The English Patient (1996) vs. The End of the Affair (1999)

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I thought both movies were similar in the sense that they are both romance movies involving extramarital relations, and they both star Ralph Fiennes, and they are both set in WWII coincidentally.

I think I might have found The End of the Affair to be more moving in the end, but The English Patient has the more focused plot.

Which do you think is better?

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Interesting pairing as neither are films people talk much about and they do have certain similarities as you say.

I hated The English Patient, but haven't seen it again since it first came out.

I really liked The End of the Affair (and liked the book by Graham Greene too) but I haven't seen it for a while either. I definitely think it is the better of the two. I think it is much more emotionally involving - I found The English Patient to be quite distant and unpleasant. I like Neil Jordan and think it was well directed.

The English Patient is more distant, I can see that. But I found that the conclusion it built towards was more satisfactory, where as The End of the Affair seemed kind like a more randon, anticlimatic ending, maybe?

Night Monkey likes to beat it.

The latter.

Well the movie isn't near as bad as Elaine makes it out to be .