Sorcerer

Tools    

Unregistered User
I love Sorcerer and slightly prefer it to Wages Of Fear but its very close. Apparently its coming back to cinemas in UK in November. Really hope it'll be on at one close to me.

"you shall not allow a sorceress to live" lol

William Friedkin has his own theory of why it flopped... because the main role, played by Roy Scheider, was originally intended for Steve McQueen.

Friedkin declined to grant McQueen's request to have McQueen's wife credited as Associate Producer, so McQueen turned down the role. Friedkin felt (and probably correctly so) that had it starred a movie star like McQueen, it would have been a mainstream success.

But personally, I feel Scheider did an AWESOME job.
Me too. I don't know Steve McQueen as an actor in depth so I can't really compare the potential that Friedkin seems to believe he would have had with his first choice over Scheider. It's difficult to believe McQueen being much better at any rate, and I do remember the similarly grueling Papillon fairly well.

You can't win an argument just by being right!

One of the best movies of the 70s, and probably the most underrated movie of the 70s. Always been one of my favorites from that decade.

William Friedkin has three other classics that I love; The French Connection, The Excorcist, and To Live and Die in LA, but I consider Sorcerer his best film.

Anyone else a fan?
That was a great movie. Worth seeing just for the budget blow out alone.

I watched Sorcerer yesterday for the first time after becoming aware of it due to mentions on this site. The apparent lack of connection between the title and the subject matter certainly pulled me in and in this respect it reminded me of the unmade-for-TV Doctor Who story Leviathan, which begins in a medieval setting and involves Herne the Hunter. As with Sorcerer the meaning of the title takes time to be revealed.

I was expecting something like a Werner Herzog film, chiefly Aguirre, the Wrath of God and Fitzcarraldo. Although there are some very impressive sequences, especially crossing the bridge, the comparison with Herzog's brilliance got the better of me and I started to wish he had made it instead. I actually found the lead-in prior to South America more interesting than the ultimate journey.

Having read a little about the production I was surprised to see that Friedkin thought he'd have had a better film with Steve McQueen as originally planned. I concluded it would have been weaker without Roy Scheider – as usual very engaging and interesting to watch.

My favourite part of Sorcerer ended up being the master typography of the end titles. I really enjoyed seeing that kind of confidence and ability with type writ large .

I Roy Scheider – as usual very engaging and interesting to watch.
I saw this movie at the cinema because of Roy. My Pony Camp girlfriend and I had a crush on him after Jaws and saw everything he was in at the time.

I saw this movie at the cinema because of Roy. My Pony Camp girlfriend and I had a crush on him after Jaws and saw everything he was in at the time.
Check this clip out Dani from 0:50:

Check this clip out Dani from 0:50:
I knew there was a reason I loved Emily, See. You know, apart from the fact she makes Tom Cruise scream like a crushed turnip.

https://tvbookmark.com/
I`ll watch