Altered Carbon

Tools    

http://www.looper.com/97703/might-fi...ltered-carbon/

"The internet is buzzing over what appear to be the first tie-in images for Netflix's upcoming science fiction series Altered Carbon, which were posted discreetly to Reddit over the course of the last week.

Altered Carbon is the debut novel of writer Richard K. Morgan, released in 2002 and establishing the author's cyberpunk sci-fi style. A hardboiled detective story set hundreds of years in the future, it introduced the character Takeshi Kovacs, an elite soldier and resident of Harlan's World, an extrasolar planet where people are able to live indefinitely.

Immortality in this future is gained by a process called "resleeving", in which a dying person's consciousness is removed from one body—or "sleeve"—and replaced in another. It will follow Kovacs investigating the suspicious death of one wealthy man's previous sleeve, which evidently ended in suicide, though the man cannot recall why.

The television series adaptation of the novel, of which 10 episodes have been announced, will star Suicide Squad and The Killing's Joel Kinnaman as Kovacs, with James Purefoy and Kinnaman's Killing co-star Kristin Lehman in supporting roles.

The series is being developed by Laeta Kalogridis, who previously wrote Alexander, Shutter Island and Terminator Genisys.

Netflix has yet to comment on suspicions regarding the images' provenance, so the mystery for now continues indefinitely. One way or another, Altered Carbon is expected to arrive on Netflix sometime in 2018.
"

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Is that the same Richard Morgan who wrote The Steel Remains? Because that was genuinely one of the worst things I have ever read. (Edit: Yep, looks like it is.)

The concept sounds interesting, if it can rise above the Blade Runner rip-off vibes it's giving off.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Joel Kinnamon off carbs for a year featuring new music by Trent Reznor.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
OK this got me interested (apart from the pepsi commercial)

The body count in this thing is insane.
Altered Carbon, Netflix’s new SF series based on the novel by Richard Morgan, is very, very, very violent.

Set in a future where human consciousness can basically be saved to disk and bodies – “sleeves” in the lexicon of the book and series – are both interchangeable and disposable, the show delights in showing how casual an attitude to violence, pain and dismemberment a society with access to that kind of technology might have. in practical terms that means a lot of work for stunt coordinator Larnell Stovall and the cast, who enthuse about the process in this new behind the scenes clip.

Pay special attention to the business about the zero gravity fight – you’re gonna love that one.

Also, see that ring announcer in the opening seconds? None other than Matt “Max Headroom” Frewer. Remember him?

I'm actually watching this for the second time. I certainly get all the Blade runner comparisons but this show is really quite good. Along with Stranger Things, maybe the two best shows netflix has put out.

To me, that would make it good. I like stuff like that.
Well, that depends. If it's things that could grow on me, then I'd agree. When it's stuff like whoah, really hated the female lead then not so sure.

Still overall, I'd say I enjoyed it.

A system of cells interlinked
Well, that depends. If it's things that could grow on me, then I'd agree. When it's stuff like whoah, really hated the female lead then not so sure.

Still overall, I'd say I enjoyed it.
Ortega?? Oh man, I love me some Ortega!

Or do you mean Falconer?

Show is awesome! I will also probably watch it again once I am done with it.

Ortega?? Oh man, I love me some Ortega!

Or do you mean Falconer?

Show is awesome! I will also probably watch it again once I am done with it.
Ortega. Very pretty, but wow, bad actress. Not as bad as The Punisher's Dinah Madani though (oh my god, VERY bad acting )

Ortega. Very pretty, but wow, bad actress. Not as bad as The Punisher's Dinah Madani though (oh my god, VERY bad acting )
Yeah, I mean, I see what you're sayin. But I'm not watching the show because of the cast. I thought she was fine and really she had some of the best moments in the show. Her few moments spent with that fella that murdered her whole family was pretty poignant don't ya think? I loved it. I tend to take the show as a whole instead of breaking down individual performances I reckon. I mean a lot of these shows today are just re-treaded old shows and stories anyway. But I've never seen a show like this one before. It was breathtaking at times. I think I've become a fan.

Yeah, I mean, I see what you're sayin. But I'm not watching the show because of the cast. I thought she was fine and really she had some of the best moments in the show. Her few moments spent with that fella that murdered her whole family was pretty poignant don't ya think? I loved it. I tend to take the show as a whole instead of breaking down individual performances I reckon. I mean a lot of these shows today are just re-treaded old shows and stories anyway. But I've never seen a show like this one before. It was breathtaking at times. I think I've become a fan.
I take shows as a whole too. But if there's acting that's so bad it takes me right out of it, it spoils the whole (for me). She's not Madani-bad, but she's close. This show looks really good, I've no qualms with that. But the female characters were laughably bad.

Watched the first 3 episodes last night. The acting is poor, as is the dialogue. However the special effects and production design are full of razzle-dazzle. They must have a large budget. The story itself is interesting, and will surely have a surprise ending..

~Doc

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I watched bits of 3 and 4 with Mr D after he had already started the season when I was sleeping on the weekend, and it has my attention enough to binge to get up to date and follow on with him. The fight scenes look pretty good and the actress who plays Ortega especially looked kick ass in the elevator. The russian guy laughing as he was being tortured had me-always cracks me up, and the sex scenes from what I saw looked nicely done. The orange and teal fad that I usually loathe didnt offend me either. They got that right. Most of all I am hooked by who the real good and bad guys are.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Just now 4 EPs in. Production and design are epic and I believe this world is huge, despite many scenes are starting to only play out in the same hotel, police department, and mansion. Scene transitions are fluid and downright gorgeous at times. Really love the layering of objects in framing and focus pulls. Was VERY annoyed by the one-line hero comments in EPs 1 and 2 but that seems to have eased off.

The mysteries are getting dense as there are a lot if flashbacks and sleeve names/personalities to keep track of. While I feel that everything will be made clear on how these subplots connect, it's all a bit distracting atm.

One negative that really hit me during the VR interrogation was how so much time was burned explaining "don't beat the game, beat the player" in one episode. Then in the following episode they kind of abandoned that to just reimagine the VR construct to get out. That was strange to me that for so much time given to a concept it did not blend well with the actual solution. I got it, but it felt sloppy.

Loving a new sci-fi run though. I just hope it maintains its momentum and doesn't fall into USA Network mystery serial patterns.