The House With a Clock In Its Walls

Tools    

Wow, they're making movies out of John Bellairs books!

I got into these growing up. I found a third-hand copy of The Secret of the Underground Room in a largely abandoned building, on the floor, when I was a kid. I devoured it and started going through Bellairs' other stuff. Most of it followed the same basic scheme, both in plot and in title formation: The X of the Y Z. The Curse of the Blue Figurine. The Spell of the Sorcerer's Skull. He had two different series, but both involved a bookish young boy and some older guy with some academic bent (scientific or literary, I think) helping him out.

Anyway, he's famous in part because Edward Gorey did pretty much all the artwork for his books, and it really added to their immersiveness:

Anyway, that's all a very long introduction for the fact that there's a trailer (posted months ago without my notice, somehow) for a mainstream adaption, which comes out in a couple months:

My memory (which could be way off by now) is that the books were much less overtly and over-the-top supernatural as they appear to be in this trailer. Still excited, though.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
That looks beautiful, Yoda. I hadnt heard of it.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Sorry to be a pessimist but given the directors track record and the release date...I don't think this movie has any chance of being good
I saw the trailer, got Goosebumps, young children books vibe. It looked okay-ish. Then I read this post and I decided to look up who directed it.

ELI-FREAKIN'-ROTH?!?!?!?!

What?

Suspect's Reviews

Yeah, it looks to be Roth's most accessible film. Definitely not a bad thing, obviously. While I doubt it'll convert anyone to become fans of his, I do think it will appeal to non-Roth fans and that, if it's good, they'll enjoy it. Which is awesome.