Is Annihilation as good as Ex-Machina?

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Thought Ex Machina was a modern sci-fi classic. Does Annihilation compare in terms of quality?
Why dont you watch it and tell us what you think, Doc?

They are different movies, for sure - Annihilation is far larger in scope. I personally prefer Annihilation, which I think is absolutely stunning, but that's no put down to the wonderful Ex Machina.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I plan to. Just wanna hear some expert opinions before I see it.
Me too. I thought the trailer was enough of a teaser to whet my whistle, and I hadnt even heard of it prior to that.

Ex Machina I like much better in retrospect. Still coming to terms with how much I disliked the characters, but stunning looking film, and I thought the suspense was very well done.

This might just do nobody any good.
I might get annihilated this weekend. I’ll have thoughts if that happens.

I should’a probably read the book. It’s right there on my desk. Hmm...

Yeah I'm really curious to see where this lies in the impressive Alex Garland oeuvre

• The Beach
  • 28 Days Later
  • Sunshine
  • Never Let Me Go
  • Dredd
  • Ex Machina

While I think I prefer Ex Machina, if I had to choose just one to rewatch, I'd likely go with Annihilation instead.

Annihilation seems like the type of film that would benefit from multiple viewings. And that's not just because there's a lot to unpack in the last act, but there are things that I noticed throughout the film that my room mate didn't, which made elements of the ending make a little more sense to me than it did him. So I have to wonder what else I might pick up if I saw it a second time.

I just don't like Natalie Portman, which sort of spoils the film for me a bit.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
IMO, they are two very different movies. For me at least, Annihilation was a minimalist slow burn with no payoff for me. Moon was minimalist too, but was absolutely wonderful---for my measure and value of minimal. I will watch it again when available to stream, but on first view I was disappointed.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

I saw Annihilation thursday and just re-watched Ex Machina (my 4th viewing) yesterday, and I love both, but I'd give the slight edge to Ex Machina. Annihilation is definitely more ambitious, but I think I Ex Machina works better for me. Maybe as I re-watch Annihilation my opinion may change (it definitely feels like a movie that rewards repeat viewings, and Ex Machina has definitely gotten better and better upon rewatch), but as of now Ex Machina is my preference, they do have a similar feeling though, and watching both within a few days was interesting and I think it enhanced my experience with both films.

To answer my own question.... HELL NO!

I saw Annihilation on Monday night. Didn't enjoy it. It certainly started off strong, and had it's moments, but I found it too convoluted and I wasn't impressed by the acting.

It doesn't hold a candle to Ex Machina.

5/10

“I was cured, all right!”

I saw Annihilation on Monday night. Didn't enjoy it. It certainly started off strong, and had it's moments, but I found it too convoluted and I wasn't impressed by the acting.

5/10
I agree.

5/10
I agree also

Welcome to the human race...
As for me, it's obviously too soon to properly call, but Annihilation definitely has the weight of expectations on it while Ex Machina had the element of surprise. People were comparing this to Stalker and that's a tough standard to live up to for any film.

I'm still giving both of them
anyway.

As for me, it's obviously too soon to properly call, but Annihilation definitely has the weight of expectations on it while Ex Machina had the element of surprise. People were comparing this to Stalker and that's a tough standard to live up to for any film.

I'm still giving both of them
anyway.
How would you sum Annihilation up? What was the third act trying to tell the viewer?

WARNING: "annihilation" spoilers below
I got mixed messages of terminal illness, self destruction, relationship issues / fidelity, morality, the earth's sustainability. And in the end they all just mashed into one big deluge of images assaulting my eyes.

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
I loved Annihilation, it's my favorite film of 2018 so far. I love Ex Machina as well, both excellent. I liked the sci-fi of Annihilation a bit more though.

Thought Ex Machina was a modern sci-fi classic. Does Annihilation compare in terms of quality?
really.. wow, there is literally nothing new in that movie.
Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.