The Hustler vs Cool Hand Luke

Tools    

The best two films made by the legendary Paul Newman.

Both outstanding movies, but I gotta go with The Hustler. The acting is just superb, and better than Cool Hand Luke. A great, deep, and tragic character study with great performances all around.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Both outstanding movies, but I gotta go with The Hustler. [2]
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

The Hustler is one of my all time favorite films, so I'd go with that one over Cool Hand Luke.

Newman stated that he over-acted in his role of "Fast Eddie" Felson, and he did; but the character had lots of depth, and Newman was able to lead us through his part with expertise. The story addressed character vs. ego.

"Luke" was an immensely enjoyable movie. Newman was able to play to his strength as a lovable rogue and bad boy. It was authority vs. liberty. As in "Cuckoo's Nest", an individual was unfairly sentenced, and fights against the system to get free.

But The Hustler is a genuine classic. FWIW, I'd put Hud ahead of Cool Hand Luke.

~Doc

I'm glad to see The Hustler getting some much deserved love as the masterpiece it is.

A couple of weeks ago, on the best films of the 60s thread, I ranked it as the third best movie of the decade, behind only Psycho and Dr. Strangelove.

The Hustler as a movie. But i think Newman did a better job in the other. Well both were great performances from the actor.