A League of their Own

→ in
Tools    

So what happens when all the men are busy fighting ? You recruit the women to do the manly chores, naturally. One such "chore" is playing baseball, and A League of Their Own sheds some light on the first (and to my knowledge only) professional baseball league for ladies, which took place in the mid 40s/50s. Film concentrates on the inaugural season of the league and portrays multiple struggles - two sisters torn apart by their popularity on the team, a drunken has-been of a player who is coaching one of the teams, and the effort of a young businessman to try and keep the league alive - while adding a gentle comedic twist...and some pretty good baseball scenes, too.

What really distinguishes this film from the pack of other lighthearted sports affair is some terrific acting. Geena Davis and Lori Petty are a delight as the aforementioned sisters, Tom Hanks has a marvelous comedic performance as the drunken coach, and Madonna really excels as the baseball vixen Mae "All-the-Way-Mae" Mordabito - lest I forget, John Lovitz has a brief, but absolutely hilarious role as the crude, abrasive talent scout Ernie Capadino. Madonna also sings "This Used to Be My Playground" for the closing credits.

A nice film to watch with your family, or just alone if you like the subject.

My grade : B+

Originally Posted by Mairosu
So what happens when all the men are busy fighting ? You recruit the women to do the manly chores, naturally. One such "chore" is playing baseball, and A League of Their Own sheds some light on the first (and to my knowledge only) professional baseball league for ladies, which took place in the mid 40s/50s. Film concentrates on the inaugural season of the league and portrays multiple struggles - two sisters torn apart by their popularity on the team, a drunken has-been of a player who is coaching one of the teams, and the effort of a young businessman to try and keep the league alive - while adding a gentle comedic twist...and some pretty good baseball scenes, too.

What really distinguishes this film from the pack of other lighthearted sports affair is some terrific acting. Geena Davis and Lori Petty are a delight as the aforementioned sisters, Tom Hanks has a marvelous comedic performance as the drunken coach, and Madonna really excels as the baseball vixen Mae "All-the-Way-Mae" Mordabito - lest I forget, John Lovitz has a brief, but absolutely hilarious role as the crude, abrasive talent scout Ernie Capadino. Madonna also sings "This Used to Be My Playground" for the closing credits.

A nice film to watch with your family, or just alone if you like the subject.

My grade : B+
I like this movie. I thought the acting was very good, although Davis had some pretty unimpressive moments.

I have never been to a baseball match as it is not popular here, but I am a sucker for any movie with a game in it, this is one of my favs.