The Greatest Film Ever Made (In My Opinion)

Tools    

Interstellar is great probably like Top 75 for me but Nolan's best work in my opinion is still The Dark Knight (I can't wait for Dunkirk.)

The best movie ever is American History X man.

I don't know...I do believe in objectivity, though and that something really is better than something else.

I loved the movie, and it's hard for me to compare it to The Dark Knight Trilogy. 2001 is my fave because it was so spectaculary groundbreaking and different from absolutely anything til and even since imo. (That's the least of the reasons, though, I love its story the most) So, if I had to make my final judgement, especially now that I've seen Citizen Kane, it would be 2001, cause of directing, music etc., so in the final analysis I disagree respectfully.

I just have to say this funny thing though. Imo, if there's such a thing as "the movie", it has GOT to be Star Wars of course, if for nothing else, then for its popularity. If a good part of the human race has developped an entire RELIGION on it, there has GOT to be something there, even though I can't bloody stand the fmovie! I find it particulary funny nobody mentioned it here, ok it's not the same type of SF, but still. I've always found funny Kane is considered the best, whilst Star Wars is the most popular.

Call it the greatest film if you want, but I'd contest the claim that it's a fresh and ambitious anomaly since it really does feel like a patchwork of other films that already traded in similar narratives, visual approaches, and thematics. 2001 would be the obvious point of comparison, but I also pick out similarities to Sunshine, Contact, and Gunbuster.
I agree, but it's sort of combo of...hell almost all genres. Maybe that's what's so specail about it.

Not really; just an invite for people to comment on my opinion, reasonably and maturely.

Don't want to say anything that'll over hype this film for you, I recommend to go into this with an open mind. But in terms of style; 2001 and Interstellar cannot be any more different, yet both are still very similar. 'Interstellar' is more heart pounding, both emotionally and how much It engages you, It's a race against time that unfolds into something more human in the latter run time of the film. '2001' is more haunting, and takes it's time to let the scenery soak in for you while the story unfolds into something more thought provoking and challenging. 'Citizen Kane' and 'Interstellar' are both really engaging, captivating, and enthralling stories. In terms of all 3 director's filmography; I can go on and on and on. Don't want to keep filling up this thread though
This I agree 100% on.

My personal pick for the greatest movie I know is My Neighbor Totoro. Why?

- it's acessible for all ages and many different cultures
- it's elegant and simple
- it's beautiful and artistically impressive
- it's entertaining without using plot contrivances
- it's infinitely rewatchable because it doesn't have a plot

Also I should point out that out that the world produces 6,600 theatrical movies per year, so nobody has an actually universal grasp of film and hence is qualified to judge the entire cinema of the world.

Interestelar is Nolan's best movie and one of the best movies hollywood produced in the last 5-6 years or so. I am a big fan of science fiction so I enjoyed it a lot. But it is a very culturally specific movie that appeals to very specific demographic and it is full of hollywood contrivances. So it doesn't achieve universality, maybe we need several decades to judge whether it's greatness will last and it will be remembered before we can claim it's great.

So far I put it in a league below the very best in Sci fi: 2001, Blade Runner, Stalker, Nausicaa and Gunbuster.
I think you're right, haven't seen it that way.

I could never get into Christopher Nolan movies but I admit to not having seen Interstellar. I may have to give it a try based on this thread. If I had to pick one film as being the best film ever made, one that hits all of the bases, that'd be impossible. I just hope Criterion releases Weird Science with tons of special features. Then I can just die already.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I could never get into Christopher Nolan movies but I admit to not having seen Interstellar. I may have to give it a try based on this thread. If I had to pick one film as being the best film ever made, one that hits all of the bases, that'd be impossible. I just hope Criterion releases Weird Science with tons of special features. Then I can just die already.
I like his movies normally but I walked out of Interstellar. Different strokes for different folks.

I don't actually wear pants.
I can't muster up the enthusiasm to see this film. It looks mediocre at best, and just a slog. Of course, the only Nolan film I like is Prestige, so it makes sense I would be less than enthusiastic to see another of his films.

But kudos to you! At least you enjoyed it, right? That's what counts.

I could never get into Christopher Nolan movies but I admit to not having seen Interstellar.
I could not finish Interstellar. Matthew M. was way OTT.

I can't muster up the enthusiasm to see this film. It looks mediocre at best, and just a slog. Of course, the only Nolan film I like is Prestige, so it makes sense I would be less than enthusiastic to see another of his films.

But kudos to you! At least you enjoyed it, right? That's what counts.
I didn't care for his Batman movies but I really liked Interstellar.

I don't actually wear pants.
I didn't care for his Batman movies but I really liked Interstellar.
Inception and Memento are bland, and Insomnia kind of sucks. My biggest problem with Nolan is that his dialogue sucks, but he wasn't the only one who wrote Prestige's dialogue.

Chris Nolan is an interesting director to me. He has all the makings of a great director but I don't think he is one. Yet one cannot deny that his films seem to have an extraordinarily passionate following and most directors could only dream of capturing the public imagination the way he has with the majority of his films.

Personally I have mixed feelings about his filmography as a whole though. On the one hand I admire films such as Memento and The Dark Knight, films with genuine thematic depth, but I'm also completely indifferent towards several of his other films including the likes of Insomnia, Inception and Interstellar.

I think there was another thread on her discussing The Prestige and I have to say that in my opinion, The Prestige is a textbook example of all style and no substance. The whole film essentially consists of a series of intricate narrative tricks that serve as adrenaline pumps and while that may seem inventive and innovative the first time around, it becomes tedious very quickly on repeated viewings. And significantly, the whole film doesn’t add up to anything beyond a series of gimmicks. There isn’t any real thematic depth here so why on earth should anyone care about any of it.

And the same goes for his much-acclaimed Inception. I'm most certainly in the minority in this one but I felt that Inception was a complete misfire. It's a film that is so desperate to sound smart that it comes off as tediously portentous but also, dare I say, sophomoric. It seems to me that Chris Nolan, one fine afternoon, picked up Sigmund Freud's "the Interpretation of Dreams" and decided to make a James Bond film around it with all the supporting characters acting as guest lecturers. Sadly I for one do not think that that makes great cinema.

In the case of Memento, there is genuine substance behind all those narrative gimmicks (unlike the Prestige). It’s about a very simple idea – a human being’s inability to be honest with himself about himself (something also alluded to in Kurosawa's Rashomon for those of you who have seen that film). With Memento, Nolan crafted a very simple and compelling study of self-delusion. It was interesting, challenging and was something approaching profundity (but not quite).

In The Dark Knight, he channelled into a very sensitive subject matter at the time – America’s War against Terror. The film depicts Batman responding to the Joker’s heinous acts of terror precisely as America responded to 9/11 – with extraordinary renditions (kidnapping of foreign citizens), coercive interrogations, warrantless surveillance. The most avid comic book readers can tell you that, stripped of all gadgets and costumes, the reason why the Batman-Joker conflict is so poetic at its core is because fundamentally, it's not a battle of strength, but of ideals (which we're all too familiar with today with the middle-east war and all). And the key question raised in the comics was "how does a man with principles win against a man with no principles, a man who has no value for anything including his own life?." In the Dark Knight, the question gets rephrased to how do you fight blind all-consuming terror through democratic institutions and is it necessary that sometimes, in order to preserve democratic values against terrorism, you have to betray them.

The Dark Knight was the first definitive post 9/11 film that doesn't go out of its way to zap the zeitgeist in primitively Bush-bashing fashion as have so many contemporary fiction and nonfiction filmmakers with a chip on their left shoulders. Rather it tells a darker, a more mature and an almost tragic story of how terror will always win because it has no rules. It is the story of the failure of the Bush-administration in its quest to fight terror whilst resigning to the fate that there is no victory in sight, only corruption. It also displays a director at the peak of his craft. There is chilling moment in the Dark Knight when the Joker leans outside of a police car and shakes his head in glee like a dog enjoying the winds of chaos blowing against his face. No scene from any of his other films even compares to the vision and artistry of this short segment of film. It baffles me that the director who made this film is the same one who went on to make Inception 2 years later.

And then we have Interstellar, a film that I find very difficult to take seriously (which is rather ironic because he directed his Batman films as if it's MacBeth). Interstellar is Chris Nolan's response to Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey. But whilst Kubrick's film was distinctly about God and about a human being creating/becoming his own God (inspired by Nietzsche's Thus Spoke Zarathustra), Nolan's film is about how love is what makes us human (and in the film it quite literally saves the future of the race). And in the painful conclusion to the film, he "philosophises" (to use the word loosely) that love is what transcends the fabric of spacetime itself and it's what allows Mr. Mcconaughey to communicate with his daughter when he's trapped between higher dimensions (whatever that means). And you think to yourself, did I just sit here for 2 1/2 hours only for the film to conclude by saying that although the equations of General Relativity break down beyond the event horizon of a blackhole, love between 2 human beings has the "power" to "escape" the blackhole's gravity allowing them to communicate with eachother across enormous spatial and temporal distances? With all due respect to Chris Nolan, this is the sort of thought that would probably earn a gold star if a girl of 10 came up with it but would (and should) be ridiculed for its sheer stupidity if an acclaimed film-maker thought it up.

I absolutely loath films where love is depicted as this mystical, spiritual, metaphysical connection between 2 human beings whereas in reality it's an utterly solitary fixation. Love is series of chemical imbalances in your body caused by excess hormone production. There's nothing mystical about it, it's very physical. If I inject you with a giant dose of oxytocin, you will literally feel like you're in love with the thing right in front of you (it could be your wife or it could be your dog) and if I treat you with a session of electroshock therapy that sucks all the oxytocin out of your brain, you'll feel like you can never love again. To equate love between human beings to some special signal that connects spatially/temporally separated events is to give hormone changes in human beings a privileged role in determining the grand structure of the universe which is something I cannot take seriously. I'm all for artistic abstractions but there is a limit to how far you can take an idea before it becomes downright ridiculous. Interstellar crosses that line and then some. Maybe if Nolan had read a little more Freud, he would've made a decent film here.

Amazing post. I really enjoyed that, NP.

And they say romance is dead
Just have a shot of oxytocin...or some chocolate. I think Paladin is spot on. The cheese factor in that movie, apart from a few other issues I had with it, made me gag.

Just have a shot of oxytocin...or some chocolate.
Can't, am on a diet

A system of cells interlinked
Great post, Paladin!

And they say romance is dead
If by romance you mean some spiritualistic metaphysical connection between 2 human beings, its inaccurate to say that it's dead because it was never alive in the first place. If you want to live in your own bubble of self-delusion (perhaps you'd prefer to call it artistic escape?) go ahead. Some of us, who are more interested in the real world, cannot take ideas of this sort seriously anymore in the 21st century. The value of all great art ultimately comes from the fact that it reveals truths about the real world not that it runs away from them.

If by romance you mean some spiritualistic metaphysical connection between 2 human beings, its inaccurate to say that it's dead because it was never alive in the first place. If you want to live in your own bubble of self-delusion (perhaps you'd prefer to call it artistic escape?) go ahead. Some of us, who are more interested in the real world, cannot take ideas of this sort seriously anymore in the 21st century. The value of all great art ultimately comes from the fact that reveals truths about the real world not that it run away from them.
Wow - way to overreact to a throwaway comment. You'll be trying to tell me the world ain't flat next

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
[snip]
I absolutely loath films where love is depicted as this mystical, spiritual, metaphysical connection between 2 human beings whereas in reality it's an utterly solitary fixation. Love is series of chemical imbalances in your body caused by excess hormone production. There's nothing mystical about it, it's very physical. If I inject you with a giant dose of oxytocin, you will literally feel like you're in love with the thing right in front of you (it could be your wife or it could be your dog) and if I treat you with a session of electroshock therapy that sucks all the oxytocin out of your brain, you'll feel like you can never love again. To equate love between human beings to some special connection between spatially/temporally separated events is to give hormone changes in human beings a privileged position in context of the universe which is something I cannot take seriously. I'm all for artistic abstractions but there is a limit to how far you can take an idea before it becomes downright ridiculous. Interstellar crosses that line and then some. Maybe if Nolan had read a little more Freud, he would've made a decent film.

I agree with most everything you posted. I thought the same about Interstellar. I also agree that Nolan really botched the transcendence of love ideal. I believe in the ideal as a matter of faith. Or, at least I have most of my life. As a story teller, I use that idealism as motivation for creation. It simply moves me, on a near spiritual level where spiritual is the only term I know to use to describe it.

I guess I mean to say that I love the idea of love and of something greater than reasoning and understanding. I love the idea of something greater because that is inspiring; of something that lasts beyond time and space in the most romantic sense. Science tells us what we know based on our observation. We cannot observe what we are ignorant of. We can, however, theorize. And we can dream. Ξcc++ by practical understandings did not exist until it was observed. Now it does---or at least we are now aware of its existence more than we were yesterday. Romanticizing the "what if?" can be very powerful. Dreaming can be very powerful.

Interstellar was a failure on that dream, IMO, and yes it was ridiculous. So much so that it offended me, as one who drinks the Kool-Aid. But that does not make the dream itself less meaningful.

Also, I loved your write-up.

ok. lunch time.

Interstellar was a failure on that dream, IMO, and yes it was ridiculous. So much so that it offended me, as one who drinks the Kool-Aid. But that does not make the dream itself less meaningful.

Also, I loved your write-up.

ok. lunch time.

That's beautiful