Basic Instinct - Theories on who the killer(s) were

Tools    

My theory is that in the movie, Catherine killed her parents when she was younger, killed her counselor in college with an ice pick and did the same to Johnny Boz and Gus and that Beth killed Nielson and her ex husband with the .38 years prior. And that Beth and Catherine remained lovers since college and Beth gave Catherine info about Nick that didn't require giving her any files. And I think Catherine set up Beth at the end to look like the killer (no reason to leave the wig and police jacket on the stairs). Anyone else have other theories?

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
The movie never really gives enough information which is one of the reasons I don't like it. I feel that the twist was too gimmicky, like they wanted to create too much of a "a-ha!" moment, and then just cut the movie off and end it. It just left me not caring, what really happened.

The movie never really gives enough information which is one of the reasons I don't like it. I feel that the twist was too gimmicky, like they wanted to create too much of a "a-ha!" moment, and then just cut the movie off and end it. It just left me not caring, what really happened.
You're 100% correct. Basic Instinct is a mediocre noir film with little else going for it outside of Sharon Stone's sex appeal.

Just watch Body Heat instead. It's everything Basic Instinct TRIED to be and more.

I love Body Heat! The Last Seduction and Sea of Love are really good ones as well.

I love Body Heat! The Last Seduction and Sea of Love are really good ones as well.
The Last Seduction was excellent! Sea of Love, I wasn't too crazy about it, but it wasn't bad.... a lot better than Basic Instinct, that's for sure.

Out of all those movies I guess my order would be Sea of Love, The Last Seduction, and then Body Heat.

Out of all those movies I guess my order would be Sea of Love, The Last Seduction, and then Body Heat.
I already opened a topic on Body Heat a few weeks ago. To me, it's one of the best noir films ever. I'd put it clearly ahead of the other two.

Granted, I've only seen Sea of Love once and it was about 7-8 years ago. I should give it a second chance.

Body Heat was pretty good, although I guess the reason I don't love it more than the rest is because it does feel like it's really similar to Double Indemnity, although possibly better done.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The fact that they purposely ignore DNA evidence in this film is frustrating.

Suspect's Reviews

You're 100% correct. Basic Instinct is a mediocre noir film with little else going for it outside of Sharon Stone's sex appeal.

Just watch Body Heat instead. It's everything Basic Instinct TRIED to be and more.
basic instincts appeal comes from.its premise, the whole atmosphere of the film, and how we are told nick currens story as a cop on a case of serial killer on the loose, for me there is great chemistry btw him and his buddy cop the late georges dzundza, leave the sex scenes apart it s a very solid who dunit film with a great score by jerry goldsmith

But I don't think it's that great whodunit and it left me asking all the questions in the end. For example"

SPOILER

Katherine wanted revenge on Beth right? So how did she know that killing the rockstar would have Nick put on the case? She needs to manipulate Nick cause Nick is Beth's patient and former lover, but how did she know that the cop on the case, would be a patient and former lover of Beth's? What are the odds?

Yes I am a fan of Sea of Love. I haven't seen Body Heat in years though.

For me the appeal for this film is from the cinematography add to that the brilliant eriee jerry goldsmith score, i love who dunit movies, for me paul verhoeven knows very well how to put u inside the realm of this film s universe from the first minute, maybe because im not american and im not from san francisco or los angeles, but there is definite artistry in how to get the setting to give it a lasting appeal on the viewer like me, they just don t make thrillers like this anymore, and definitely no scores like this....

One part of the movie I didn't get, why did Katherina, mention the name "Oberman" but then later she told him what she actually said was Hoberman, but it still in fact Oberman that she said before? What's the point of giving Nick fake name of a person, if you are just going to tell him that he heard wrong and give him the real name later?

One part of the movie I didn't get, why did Katherina, mention the name "Oberman" but then later she told him what she actually said was Hoberman, but it still in fact Oberman that she said before? What's the point of giving Nick fake name of a person, if you are just going to tell him that he heard wrong and give him the real name later?
Yup i didn t get that part aswell, but remember when nick said to his lieutenant , about beth, that katherine tramell is part of her game, so beth did kill nielsen

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Good thread, kids. I double rep this.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Loved this movie when I say it. Was shot so well and the music like another rambond was saying. Gotta also say.....Sharon stone looked perfect in this movie....like as close to perfection as you can get. Not sure about the actual plot. I remember it kept me engaged throughout. Think it was confusing though. Deserves a rewatch.

Loved this movie when I say it. Was shot so well and the music like another rambond was saying. Gotta also say.....Sharon stone looked perfect in this movie....like as close to perfection as you can get. Not sure about the actual plot. I remember it kept me engaged throughout. Think it was confusing though. Deserves a rewatch.
i ve seen it like 5 to 6 times maybe more, i like micheal douglas in any film, he just captures the whole scene, great actor

another part of the film, that gives u a hint that beth was mind played by katherine and that she has to do with it, is when nick comes to say thank you to her at the police station, as she was going to the car, then she was smiling at him but when he enters the door, she directly lost her smile....