood are sent to free a US General from an Alpine German fortress, where they meet dame Ingrid Pitt, blonde Mary Ure, and the Wehrmacht forces at the castle up the mountain. It's a movie I'd love a lot, if it weren't for disguised Burton, Eastwood, and all the Germans speaking English the entire time, completely bizarre in the setting knowing events. Fine war film anyhow.

Rating:
+ 7.5 / 10

Sahara (1943)

A ragtag battalion gets beached in the African desert during The Second World War. Sergeant Joe Gunn (Bogie) and his crew "Waco" Hoyt, Fred Clarkson, and Jimmy Doyle drive their tank across the Sahara. Making the viewer THIRSTY, that's the film's greatest talent.

Rating:
+ 7.5 / 10

"I see you whittled them down a bit"
"Yea... they whittled us down too."

Sgt. Joe Gunn

Main Title by Miklós Rózsa

Attachments

Name:	Schaffer1.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	54515   Click image for larger version