Netflix coming out with The Dark Crystal prequel series?

Tools    

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/dark...ix-1202433655/

"A prequel series to the Jim Henson film “The Dark Crystal” has been greenlit at Netflix, the streaming service announced Thursday.

The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance” returns to the world of Thra with an all new adventure. When three Gelfling discover the horrifying secret behind the Skeksis’ power, they set out on an epic journey to ignite the fires of rebellion and save their world. It has been ordered for 10 episodes.

“Now You See Me” director Louis Leterrier will executive produce the series and direct. The Jim Henson Company will produce, with Lisa Henson and Halle Stanford also executive producing. Longtime Henson collaborator Rita Peruggi will serve as producer and Henson’s Blanca Lista will serve as a co-executive producer. Leading the writing are co-executive producers Jeffrey Addiss, Will Matthews, and Javier Grillo-Marxuach.

“Louis Leterrier is passionate about the world of ‘The Dark Crystal’ and has an incredible creative vision for the series,” said Lisa Henson, CEO of The Jim Henson Company. “He brings this passion to every facet of the production as he leads the talented team of artists and writers that are bringing this entire universe to life. Netflix has a deep respect for my father’s original work and the many people it inspired. They are the perfect partners to create this next epic chapter in ‘The Dark Crystal’ story for new fans and the loyal fans who have waited so long for more adventures from this world.”"

Ok they're got some puppetry going on, but this looks very slick. Almost too slick.

What made the original movie so good was it was all practical effects, puppets, men-in-suit tech, actual sets and matt-paintings... and a hell of a lot of talent.

I'd be far more impressed if they actually had no greenscreens and didn't blanket the whole thing with CG backgrounds.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Day. After. My. Birthday.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is going to be lovely.

It's Only Weird If You Make It Weird
I don't know. I just can't get excited for this. It looks incredible but there's something that just doesn't feel right.

I hope it is good though

A system of cells interlinked
From the trailers, I fear this will be infested with current day political commentary. If so, I will probably bail pretty earlier.

From the trailers, I fear this will be infested with current day political commentary. If so, I will probably bail pretty earlier.
Prophecy foretold of a golden-haired traveler that would one day break a shard from the great crystal, splitting the urSkeks into opposing halves of the same being.

EDIT:

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Boldly going.
I'm looking forward to watching this tonight, though I think I can guess the ending of this series, and I imagine it will be bitter-sweet, like the ending of Revenge of the Sith, with Jenn and Kiri being born and taken-in by the Mystics.

Loved this. I binged it over the weekend and was blown away. Almost like a PG (pobably should be PG-13 with themes and violence) version of Game of Thrones. With puppets. Not sure how age appropriate this is for children given the Jim Henson brand, but they did also give us Mirrormask so. My only issue was the kinetic camera and constant dolly motions. But I guess it helps create tension in the frame to compensate for puppetry limitations. The story was not when I assumed it would take place so I still have a lot of questions but it was epic and really opened up this world. And it is dark. Very dark and even scary at times.I never once questioned the world presented.

Lovely series and I hope they continue it.

The Dark Crystal: Age Of Resistance has been officially shelved after only one season.

Fans have been eagerly awaiting the second season for almost a year now, but the Henson company and Netflix have now officially stated that they are binning the production.
The original season of the show made a bit of a splash after it was announced that they wouldn't be using CGI in the production, but would use puppetry and animatronics, men in suits, and matte-paintings, like the original 1982 movie.
Some fans were left upset though when the series appeared to be heavily dependant on CGI backgrounds and characters.
The show still garnered a lot of attention and respect though due to the real-life puppets and man-in-suit technology that was actually used.

The cancellation of Age Of Resistance is a prime example of how talentless and soulless the TV and movie industry has become in the last 20 years.
The reasons behind the cancellation is that making full seasons of a show, using olde-school techniques, is far too expensive, laborious... and far too difficult... for modern studios and modern filmmakers to handle.