R.I.P. Lovefilm by post

Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
So, a few years after purchasing the lovefilm dvd rental service, Amazon have predictably killed it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...vice-lovefilm/

Sure, streaming is easier, but the selection of films available on amazon, netflix or sky is nowhere near is as broad. All you typically get is a handful of new release movies, a smattering of classics you've seen before, all bulked out with a bunch of cheap and nasty filler (straight to streaming if not straight to dvd).

It's absolutely no good for older movies, more obscure movies or if you want to actually choose what you want to watch yourself rather than picking from their narrow selection. Absolutely no good for participating in the halls of fame, for example.

Not impressed with amazon at all.

Unregistered User
So, a few years after purchasing the lovefilm dvd rental service, Amazon have predictably killed it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...vice-lovefilm/

Sure, streaming is easier, but the selection of films available on amazon, netflix or sky is nowhere near is as broad. All you typically get is a handful of new release movies, a smattering of classics you've seen before, all bulked out with a bunch of cheap and nasty filler (straight to streaming if not straight to dvd).

It's absolutely no good for older movies, more obscure movies or if you want to actually choose what you want to watch yourself rather than picking from their narrow selection. Absolutely no good for participating in the halls of fame, for example.

Not impressed with amazon at all.

Agree. Total shame. I had Lovefilm up until a few years ago and relied on it heavily for exactly the reasons you mentioned above. As soon as Amazon took over it was only going to be a matter of time. Netflix is decent enough for doc's but the film choice is poor.

Lovefilm was my very first online rental then I moved to Blockbuster because Lovefilm at that time were absolutely horrendous and got fed up with them, then Blockbuster finished and it was back to Lovefilm who thankfully sorted themselves out. Now, pfft. Shame really but thankfully there are others out there.

So once October finishes, I'll be joining Cinema Paradiso. Apparently has more films than Lovefilm but it's slightly slower and a bit more expensive but at least it's better than not having a physical disc online rental.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
So once October finishes, I'll be joining Cinema Paradiso. Apparently has more films than Lovefilm but it's slightly slower and a bit more expensive but at least it's better than not having a physical disc online rental.
Yeah, I'll be joining them too. I don't mind if it's a bit slower as long as I can still get dvds.