Friday Night Lights

Tools    

Surprised there wasn't a thread for this here since i know there's a few fans here. Starting this because i'm watching this with my gf and i know i'll probably want to post about it alot so it makes more sense starting this than constantly posting in the TV Tab. Also @seanc said he'd be interested in my thoughts, he may have been just being nice but i've backed him into a corner now he has to read it haha.

I've watched the first two episodes and am enjoying it, my two posts and profile comments about it so far so i don't have to repeat myself:

Planning on trying Friday Night Lights with my gf soon. She's never seen it before, i tried an episode a few years ago got bored and turned it off. Hopefully i like it more this time and obviously i'll give it a better chance.

Other than Twin Peaks i've not watched any tv in months, haven't even finished The Americans yet.
Watched the first episode of Friday Night Lights. I liked it, think i didn't give it enough of a chance last time. Seems like it's got potential to be something i see through to the end. I could tell what was going to happen from the moment that Street guy was introduced with him being the best prospect in the nation as a commentator put it, although hilariously one of the reasons i was so sure was because for some reason i believed he was Coach Taylors son right up until the end of the episode

Anyway looking forward to more.
I got an odd vibe from Streets girlfriend in the second episode, as if she was only interested in him because he was the football star, i didn't get that vibe in the first episode as well. It was her talking about the football player who was injured and sat out a year of college, dunno just felt weird. My gf disagrees tho so we'll see soon i guess.

Oh yeah and the new quarterback guys gran was awesome
Chandler was good in the episode, i can tell that even if i fall out with the show i'll like him at least. As i said in the TV Tab:

I swear i felt like a moron, and my gf made me feel like one . I must have misheard something at the start when Taylor and Street were being interviewed, i didn't really pick up on Street's name until i looked it up after. Also after the tackle the commentator says something like "Coach Taylor loves all his boys so this will get to him, but as a parent...". The way he said that i thought he was saying it must be especially awful for Coach since he's not just his coach but his parent. It wasn't until a few minutes later that it dawned on me he was referring to the crying woman who came onto the field who was clearly not Taylors wife. I genuinely said "Oh, he's not the coaches son?", and yeah i got laughed at for the rest of the episode, i'm an idiot .

Looking forward to the rest.

Who the hell is going to be interested in this thread.
Me. I posted in another thread that I bought the box set & am about to watch the final season. Amazed I like the show since I have zero interest in American football.

Me. I posted in another thread that I bought the box set & am about to watch the final season. Amazed I like the show since I have zero interest in American football.
Me too, I was teasing Camo.

Yeah, might not get a ton of responses, but who knows.

I loved this show. It's not something I'd expect to like on paper: I prefer tension and mystery and high concepts over simple drama, however well done. But in Friday Night Lights it's really well done, so I'm glad I gave it a try. It has its ups and downs (a certain plotline in season 2 is, I think we'll all agree, the silliest point in the entire series), but it does something really audacious down the stretch and some of its moments just land so well. And it's probably the single best depiction of a marriage on TV that I think I've ever seen. Really refreshing to see a show disprove the idea that relationship drama can only come from boilerplate "will-they-or-won't-they" sexual tension, or having couples in a constant state of either breaking up or reuniting, rather than just depicting what it's like to be with someone day in and day out.

Highly recommended.

Agree about the plot nonsense in season 2.
WARNING: spoilers below
One other ludicrous arc was to have Tim Riggins go to prison for an unspecified amount of time.

Kyle Chandler made the show for me. Such a natural actor.

Damn, don't even think i can read my own thread coz of the spoilers

Still not had a chance to watch any since ep 2, might not be until this weekend.
Edited my post 'cos I did put a spoiler. Even though it was teeny.

Edited my post 'cos I did put a spoiler. Even though it was teeny.
It's fine. As i said to Yoda i only glanced at it and i also haven't gotten a hold of everyones names so i wouldn't have remembered anyway.

It's fine. As i said to Yoda i only glanced at it and i also haven't gotten a hold of everyones names so i wouldn't have remembered anyway.
Right. By the time you get to season 5 you will definitely have forgotten.

Maybe you will watch the Super Bowl this year?

Right. By the time you get to season 5 you will definitely have forgotten.

Maybe you will watch the Super Bowl this year?
I thought it said Season 2? Not opening the spoiler to check though haha.

I watch the Super Bowl every year, that's usually the only NFL match i see tho.

I thought it said Season 2? Not opening the spoiler to check though haha.

I watch the Super Bowl every year, that's usually the only NFL match i see tho.
No. Yoga mentioned season 2 because of a nutty plot line. No spoilers. My teeny spoiler was season 5.

An update since this has been left dormant. Just finished the third episode, will be watching probably 5 or 6 tomorrow since we're not doing anything. I'll post my thoughts then since i should be pretty familiar with it by that point.

She also wants to see The Sopranos after catching an ep in her grandparents and liking it despite being resistant to all my attempts to get her to watch it

It was the episode that Tony & Pals go to Naples and come back with Furio. Think it makes sense that worked because other than the Pussy and the Elvis impersonator stuff it's mostly a standalone episode.

Guess i'll be watching The Sopranos for the 800th time over the next few months then...

It was the episode that Tony & Pals go to Naples and come back with Furio. Think it makes sense that worked because other than the Pussy and the Elvis impersonator stuff it's mostly a standalone episode.

Guess i'll be watching The Sopranos for the 800th time over the next few months then...
Great episode. Christopher declaring every day that he was going to see Vesuvius, but spent the entire trip with a needle in his arm.

Loved when he brought back a Fendi bag for Adriana, which he bought at JFK!

Great episode. Christopher declaring every day that he was going to see Vesuvius, but spent the entire trip with a needle in his arm.

Loved when he brought back a Fendi bag for Adriana, which he bought at JFK!
Yeah, the part where Furio and the other guy introduces themselves you can tell Chris is weirded out by the kisses because it's not a cultural norm for him, then he spies the needle marks on the guys arm and he can't think of anything else