Is it me or is feminism getting out hand in movies now?

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I was watching The Fast and Furious 6, and I liked it, it was fun. But there is one moment that takes the cake for me, in the climax that really took me out of it, and just made me roll eyes.

SPOILER FROM MOVIE

Basically in the action climax, DSS agent Hobbs (Dwayne Johnson), finds out that his partner Riley (Gina Carano) has betrayed him and was actually working for the villains. She also got other DSS agents and innocent people killed as a result of her betrayal. So Hobbs wants to kill her to avenge what she did. During the fight sequence, Hobbs gains the upper hand, and gets a gun and points it her.

Riley is now unarmed with a gun on her, and Hobbs can shoot her to avenge what she did now. However, instead of just shooting her, he tosses the gun to Letty (Michelle Rodriguez), and Letty pulls the trigger for him, and shoots her dead.

Now I thought that this was really dumb. I mean Hobbs, wants to avenge what she did, but the filmmakers seem to have felt that you can't have a male character exacting revenge on a woman, so he must throw the gun to another female character and have her do it.

But Hobbs has had no problem killing in cold blood like he did in the previous Fast and the Furious movie, and now all of a sudden he has a problem avenging comrads' deaths, because it's a woman this time? I mean aren't the filmmakers just being too sensitive and too PC now, where it just makes a person roll their eyes and get taken out of the movie now?

Plus Hobbs, comes off as this merciless tough agent who has no problem killing to avenge with his extremely muscular physique, goatee, and shaved head.. Yet he just completely hands his testicles over to Michelle Rodriguez and wimps out in the end, all because of Hollywood PC writing.

Is it just me, or is this starting to bother anyone else? It does happen in the movies, but I felt this one really took the cake, since they want the female character to die either way, but actually cares which gender pulls the trigger.

And don't get me wrong. When I ask is feminism in movies getting out of hand, I've always thought of myself as a feminist I would say. But I think this is just ridiculous. But what do you think?

PTA
Feminism got out of hand in film the minute they included the "I cannot be killed by a man" scene in the third Lord of the Rings.

This might just do nobody any good.
I like that a fast and furious movie is where the line was drawn.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
I was always taught that a man who hits or kills a woman while she's in a helpless state is a coward and that there's no way he could stand up to a real man. That's all I have to say about that.

But are people really sensitive about this sort of thing? In the movie The World Is Not Enough, James Bond killed an unarmed woman and no audiences complained about that, even nowadays they don't.

It's not necessarily a case of people being sensitive as it is keeping a tradition alive in the pop culture. There's enough hatred and ugliness, so a gesture amidst an otherwise violent action film isn't really an insult to my intelligence. If we were talking about the movie "Monster" that'd be different. Different demographics attracted to different styles of films.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
But are people really sensitive about this sort of thing?
You seem to be. Would you prefer 1950s women wearing aprons and making martinis for hubby when he gets home? I'm not sure what the problem is.

The only time I dont like what you erroneously call feminism is when bromance movies are remade as chick flicks. Write new freaking scripts. I would say the same if it was the other way around. Just write new scripts rather than plagiarise.

You seem to be. Would you prefer 1950s women wearing aprons and making martinis for hubby when he gets home? I'm not sure what the problem is.

The only time I dont like what you erroneously call feminism is when bromance movies are remade as chick flicks. Write new freaking scripts. I would say the same if it was the other way around. Just write new scripts rather than plagiarise.
No I didn't say anything wanting women to behave that way in movies. Perhaps feminism was the wrong word, but the problem is, is that the audience has a problem with a man dispersing revenge against a female killer character, compared to the man handing it off to a woman to carry out.

As for their being enough violence and ugliness in the world, violence is violence, and violence being carried out by a man is no more uglier than it being carried out by a woman. It's still violence. If we are going to have fun with it in the movies, let's not be double standard-ish about it. That's all.

No I didn't say anything wanting women to behave that way in movies. Perhaps feminism was the wrong word, but the problem is, is that the audience has a problem with a man dispersing revenge against a female killer character, compared to the man handing it off to a woman to carry out.

As for their being enough violence and ugliness in the world, violence is violence, and violence being carried out by a man is no more uglier than it being carried out by a woman. It's still violence. If we are going to have fun with it in the movies, let's not be double standard-ish about it. That's all.
Yeah but..it's the Fast and the Furious, though..lol. Come on, man. Don't you ever post like a regular or are you only concerned with trying to provoke? Your thread is weak, bro.

And what do you mean audiences didn't have a problem with the Bond movie? Did you pass out and collect the surveys? You're reaching. Yawn.

the problem is, is that the audience has a problem with a man dispersing revenge against a female killer character, compared to the man handing it off to a woman to carry out.

As for their being enough violence and ugliness in the world, violence is violence, and violence being carried out by a man is no more uglier than it being carried out by a woman. It's still violence. If we are going to have fun with it in the movies, why be double standard-ish about it? That's all.
I'm a woman and I have no problem with a man shooting a villainess on screen; same as my girlfriends. Infact many a night have I had a girls' movie night here where there has been a bad bitch character and we have all yelled KILL HER , so it's a good idea not to generalise. I dont think we are super unusual audience members.

He didnt say violence being carried out by man was worse than being carried out by a woman.

Yeah but..it's the Fast and the Furious, though..lol. Come on, man. Don't you ever post like a regular or are you only concerned with trying to provoke? Your thread is weak, bro.

And what do you mean audiences didn't have a problem with the Bond movie? Did you pass out and collect the surveys? You're reaching. Yawn.
I asked my friends and some other James Bond fans online to and they said it didn't really occur to them.

And yes I am aware it's The Fast and the Furious, but it's a popular franchise with many fans, so it does hold some weight on what audiences want to see, and audiences's views.

I'm a woman and I have no problem with a man shooting a villainess on screen; same as my girlfriends. Infact many a night have I had a girls' movie night here where there has been a bad bitch character and we have all yelled KILL HER , so it's a good idea not to generalise. I dont think we are super unusual audience members.

He didnt say violence being carried out by man was worse than being carried out by a woman.
Well if you are your friends don't have a problem with it, perhaps the movie was being too sensitive and generalized that audiences would have a problem with it.

No, right. And what I mentioned was that an otherwise violent movie.

If I see some movie where it's about cutting mens testes off the entire time, I'll just turn it off. Pc writing? Skip the disney movies like Fast and Furious then. They are cartoons for teenagers.

Well if you are your friends don't have a problem with it, perhaps the movie was being too sensitive and generalized that audiences would have a problem with it.[/quote]

What? I have no idea what you mean.

Well if you are your friends don't have a problem with it, perhaps the movie was being too sensitive and generalized that audiences would have a problem with it.
What? I have no idea what you mean.[/quote]

What I meant was is that if women viewers do not have a problem with Hobbs killing her, than the filmmakers shouldn't have assumed it would be a problem. It's like they filmmaker said women won't be able to handle it, when it fact they can.

What I meant was is that if women viewers do not have a problem with Hobbs killing her, than the filmmakers shouldn't have assumed it would be a problem. It's like they filmmaker said women won't be able to handle it, when it fact they can.
You're making an assumption yourself, dear chap. Did one of the film makers say women have a problem with it?

And which woman did Bond kill? I would have been happy if he had killed the madonna character, or any villainess, the same as I'd be happy if he killed a villain.

I still want to know who the female character was that Jimmy killed.

Hannibal killed a female character in the tv series, and in a very bizarre fashion. The angry SJWs that sent the showrunner filthy tweets didnt do it because she was a woman. ¯\_(ツ)_/

eta: I never had a problem with him killing her. She was just another meal for a hungry person

And lets talk about Hannibal in SotL. He didnt kill Starling - it wasnt because she was a woman. I dont recll any sort of fandom backlash like your OP. The reason he didnt kill her was because she wasnt rude to him. He would have let off a male FBI agent for the same reason IMO.

This thread doesn't even make sense, Dani8, so don't sweat it. Feminism would lean more towards equality any way so if that's the case then the gentleman thing done in F&F would be anti feminist because it's playing favorites to gender. Ya can't win! lol.

It would be good to know the meaning of feminism first. I'd say about 90% of the shlt you see on the net is totally misguided crap using feminism as a header when it's actually the opposite.

The age of enlightenment. Oh yeah!!

I'd say about 905 of the shlt you see on the net is totally misguided crap using feminism as a header when it's actually the opposite.
LOL yes! And Joel, I have to say that the whole wah wah feminism and PC at every opportunity thing from angry young things gets uber irritating, but IMO it's ramped up by misguided young SJWs and Red Pillers.

LOL yes! And Joel, I have to say that the whole wah wah feminism and PC at every opportunity thing from angry young things gets uber irritating, but IMO it's ramped up by misguided young SJWs and Red Pillers.
Not to be super prickly but I do notice it's a lot of the younger folks who get their logic confused and who bark up the wrong trees. Too much internet is baaaad. Which reminds me, time for me to sign off. LOL!