My Favorite Movie Father and Sons

Tools    

The father and son relationship has been at the heart of movies for years and sometimes it is not the central plot of the film, but the relationship can still be a standout element of the movie. The following is a list of my favorite movie fathers and sons:

Dylan Harper and Mr. Harper, Friends with Benefits

Dylan (Justin Timberlake), a graphic artist for GQ magazine, never allows his relationship with a sexy lady exec (Mila Kunis) get in the way of his relationship with his dad (Richard Jenkins), who is suffering from Alzheimers and is NOT happy about it.

Abbie and Abe, Memories of Me

At the insistence of his girlfriend (JoBeth Williams), a very bitter man (Billy Crystal) attempts to make peace with his father (Alan King), a wanna be actor who never achieved the career he wanted but still managed to neglect his son.

Samuel & Michael Eaton, From the Terrace

Samuel (Leon Ames) could never reconcile himself that son Michael (Paul Newman) was never the businessman he wanted him to be and Michael couldn't let go of the belief that Samuel turned Michael's mother (Myrna Loy) into an alcoholic.

Sonny and Lenny Colfax, Big Daddy

Sonny (Adam Sandler) is a lazy law school graduate living off an accident settlement who wants to become legal guardian to a child and Lenny (Joseph Bologna) is a lawyer who thinks his son is a bum and has no business being responsible for a child.

Penny and Jody Baxter, The Yearling

Penny (Gregory Peck) was a frontiersman who supported his son (Claude Jarman Jr.) in his desire to raise a young doe as a pet.

Billy and TJ Flynn, The Champ (1979)

Billy (Jon Voight) is an ex-boxer trying to re-start his boxing career without losing custody of his son TJ (Ricky Shcroder).

King Mongkut & Prince Chululongkorn, The King & I

Mongkut (Oscar winner Yul Brynner) is the tyrannical 19th century ruler of the country to eventually be known as Thailand whose pride regarding his eldest son and heir to the throne (Patrick Adiarte) blinds him to the fact that the Prince is confused by some of his father's ways, terrified about becoming king, but loves his mother nconditionally.

Marshall and Charlie, Vice Versa

For my money, the best of the 1980's "body switch" comedies...Marshall (Judge Reinhold) and his son, Charlie (Fred Savage) make combat with a Tibetan skull which transfers Marshall's brian to Charlie's body and Charlie's brain to Marshall's body.

Tom & Eddie Corbett, The Courthip of Eddie's Father

Tom (Glenn Ford) is a widower being quietly pushed back into the dating game by his young son (Ronny Howard).

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Tom (Glenn Ford) is a widower being quietly pushed back into the dating game by his young son (Ronny Howard).
Ha I dont know if I ever saw that but check out Ronny!

Ha I dont know if I ever saw that but check out Ronny!
The movie became a sitcom about a dozen years later with the late Bill Bixby and Brandon Cruz playing Tom and Eddie.

Christopher and Charlie Boyce, The Falcon and the Snowman

Christopher (Timothy Hutton) is a former alter boy whose life in the shadow of his father (Pat Hingle), a former FBI agent, has made his relationship with Dad strained at best, a relationship primarily presented in backstory here, but it comes through in the way the pair tip toe around each other now.

You can't win an argument just by being right!

Christopher and Charlie Boyce, The Falcon and the Snowman

Christopher (Timothy Hutton) is a former alter boy whose life in the shadow of his father (Pat Hingle), a former FBI agent, has made his relationship with Dad strained at best, a relationship primarily presented in backstory here, but it comes through in the way the pair tip toe around each other now.
Great movie, Gid. Even better book.

Clifford and Clarence Worley, True Romance

Clarence (Christian Slater) and his new bride (Patricia Arfquette) have to go on the run but Clarence makes the fatalistic decision to visit his retired policman dad, Clifford (Dennis Hopper), which gets Dad in hot water.

Byron and Zack Mayo, An Officer and a Gentleman

Though their time onscreen together was brief, we learned how much Byron (the late Robert Loggia) shaped Zack (Richard Gere) into the type of guy he was and why the military was so important to him.

Buck and Phil Weston, Kicking and Screaming

Phil (Will Ferrell) has relationship with dad, Buck (Robert Duvall) that suffers due to his dad's extremely competitive nature, evidenced in Buck benching his own grandson from the kids soccer team he coaches, which motivates Phil to take over coaching an opposing team.