Monumental film: Once upon a time in America

→ in
Tools    

Yes, it's an old movie. Sadly, I saw it yesterday. Period.

To talk about my situation is useless because none of you know me.
It is no time to start either. If we share a enormous love for films, and I think we do, then you should allow me a few lines to praise a magnificent work. For those who want to be filmmakers, to watch this movie is to long for a talent we may not have. The first act of the movie, wich narrates the childhood of the gang, manages to be so touching that I actually found myself breathing heavily( and notice that DeNiro and James Woods are not seen in full display of power yet). The young actors, the ones who play Deborah(I think it's Jennifer Connely), Noodles and Max are so credible that I actually started living the story.
Then the movie starts unfolding, with the young DeNiro and Woods but you can also see Joe Pesci, William Forsythe, Danny Aiello and Treat Williams popping up the screen in mob action. Great acting going everywhere. To make things better, the relationship between the really important characters(Noodles and Max) starts gaining weight, like prepairing you for the last segment. The love factor emerges when the relationship between Noodles and Deborah comes alive in two(or three) scenes, masterfully handled by DeNiro, Elisabeth McGovern and Sergio Leone( the rape scene). To finish it off, the meeting of an old Noodles(is it the same DeNiro? The man is awesome) and Deborah and the scene between DeNiro and James Woods in Woods' office. If anybody loves cinema, I mean true cinema, then you will eat alive every minute of this showdown between two very good actors. And last but not least, who can help not to bent before Sergio Leone's poetic images, be it big scenarios, full of extras, cars, everything coming to life, or intimate moments like Deborah's dance practice at the bar. After I finished watching this movie I realized that if I was willing to leave a mark in cinema history, I would had to work hard, really hard.

If anybody has an different opinion about this film or one about my own comment and feels like writing it please do.

Best regards, Julio

Get off my island
To be honest, I didn't think much of it, but that could have been largely due to the fact I was half asleep while watching it... I agree with you about the opening though, it was rather touching

MoFo Survivor - r3port3r66 wins!!!!!!