The Beach

→ in
Tools    

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Just watched this flick on HBO, and I don't know what to say. As I was watching the movie I hated it, until the end. I thought it was stupid, dumb, and boring. It was TRYING to be too deep and meaningful and the acting was second rate. But there was something towards the ending when I started to think differently. I started to think it was an ok movie. And then I started to think it was a good movie. And then I started to think it was a great movie. And then I remembered the begining of the movie and was like this movie SUCKS! So I don't know what to say about it. Anyone else think anything?

You would have probably been better off seeing it at a theater. I thought it was a pretty original movie. I enjoyed it.

MovieForums Extra
I don't know, I haven't seen the movie yet, but the mere fact that it has DiCaprio in it makes me very reluctant to watch it...maybe when it comes out on pay tv! Can anyone reccomend it?

I thought it was pretty bad. I wouldn't recommend paying to see it.

were you drinking anything at the time Og?

Ah The Beach.

I finished the book in a few days. Devoted half my holiday time reading it. It was that good.

When I heard that there was going to be a film, I was excited. The book is inherently filmable. Plenty of dialogue, lovely setting, nicely structured plot with an intense ending. The film couldn't fail, especially with Danny Boyle directing, could it?

Yes, it did. As an adaptation of one of my favourite books of recent years, it was a failure. As a film itself though, it's not half bad. They messed around with the book too much giving Di Caprio more of a hero's role than he should have. In the book he doesn't get the girl and he never sleeps with Sal. Ewwww! How awful was that sex scene! And the ending was less successful than the books which was much more violent.

However, Di Caprio was fine. The french girl, Virginie Ledoyen, was edible. And the island looked very, very sexy.

Oh and I loved that computer moment. Not in the book. Very original. That scene alone pushed it up a star in my ratings meter.

Originally Posted by bigvalbowski
Oh and I loved that computer moment. Not in the book. Very original. That scene alone pushed it up a star in my ratings meter.
I know this is an old thread, but I couldn't agree more with what this ghost said. Overall, the movie was okay. Leonardo DiCaprio (I’m NOT a hater) and Tilda Swinton did admirably, but the rest of the cast was kind of flat. The setting was beautiful. But for me, it was the video game sequence that made me like it more than what it was worth.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

I hated this film the first time, but I always thought DiCaprio was great in it. I know this is an extremely old thread, but I wanted to discuss The Beach with some current MoFo regulars. I really like this film now. Stylish, weirdly compelling and even thought-provoking. Love it? Hate it? Anyone?

See the trailer here:

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I saw this film twice at the cinema in 2000, even though I didn't think it was all that great (this was when I was a student and didn't have stuff to do!).

I thought it was an ok film. It was pretty well made, not boring, but not especially memorable. I don't think DiCaprio was bad in it, but I think he was an odd choice to play Richard (at least as he is in the book). I think it wasn't popular at the time because people thought DiCaprio was just in it because of his post-Titanic fame and because after Trainspotting, expectations were higher for a Danny Boyle film.

The Beach itself looked great, and the way it changes from idyllic paradise to something more sinister is good, even if it isn't a particularly original idea. I wasn't sure about some of the changes made to the book - I'm not against sex in movies, but I did think it was sexed-up to no particular purpose.

I liked the soundtrack, though.

It's definitely a lot different from the book, but I don't think that's a mistake at all. Film is a very separate medium from literature in a lot of ways.

I also loved the soundtrack.

My brother watched it before I did and said it was great and a must see so I hired it out years after its release and upon first viewing I loved it and thought it was great. The movie set was excellent and the story wasn't bad. I would love to find myself with the opportunity of living recluse.

7/10!!!!!!! The story moves along at a swift pace and conveys a message about the destructive nature of people while being entertaining at the same time.

My full review can be found here.... http://www.movieforums.com/community...d.php?p=852327

this movie has some magic around it. I also think that it was quite bad but overall I liked it.I think it's because this movie has a great idea,a great soundtrack and a spectacular scenery.I was pleased with the acting,too.I think there are some problems with the plot and sometimes this movie just goes too far.