ID Request: Classic Wartime / Romance Film

Tools    

I am hoping that you can help identify a movie that I used to watch when I was younger - part of me believes that I dreamed myself watching it and the other part of me thinks that it is going to be an extremely well known/common film (and I will feel silly at the end of this).

The movie is a war time/romance movie and set in either WWI or WWII and most likely in England. I am pretty sure it is in black and white or technacolor.

I vaguely remember a few scenes from it and they are as follows: 1. girl finds out guy has to leave for war and throws engagement ring into the front yard of a house 2. resources are scarce and girls are all in their petty coats doing some sort of clothing exchange and fighting over clothing 3. guy is returning from war and jumps out of plane and lands in girls canoe (hokey, I know).

Does this sound familiar to anyone out there?
Thanks

I am hoping that you can help identify a movie that I used to watch when I was younger - part of me believes that I dreamed myself watching it and the other part of me thinks that it is going to be an extremely well known/common film (and I will feel silly at the end of this).

The movie is a war time/romance movie and set in either WWI or WWII and most likely in England. I am pretty sure it is in black and white or technacolor.

I vaguely remember a few scenes from it and they are as follows: 1. girl finds out guy has to leave for war and throws engagement ring into the front yard of a house 2. resources are scarce and girls are all in their petty coats doing some sort of clothing exchange and fighting over clothing 3. guy is returning from war and jumps out of plane and lands in girls canoe (hokey, I know).

Does this sound familiar to anyone out there?
Thanks
Is it "Yanks" from 1979 with Vanessa Redgrave?

Vaguely reminds of Mountain of Diamonds

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Seconding Hope and Glory.
I remember the scene where the girls were arguing over clothing in a store-like environment. I remember another scene drawing lines on their legs to simulate silk stockings---if that rings any more bells. Also, I think that was the movie where they find a can of jelly or something. The mom is scared it is poisoned. The oldest son opens the can, sticks his finger inside and eats a sample. He might have feigned a choke to get a laugh from the family, but I could also be mixing that up with Alien. Or something else entirely.