Planet of the Apes

Tools    

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I just downloaded the preview for this Tim Burton remake, and I've gotta say, I'm psyched. It looks awesome. Tim Burton has put his perfect personal twisted touch to it. Anyone else looking forward to this?

i'm definatly looking forward to this, it looks great, has a great director and a supurb cast. can't wait, just hope its not all hype.

MovieForums Extra
WOW, I didn't even know that they were doing a remake?!?! I can't wait, if it is anywhere near as good as the original, it looks to be one hell of a movie! Does anyone know when they plan to release it?! Also, do you think they'll make remakes of the sequels as well??

its out later this year, not sure exactly on the date though sorry

When I first heard there was going to be a remake, I wasn't excited at all. Usually remakes of good movies are horrible.

But after seeing some footage last week, I'm starting to get a little excited about the film.

Prepare to be less excited: it's not a remake. It's also not a sequel, or a prequel. It's some kind of changed version somewhat similar to the original. I'm seriously ticked off.

Actually, I think that a "rethinking" of the story is probably a better way to go. If they just did a straight remake, it would very likely pale in comparison to the original. Just having better special effects isn't going to make a better movie.

And I don't think there was anything else they could do sequel-wise. They ran out of gas on those before they finished making them.

Changing it a bit is fine, but I don't like the idea of *really* alterting it. If you don't think a remake will be good, then don't make anything. Don't mess with a classic.

MovieForums Extra
LOL Chris, I like the sound of that, "Don't mess with a classic" !! Remakes are usually not up to scratch compared to the original, but they still introduce a large audience to it which wouldn't have seen it otherwise...And it brings the movie into a more modern context (you know what I mean, modern sfx, filming technique, acting...etc). Either way, it'll be a blast, I'm almost sure of it!

Tim Burton is making a Planet of the Apes Remake?

"God D**n You Tim, God D**n you to hell"

"Get your paws off me, you damn dirty ape"

These lines cannot be in the movie. They're too often parodied to have the same value they once had. And I, for one, can't see Wahlberg doing a Charlton Heston impression. Hopefully, Wahlberg will bring a new character to the film. Unlike Vince Vaughn who just imitated Perkins.

I think the entire ending may have to be redone. It's too cliche. The statue of Liberty thing has been done to death.

They should have gone with a musical.

"He can talk, he can talk, he can talk"

"I can sIIIIIIIIINg"

OR

"You finally made a monkey out of meeEEEEE"

Still my favourite Simpsons episode.
[Edited by TWTCommish on 03-07-2001]

Oh no, I was wrong.
It was earth, all along.
I guess you finally made a monkey (yes we finally made am onkey)
I guess you finally made a monkey out of me...

Ooooh, help me Dr. Zauis!

Very funny. And yes, those lines have lost some serious impact, however, you can't leave them out. Things like this make me want to shun this movie.

I am looking forward to this movie too. It looks like it will probably become a Summer blockbuster.

Didn't see it.
I love Tim Burton movies. I'm pumped.

I am a massive fan of both the novel & original film. The message is just as relevant today, the irony is we need a wake up call(Fight Club). I have not enjoyed many remakes but this may well stick true to the novel's original themes.

I am a fan of Burton's & belive he is one of only a few directors up for the challenge of translating this tremendous novel to the big screen once more.

What Im saying is I don't encourage it but the remake does have potential. The make-up & effects look great as do the conceptual drawings I have seen.

That's the problem I have with this, Deckard: he's not translating things, he's making things up. Perhaps Burton is good for turning a novel into a movie, but what he's doing here is taking the concept of a Planet full of Apes, some astronauts - but that's about it. The rest is made up, and not based on the novel, basically.

MovieForums Extra
Oooh I've just seen a preview of it at the movies on a giant screen in the glory of full digital surround sound (not like the downloadable trailers ), and I must say, I'm even more psyched!! Now I can hardly wait!! It'll definitely be a big time hit!

Well, it's around 4 months later, and the wait is nearly over! POTA (odd acroynm) comes out on the 27th. I know I'm going to see it: what do the rest of you think? I'm a bit miffed that it's not a remake, OR a sequel, but a reworking of the concept. Simply put, this movie is going to have to be amazing to win me over. Remakes are good, sequels can be good, but a movie that simply takes an old idea and totally mixes it around? What the?

Anyway, I hear it has an amazing ending -- I doubt it will be comparable to the original's finale, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. I have no idea what to expect with this flick. I can picture it being quite amazing. I can imagine eating some crow...if the movie is really well made, with a storyline that is genuinely as original as the original, I think it could be amazing. On the other hand, I can see all too well how this movie could be a flop, both critically and comercially.

I was not high on this movie and I didn't really plan on seeing it until I started to see the recent trailers. Whoever put the trailers together did their job (I realize it helps when you have good images to work with, so from what I've seen, it looks like Burton and the rest of 'em have been doing a good job, too) because I am intrigued and I want to see this movie now.