The Nature of Evil

Tools    

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
I have a monster question...well actually its more of a topic. What are your feelings on evil in movies?

-Can evil be measured?
-Can one evil man be more evil than another?
-What qualities go into being evil?
-Is evil something that is constant, or is it something that is circumstantial?
-How does being evil affect a character being villainous?
-If there is a gang of villains (all of which are evil) is their leader more evil than the rest of the bunch (take Die Hard as a broad example and then think to the larger picture)
-Is there such a thing as pure evil?
-Are any characters truely evil?
-If a film has multiple villains with character (such LOTR's Gollum, Sauron, and Saruman), can all of them be equally evil? What seperates the evil of the characters? Is there any one of them that is worse than the other? (use my examples to explain)

Plenty more points. The basic idea is to discuss how evil is used in movies, and The Nature of Evil in general.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Well, a lot of movies have an unbelievably simplistic, almost childlike take on good vs. evil. I personally like films that refuse the black and white of good vs. evil, and skew towards grey areas. LOTR: The Two Towers is a good example of this, in that while we're given good (Frodo) and Evil (Sauron), we're also given Gollum, who is neither. Gollum is an addict. In a bit of brilliant allegory, the Ring is Gollum's drug of choice, and he's more desperate for a fix than truly evil. He's more pathetic.

The best examples of this however are Princess Mononoke and strangely, Batman Returns. In Miyazaki's epic animated feature, there's no good or evil, only points of view. All the sides are trying to protect their respective ways of life, and none are played as being either right or wrong. It's really thought provoking for a cartoon. And bear with me, but the same goes for Tim Burton's super-hero sequel. Catwoman was not evil so much as abused and angry, looking for revenge on her cruel boss, but letting herself become a much worse monster in the process. And The penguin is a character trapped forever in a tortured adolescense, where acting out is the only way to get the attention his parents denied him, more tragic than evil. It's way better than most superhero films these days.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Thanks. That was a very nice post.

My main thought was on how villainy is influenced by evil, and the relation between being evil and being a villain. Do you have any thoughts on that or is that way too broad?

On Gollum: While what you said is 100% true, you forget 1 small thing: Gollum has dual personalities. One is the pathetic and weak addict, the other is the psychotic evil driven addict. (Or did I make Gollum out to be worse than he is?)

Also, who would you consider to be more evil from Raiders of the Lost Ark: Toht (the sadistic Nazi) or Belloq (the driven and greedy Rival to Indy)? Since they are both evil characters, are the equal in terms of badness? Because Belloq leads is he the more evil? Is there anything to seperate the evil or make one worse from the other? Should or even can evil be compared in such a way (measured?)

I loved your comments Monkeypunch. Could you comment a little further?

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Originally Posted by Beale the Rippe
Thanks. That was a very nice post.

Also, who would you consider to be more evil from Raiders of the Lost Ark: Toht (the sadistic Nazi) or Belloq (the driven and greedy Rival to Indy)? Since they are both eveil characters, are the equal in terms of badness? Because Belloq leads is he the more evil? Is there anything to seperate the evil or make one worse from the other? Should or even can evil be compared in such a way (measured?)
Well, the easy answer would be the Nazi, but honestly I would have to say Belloq. Belloq was a greedy sh*t who knew full well what he was doing was wrong, but pushed all morality out of the way for financial gain. Not to say the Nazis weren't evil, they definitely were, but Belloq was worse in that he knowingly sided with something so repugnant to meet his goals.

Thanks! What about Gollum?

there's a frog in my snake oil
Wheeey Monkey. Spot on for me that was. Bealey, i think you know some of my takes on polarisation, but i think i might define my idea of "evil" before i plow on (i never know if that should be plow or plough )

Alright, i'm prepared to use "evil" for very very very "bad" acts and intentions. My idea of "bad" acts/intentions can be summed up as: those that don't look for cooperative outcomes and practices where possible and are aimed towards either total personal gain or destruction and reduction in the quality of lives/the world around them. (actions that acheive those end results despite being better intentioned are still "evil" actions)

Hence, in a non-filmy example: i suspect biotech companies are frequently evil in thought and deed (coz i believe they don't give a flying **** about anything but profit, and what's more use a sheen of supposed altruism to draw people into thinking they're being "cooperative" - even worse! Some of them may be deluded, but if their over-all actions are evil, well then, i guess i think just that - the "actions" are evil, not any mis-guided people behind them who thought they were doing "good". But they still need a metaphorical smack in the face - or maybe a real one )

Films:

-Yeah, LOTR is a good example in some ways, coz their are varieties of "evil": - Saruman being humanly weak and siding with power not principal. Gollum then for giving in to his weaker "human/hobbit" sides too, but his over-all actions are "good" in the end, if accidently, so we can almost forgive a little. then there's Sauron of course - "pure" destruction/selfishness/domination "evil".

And on the other side we have some examples of "flawed" goodness, i.e. Boromir, who o'course redeems himself intentionally tho, the old king being manipulated by worm-tongue. Worm-tongue himself is pitiful direct "evil" o'course, but the others redeem themselves by changing their ways at the vital moment etc.

-I like the projection of "evil" encapsulated by the Architect and Agent Smith in the Matrix series: i.e. Smith's destructively one-dimensional thinking i.e. his need for a "purpose" to all actions over-rides everything else, and his aims and actions are purely selfish and destructive it seems. And the Archi's manipulative use of cooperation and domination intentions are also entirely selfish. Smith in some ways tho seems less aware/in control of his state, but his actions are never-the-less "evil".

Even Morpheus's apparent "goodness" is ironically muddled by the fact that: he acheived the best ends he could, but his thinking might hae lead to zion's destruction (not that we had a choice). Here we seem to have uncontrollabe/choice-less evil of sorts. i.e his knowledge limits his potential for "best" action (but that's true for all of us)

Both of these films give us gradients and varieties of good and bad intentions/actions. Nothing clear cut. Just like life. Very nice. (despite the obvious good-guy/bad-guy overtones + super-hero extensions. They contain the only good idea in star wars i.e. that "evil" and "good" are both within us and the choice is up to us. But they also contain suggestions of the impossibilty of choice in some situations, which make the situation rather than the indivdual evil in some ways. Tricky. Gollum and Smith for example - can we really blame them? Were the power-dynamics in effect too much for them to exert a free-will of sorts?)

-As for the the Indy example - i'd see them both as equally "evil" i.e. they both had selfish aims and destructive outcomes. Yet, we can imagine the archaeologist just had a misguided zeal for discovery, without an appreciation of cooperation/mutual-benefit's place in his attempts etc which good make them that much "greater" in theory, so perhaps he's even a smidgen less evil. Wouldn't like to set up a "sliding scale" as such generally - just a comparison in this case

-Finally, i'd say the makers of "U-571" were quite possibly "evil" in action, and possibly intent, coz they used a wildly unrealistic set of polarities to bring "reality" to a brain-numbing spectacle, and hence propogated these ideas sneakily while potentially not giving a damn about the repurcussions . Manipulation, or possibly just accidental "evil" action, who can tell ? If you disagree with my "evil" interpretation you know where you can take it up with me Bealey (but answer the previous points too )

Originally Posted by Golgot
-Finally, i'd say the makers of "U-571" were quite possibly "evil" in action, and possibly intent, coz they used a wildly unrealistic set of polarities to bring "reality" to a brain-numbing spectacle, and hence propogated these ideas sneakily while potentially not giving a damn about the repurcussions . Manipulation, or possibly just accidental "evil" action, who can tell ? If you disagree with my "evil" interpretation you know where you can take it up with me Bealey (but answer the previous points too )
Oh for the love of all that is holy.....

I'm not going to disagree with anyone at the moment. I'm just trying to see what the opinions are at the moment. Thanks for posting as well you two.

I guess my main point/question is, (I've had a lot of time trying to say this, and I hope I can do it properly this time), is there any way to seperate evil from evil? If someone is definately evil, and someone else is also definately evil, is it possible to seperate the two (through actions and motives)? Would that be fair? We clearly see a difference in both the 3 LOTR examples and in the 2 Raiders examples, but, since all of those characters are evil, can we say without question that one is worse than the other?

I still convey that very well. I'll think of a way sometime......but at the moment, do either of you know what I'm talking about? (I'd understand if you didn't.) Further comments?

On a side-note: Smith's desire for purpose is one of two things he cares about. The other is revenge, and revenge for actions against him he understands to be good (at least from Neo and our perspective). Smith is vicious and semi-psychotic. Definately an evil man.

But I'd really prefer we get off that, for the moment at least, and use my two examples, as they are the closest devices I have to conveying my point. Cool for the moment?

[yeah, o'course (tho Smith states his one purpose is revenge, so i tink my point contained that point ) Note also that he feels he has no control over some of his actions i.e. his refusal to leave the matrix/die etc. Plus, i thought he saw Neo's actions as "evil" in their own way, in that he had attacked that most precious of things to Smith etc i.e. "purpose" - his purpose. On a minor point, Neo has introduced confusion/doubt into Smith's world, which again must make him even more psychotic/human-hating than he was before. Ok, so psychotic, but does he have a choice? Is he hard-wired and a pure production of his environment and events? How much free-will the machines have is also an issue in the film i think]

Whoops, strange way to agree to leave it

So you want to stick with Gollum and the Indy example then? I think i laid out my stall on them for now - what d'you think?

I'm not going to disagree with anyone at the moment. I'm just trying to see what the opinions are at the moment. Thanks for posting as well you two.

I guess my main point/question is, (I've had a lot of time trying to say this, and I hope I can do it properly this time), is there any way to seperate evil from evil? If someone is definately evil, and someone else is also definately evil, is it possible to seperate the two (through actions and motives)? Would that be fair? We clearly see a difference in both the 3 LOTR examples and in the 2 Raiders examples, but, since all of those characters are evil, can we say without question that one is worse than the other?

I still convey that very well. I'll think of a way sometime......but at the moment, do either of you know what I'm talking about? (I'd understand if you didn't.) Further comments?
Check out this post.

I thought yours was grand.

heheh, cheers. I missed that. Cool, i'd say, from my "measuring tool" for "evil" (tho i'm very suspcious of absolutes in this area) that it pertains most of all to outcomes, but this can be lessened a little perhaps if the active person was as informed as possible and well-meaning. You'd have to say that someone who's trying to be "evil", and whose actions result in "evil" are the most "evil", surely? (damn, i'm gonna run out of quote marks )

Originally Posted by Golgot
heheh, cheers. I missed that. Cool, i'd say, from my "measuring tool" for "evil" (tho i'm very suspcious of absolutes in this area) that it pertains most of all to outcomes, but this can be lessened a little perhaps if the active person was as informed as possible and well-meaning. You'd have to say that someone who's trying to be "evil", and whose actions result in "evil" are the most "evil", surely? (damn, i'm gonna run out of quote marks )
I'm not so sure. I've run into a major moral problem. I'm not sure what evil is to me any more. At the moment I'm thinking that an evil character would be as evil as another regardless...but then again....can you help me out? Maybe write one of your classic long posts that go really in depth? (Leave politics at the door!!!!)

Mr bush may not come in. The session is about to begin (sorry, most inappropriate)

Seriously B, i've been trying to define to myself recently what my morality is based on. If you can bear it you could try and look at what i've been trying to communicate to Yodes/explain to myself during chats on the recent gay-marriage thread.

the way i see it - we shouldn't try to come up with full on abstract-objective moral values (as, unfortunately, we are compelled to do when we try to take moral "constants" from the bible, or in other belief-structures). i.e. trying to settle on a set of rules and then apply them to life is too narrowing/inflexible i think. These are things, that if they do exist, our minds can't contain. (only "god's" could)

So my solution is a kind of "we-and-the-earth-are-all-connected" hippyish one (but i'm quite taken with it ) What i mean by that is that the world around us, the one that has been developing and testing itself against itself for so long, is the one CONSTANT we can rely on. It's ever changing yet ever the same. It should be our god in my opinion. There's nothing more important, or "good", in this world to me than trying to search out the balances between inevitable competiton and desirable cooperation. I see this as a kind of bad and good in some ways. Neither on it's own can exist - so let's recognise our interdependence (human-human, and human-world). The "best" decision is that which searches out the best result for all while satisfying the demands of personal survival. By "worshipping" the balances around us we are focused on the most important things i think. The health of ourselves and our environment.

The way i see it, human societies have become too engrossed in the wrong things. We think "happiness" should be our permenant state, or that possessions and being "number one" will provide us with what we want. i don't even think these things do that. They just make us focus on the wrong things. I'm a practical man, and i'll compete when nescessary (which is every day in one way or another), but what i see as "evil" is this idea of total selfishness that can pervade our societies. Even religions, im afraid, can get too embroiled in power-politics, assertions of abstract goods and bads, and argument over interpretation of static written records etc. I'm afraid i believe this also side-tracks us from the most beautiful "aim" or "purpose" we can aspire too ..... keeping the balances going (or these days redressing the balances). These thoughts (and potentially actions, tho of course i doubt i'm ever fully as "good" as i should be) give me unmeasurable pleasure sometimes. And generally i feel like my life is pointing in the right direction coz of these concepts and beliefs.

Deciding what the right choice is is always the biggest prob. Again, not forming absolute ideas allows us to be that little bit more open to other interpretations of the world and possible solutions. As individuals we are limited, but from listening to others with the openest mind possible (erm, bit guilty of not always doing that when i argue with yoda, but anyway), from "listening" to the unconscious knowledge and "beliefs" available to us if we just "empty" our minds occasionally and let the ego slip away a bit, we get that little bit closer to the huge web of living interaction that is our role in life (whether we like it or not )

Bad actions for me are those that limit potential cooperation, over-emphasise competition, and treat the world as a seperate "objective" entity which we can do what we like to without repurcussion. That for me is like ****ting on god, and on ourselves correspondingly. We all have a little bit of god inside us (but not in our "egos"/the person we consider "i/me" - i don't think - not as such anyway) - it's that part of us that is communal with all these things. It's that part of us that has "grown" over millenia to some extents, testing itself against the "truths" of the world (i.e our body/mind - the ego is a transient necessity which we invent mainly thru experience and denial - i believe. It's indivdual to each of us, but as such seperates us from "god" ). There's nothing more undeniable and demonstrable than the balances of ferocity and nourishment found in the world around us - it's just getting passed our ego-led domination (rather than dominion, in it's original interpretation) that we need to acheive. At the moment the human race is far too wrapped up in itself, and that exaggerrates our potential for "evil" under my definition.

Ego-led decisions area a bane, but nescessary/unavoidable. So, don't beat yourself up trying to come to a logical conclusion about everything - use a mixture of: the consciously-constructed information we have about the world; the instinctive ("unthinking"!) knowledge and appreciations of ourselves and people around us; the fine balances displayed in everything from earth to concrete (well, the balances in human structures are more obvious and "base" in many ways i believe - but how we treat/use them constitutes a balance of sorts); the world reflected in a dew drop and the "miracle" of evaporation-n-condensation Conscious knowledge will shift, but many of these things will change yet be the same [unless we screw things up too much od course - thinking we "own" the world, rather than being very small partners in it).

Don't worry too much about purpose or meaning - these are distractions. We are all capable of evil acts, but recognising them and learning from them is vital. Acknowledging your "evil" (overly-selfish) side as it were is therefore vital too.

To say you know conclusively how something is is to be a fool (so i won't )

I really don't have clear cut answers - coz that's not really my way. I hope some of this made some sort of sense, and that it wasn't too patronising or hippy-like I see our conscious minds as being made up of both logical and holistical thought i.e. the opposing disciplines/tendancies of examing the finite, measurable and theorhetically infinite, compared with letting the complexity and interactions of the inconceivable complexity of the world impress itself upon you. Use these tendancies, examine and "be examined" by the world if you like. Don't succumb to rigidity or insistence on understanding everything. Be happy that you don't. The inevitable confusion that comes with this is just a prompt to keeping sifting, lifting rocks and standing calmly at dock. While knowing full well that the world rocks, and so do we, when we just encourage our best selves to be. There is no final destination [other than returning to the earth and feeding it, ideally - and leaving your mark from how you've been], no measuring stick for life other than the journey itself and the journey of all those that have gone before, laid out around us for all to see.

Do these things, and i think you'll see it rubs off on others. Then go hug a tree

Don't worry Bealey, understanding everything isn't required. Being "understanding" kind of is

Right, nuff blather. I should be watching Battleship Potemkin (and i just dropped my poor video before. Poo )

A book that addresses most of these issues in "horribly" complex depth is "zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance". by R. Pirsig [or summat like that]. Sounds silly but it's actually one of the broadest ranging books i've ever read that managed to come to some conclusions, and beautifully too. And not to worry, he doesn't actually mention zen once I highly recommend it, tho i also warn you that to get through it you have to keep reading when your personality is screaming at you that it's rubbish and you should throw it at the wall. You'll find it stupid, simplistic, idiotic, impenetrable and many other aggravating things - and indeed i'm not saying tis "truth" on a plate, but if you come out the otherside i near guarantee you'll be a changed man. I found it amazing (on my second attempt) but it helped that i had a background in philosophy i think. It's infuriating, and requires a dedicated three months, but i recommend it to everyone having this type of doubt about conflicts in their lives. Most people come away with just a few things from it, but even that is good enough.

Keep seeing the beauty bealey - it really genuinely is all around us and within us.

Go with whichever god you choose brother.

Tom

(god i'm such a fecking hippy )

This isn't my argument, but I'll interject briefly anyway:
  • The "polarization" of good and evil is good thing, not a bad one. While it's true that it's rare (if even possible) for someone to really and truly embody evil, certain ACTIONS can.

It may be overly simplistic to tell your child that "bad men" blew up the World Trade Center...but that doesn't mean it's wrong to do so. It is precisely this kind of polarity which is responsible for many of history's heroic acts. If the downside to this benefit is that people sell Osama bin Laden urinal cakes, then so be it.

• In my view, good can live without evil...but the same is not true in reverse. Evil is nothing more than perverted good. Even the sadist derives pleasure from the pain they inflict. Lewis put it perfectly: badness is only spoiled goodness.

• The idea that we cannot label something as "good" or "evil" for fear of not being as open to contrary points of view strikes me as a very dangerous one. Views of good and evil are the most basic of society...without them we absolutely, positively cannot function. I refuse to advocate that we handcuff ourselves in the name of absolute open-mindedness.

Heheheh, i'm going to cheekily jump in b4 Yoda's reply arrives and correct a few over-statements by me above:

-the one that seems to say i think there's no "God" in our ego-mind. I was going too far. There surely is, under my definition. That just means goodness and badness after all. THe balances are all represented there too - tho ther reason i exagerrated is coz i feel our conscious-minds/egos have been unbalanced by some ideas/beliefs that have become too prevelant.

-the thing where i say the world is objective - and then seem to say later that's ****ting on the world. However, the distinction, that i did make tho it's not clear, is that thinking of the world as an ojective thing SEPERATE FROM OURSELVES is the mistake. Hope that's clearer (and of course - i still don't claim this objective is knowable - or that our interpretations of it are therefore 100% true - tho of course i do admit our flawed appraisals might/must well line up with !))% consistancies, we just can't ever KNOW completely that this is so)

There's probably other over-slantings, but i'm trying to balance these things. It's the day-to-day forever swaying the infinite. Keep those balances balancing (not either-or but either-and )

Great points Yoda. Thanks.

(BTW...I've been searching myself for a LONG time now for what I believe on evil....I'm not quite there yet, but I think I might be close enough to post what I've come up with sometime very soon.....)

Originally Posted by Yoda
This isn't my argument, but I'll interject briefly anyway:
  • The "polarization" of good and evil is good thing, not a bad one. While it's true that it's rare (if even possible) for someone to really and truly embody evil, certain ACTIONS can.

It may be overly simplistic to tell your child that "bad men" blew up the World Trade Center...but that doesn't mean it's wrong to do so. It is precisely this kind of polarity which is responsible for many of history's heroic acts. If the downside to this benefit is that people sell Osama bin Laden urinal cakes, then so be it.
  • Again it's the 100% problem that steps in. i.e. if we extend that logic, coz the CIA trained Osama and friends, that means they too are 100% evil too by this logic. We could extend this to america. This is why a pinch of salt is always best in the meal of life. I.E. Osama IS a "bad man" - but we must remember there are reasons for this. It doesn't take away from his actions, it just explains them and shows that underneath he too has some "good" in him, even if it is entirely swamped by the "bad"

• In my view, good can live without evil...but the same is not true in reverse. Evil is nothing more than perverted good. Even the sadist derives pleasure from the pain they inflict. Lewis put it perfectly: badness is only spoiled goodness.
Yeah, this is the problem with the God vs Devil dichotomy (seperation). I believe a realistic concept of God shoulds contain BOTH Good and Evil.

Basically, aiming at becoming more like God is very respectable - but there's a major flaw involved. i.e. the CONCEPT of God as pure-goodness etc requires us to decide what the nature of the goodness-alone is. I don't really believe goodness-alone can exist. Life is a balance. And our attempts to formulate this perfect abstraction require human faculties to become involved that are flawed (i.e. not pure-goodness).

Lewis's definition could be stretched to apply to my arguement : i.e. that pure badness as an idea could be us "spoiling" our potential for best-goodness. (tho ultimately it does seem to be communicating the misnomer of positing the either-or of good-bad as you do)

• The idea that we cannot label something as "good" or "evil" for fear of not being as open to contrary points of view strikes me as a very dangerous one. Views of good and evil are the most basic of society...without them we absolutely, positively cannot function. I refuse to advocate that we handcuff ourselves in the name of absolute open-mindedness.
  • Only labelling something as absolute-good or absolute-bad (100%) is problematic really. Yods, you should know that what i'm arguing, on the 100% and decision-making front is a compromise - between your natural POV and mine (tho i feel i've moved more into a practical middle region than you have) i.e .We should use the quick-decision-practicality of strongly held beliefs (tho i'd prefer to see this POV never be in the 100% realm, but up in the 90%s etc - tho again this percentage assessment is too limiting - if practical ) merged with the slow-n-thourough-n-adaptive-decision-making process which allows for better over-all decisions (if too-profuse when taken alone). Again, neither is valid alone. Seeing as people quite literally have preferences for one or the other we should learn to appreciate the differences in others and "cooperate" i.e. try to move towards the other preference a bit, but also recognise how we'll naturally be pre-disposed to our own favourite.

(we might even be born with these preferences - you should check out information about the different roles of the hemispheres and how we often "prefer" one slightly over the other i.e. the left-hemisphere's insistence on internal rules/consistancy and the right-hemisphere's insistence on checking-the-rules-against-new-information/change. These are both fundamentals of our thought-processes. Try Dr Ramachandran's Phantoms in the Brain [especially chapter 7] and much of McManus's "Right hand, left hand" for some really amazing facts and theorising)

I continually refine my attempts at making myself more "logical", to balance out my "holistic" preference. Talking with you has been very useful concerning this. I'm not sure if you are taking the same advantage of our conversations i.e. trying to move a bit more towards holisticism, relativity etc and recognising the benefits involved.

Golgot
    Great points Yoda. Thanks.

(BTW...I've been searching myself for a LONG time now for what I believe on evil....I'm not quite there yet, but I think I might be close enough to post what I've come up with sometime very soon.....)
    Oh dear, don't let Yoda help you have a relapse His points leave something to be desired in certain core areas IMHO

Reply to Topic