Uncubed (A.K.A. Cube Zero)

Tools    

Lions Gate is believed to have started already filming a prequel to the "Cube" movie series entitled Uncubed .Filming began last Monday and continues through til nxt month, with Stephanie Moore (“John Q”) the first confirmed castmember onboard. Andrew Miller (Kazan in the first film) won’t make a return due to a hectic scheduele, whilst a Fall 2004 release is already tipped.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	cube0title.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	1559  

MR. X ANNOUNCES 'CUBE ZERO'!
Digital Effects Studio Co-Produces the Newest Feature Installment of the Popular "Cube" Sci-Fi Film Franchise

Toronto, Ontario. December 5, 2003 - Toronto-based digital effects company Mr. X, Inc. announces an exciting new milestone, with a Co-Producer credit on the new feature film Cube Zero. This sci-fi feature-length project is financed and distributed by Lions Gate Entertainment, produced by Suzanne Colvin-Goulding and Jon Goulding of Mad Circus Films, and co-produced by Dennis Berardi and Eric Robertson of Mr. X. Cube Zero is the third installment in the celebrated Sci-Fi Cube franchise. This film marks a new achievement for Mr. X, as the studio's first official foray into producing on a feature film.

The team at Mr. X is known for its collaborative skills in helping filmmakers to realize the full potential of their vision through digital artistry. The move to co-produce at the feature level was therefore a natural one. "Cube Zero represents a vital step for Mr. X," comments Co-Producer Dennis Berardi. "We've provided invaluable production support for years on a variety of high-profile features. Now we're at last moving into producing, and we are incredibly excited about the new opportunities this kind of involvement will bring to our studio." Mr. X will also be providing all visual effects for Cube Zero, with Mr. X's Aaron Weintraub serving as Visual Effects Supervisor.

The Cube series is tailor-made for Mr. X, as it offers a worldwide cult following as well as significant critical praise, and allows the studio to harness its own superb skills in effects as part of the producing package. Comments Cube Zero's Director and Writer, Ernie Barbarash: "Despite its modest budget, Cube Zero has very intricate technical and production needs, so we were looking for partners in the process - not just a visual effects company." He adds, "We chose Mr. X for the project simply because they are the best. They've always delivered beautiful work - on time, and on budget. Dennis, Eric, Aaron, and the rest of the team are incredibly creative, and go above and beyond the call of duty. Mr. X is the ideal collaborator - there was never even a question of going to anyone else." Mr. X plans to pursue other projects as Co-Producers with a view to producing their own projects in the future.

Cube Zero, being the third film in the series that began with Cube in 1997, followed by Cube 2: Hypercube in 2002, will continue the tradition of the series with some truly ingenious traps and scares. Barbarash's primary goal was to create a believable prequel that would mesh seamlessly with the cube mythology created by Vincenzo Natali in 1997. "I hope that we raise at least as many questions as we answer," comments Barbarash. "After all, that was one of the most successful elements of Vincenzo's original film - its philosophical questioning was really the heart of the film."

In creating the look and feel of Cube Zero, the filmmakers purposely turned away from the hyper-clean look and feel of Hypercube, choosing to go in a grittier direction for the series, with Production Designer Jon Goulding and Director Ernie Barbarash finding inspiration among such raw, dark and critically acclaimed films as The City of Lost Children, Brazil, and Dark City. "Even the traps are much more physical and raw than those we had in Hypercube," Barbarash adds.

About Cube Zero
Cube Zero is a sci-fi feature length project being financed and distributed by Lions Gate Entertainment (AMEX and TSX:LGF ), produced by Suzanne Colvin-Goulding and Jon Goulding of the Toronto and New York based Production company Mad Circus Films, and co-produced by Dennis Berardi and Eric Robertson of Toronto digital effects company Mr. X.

In this prequel to one of the most successful sci-fi thrillers of the last decade, we once again find our unwilling participants frantically moving through a peculiar construct of cube-shaped rooms, each holding the potential threat of hideously inventive and painful death. However, finding the exit is only the beginning of an even worse nightmare. Even as we start to learn more about who and what is behind the Cube, we are left with even more questions as the cosmic mysteries of the Cube universe are revealed.

Writer/Director Ernie Barbarash is shooting Cube Zero in Toronto along with Director of Photography Francois Dagenais, Production Designer Jon Goulding, Editors Mark Sanders and Mitch Lackie, Music Composer Norm Orenstein, and Production Manager Randy Kumano. Cast includes Zackary Bennett, David Huband, Stephanie Moore, Michael Riley, Martin Roach, Michael "Nug" Nahrgang, Terri Hawkes and Richard McMillan. Principal photography wrapped in September and is now being posted in Toronto for release in spring 2004.

About Lions Gate Entertainment
Lions Gate Entertainment is a leading diversified independent producer and distributor of motion pictures, television programming, home entertainment, animation and video-on-demand content. The Lions Gate brand name is synonymous with original, daring, quality entertainment in markets around the world.

Who is Mr. X?
Bringing together a superb team of artists, filmmakers, VFX supervisors, and programmers, Mr. X specializes in partnering with filmmakers to provide story-driven visual enhancements. The artists and creative minds at Mr. X are known for their superb, photo-realistic achievements in CGI, their skills in digital matte painting, VFX compositing, and Post/VFX supervision, as well as for their realistic digital creations of epic-scale and otherwise impossible stunts. With a studio equipped with a rare mix of the latest imaging technologies, the team at Mr. X is committed to pushing the limits of the digital realm, and in making the impossible, possible.

With credits on dozens of distinguished projects including Wrong Turn, Blizzard, Ararat, Cube 2: Hypercube, The Sweet Hereafter and many more, Mr. X helps to define the very look and feel of a film. New projects in the works for the company include such anticipated feature releases as Dawn of the Dead, Resident Evil: Apocalypse, and Cube Zero.

For more information on Mad Circus Films, please visit their website at www.madcircusfilms.com. For more information on Mr. X, please visit their website at www.mrxfx.com.

# # #

Kaiser "The Devil" Soze
Originally Posted by jrs
Lions Gate is believed to have started already filming a prequel to the "Cube" movie series entitled Uncubed .Filming began last Monday and continues through til nxt month, with Stephanie Moore (“John Q”) the first confirmed castmember onboard. Andrew Miller (Kazan in the first film) won’t make a return due to a hectic scheduele, whilst a Fall 2004 release is already tipped.
Wow, I'm a year late on posting on this thread but, meeh whatever........I'm surprised you've found a poster for Cube zero already. And here we are a year later.... any release date yet?

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
So I am guessing this movie is not going to happen, I can't find a listing for this movie anywhere, I think it is a great idea I am a fan of all the Cube movies and would love to see this if it's ever made but I guess it is a wash.

So is Uncubed the same as Cube Zero? If so then my bad.

They made three of these. I liked them all pretty well, though the sequels were mostly rehashes with gorier deaths, I think. I haven't watched any in a long time. Might go back and rewatch.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Cube Zero is actually a pretty decent flick with a great ending. My MAIN problem with it though is that it explains way too much about the man behind the curtain. The brilliance of the original was how ambiguous everything was, here they lay it all out on the table.

It connects more to the original than the second does. The second had a lot of time travel and other odd things about it.

Suspect's Reviews

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
I thought I had seen all 3 cube movies, but I don't remember a prequel so now I'm not sure if I have ever seen Cube Zero, have to get it again.